British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Future Of Scunthorpe Scorpions

This is very very worring indeed; and you have to feel for Rob and the management team; who put the heart and sole into Scunthorpe Speedway.

But realistically I just cannot see where the 200 extra fans are going to come from between now and the 31 August and that makes it all the more worrying.

There is no doubt that we are seeing week in week out some of the best speedway action on these shores served up at the EWR; and yet that is not enough to get enough regular fans through the turnstile to safeguard the tracks future.

I have said before on this forum; the fact that the Scorpions are propping up the Premier League; this season is not a big deal for me; as I am there and appreciate a hammer and tongs; down to the wire match; where we may end up losing. But for non diehards the team has to be winning and challenging it would seem.

Every home meeting is a round trip from Bradford of 130 miles for us. We lost speedway in West Yorkshire nearly twenty years ago and there's no chance of any revival anytime soon. When Bradford closed we spent some time in the "wilderness" as speedway fans; having been regulars since the 1970's. It was Scunthorpe Speedway that brought us back to the sport regularly five or so years ago. One Friday we just said lets go to Scunny; and we loved the track; the team and Robs honest approach to running the club. We we're hooked again.

To think of not being able to leave work on a Friday and head down the M62 to Scunny is a sad thought; but we are probably a rare breed to have adopted Scunthorpe as our home team 65 miles away!. We have followed the team up and down the country as well since we got the bug back; so trust me there is something worth fighting for as far as we are concerned.

Really we should be the icing on the cake in terms of supporters; because the core support should be from Scunthorpe and surrounding. That said I am still perplexed where all the speedway fans down the M62 corridor have disappeared to?. I suppose the answer is with the loss of Bradford; Halifax and Hull; nigh on two generations have never been to a speedway meeting so this has been very damaging for the sport as a whole. Some children have grown up never knowing what the sport is all about.

Look around you at speedway meetings; even at Cardiff this weekend I would estimate that over 50% must have been middle aged. Correct me if you think that's wrong by all means. Certainly when I scan the Scunthorpe crowd; that appears to be the case and it may be higher than 50%. There are just not enough young people engaged with speedway and that's despite having some really talented motorcyclists and likeable guys out there on the track. Unlike football they are dedicated, approachable; personable and knowledgeable about their sport. You would think that young people would buy into that and be attracted to a sport where you can literally rub shoulders with your hero's.

Poor attendances are not a Scunthorpe only problem; a look in at any track during the week will evidence that the sport is in decline. Speedway happens because of the dedication of people like Rob; who (like us) still remember the halcyon days of the 70's-80's when a 5000 crowd on a Saturday night at the Shay was not uncommon. Back then your local speedway was likely to be situated close to the town centre. Just think for a minute about all the tracks that have been lost from towns up and down the land. Many were in fairly established stadiums; that although dated; were sited close to where the support lived. Contrast to now; where most speedway tracks have been forced out into the fields; Scunthorpe is just one example.

Look the EWR is a credit to Rob and the management team; but the amenities are fairly basic. For me as a speedway fan; I can get over that; for us its about the racing; the team; the riders. But for floating fans they just don't "get it" like we do; so the fact that there is precious little seating or covered accommodation might be a factor; and the racing as great as it is; may not be enough of a pull for some folks. Have a look at American baseball; it plays to packed houses and basically all it is; is rounder's. But its not just the baseball fans turn up for; its the eats; the drinks and social side. If you look at the crowd; you will see that some fans are not even watching the game. Yet it plays to thousands.

I recently went along to Kinsley Greyhound Track near Pontefract for nights racing. Years ago I had a look at Kinsley dog track for a potential speedway track and nearly got run out of town by the then owner!. But I was back a couple of weeks ago; and the attendance was higher than we get at the EWR definitely. I am no greyhounds fan; but the night was fairly enjoyable; we went in two coaches from the football club. We probably stuck extra 100 on the gate; that included many local residents. It was £10 in and with that we had a free bet; free drink and a meal (that was half decent to be fair).

Excuse me; as I am writing as I am thinking; but I know there is a darn sight more on offer from a nights speedway at Scunthorpe than a night at the Greyhounds; yet the locals at Kinsley seem to be buying what's on offer. They know they can go there; have a beer; bet and meal; its sociable more than anything; but comfortable whilst your there. As I say this is not a dig at the facilities at the EWR; but I am sure you see the point. Can we be offering more in the way of facilities a place to hang out at?.

I know that this is looking to a future that we may not have; but if we had one; then I would be having a word with Scunthorpe FC and seeing if any of the fixtures and fittings out of Glanford Park could be taken up to the EWR. Certainly replace the seating opposite the start gate; and could we nab a Stand or part of one ?. Plus anything else that might be recycled and can be used to enhance the facilities at the speedway. Just an idea; and sure that someone might already have thought of that.

Back to the speedway; the team this year was very much set up to entertain; and we think it has definitely delivered on that front. But it has not been a winning team and that's possibly why the locals have not bought into it. That said we have been right out of any sort of luck; Josh out; Ryan out; David Howe out of it from the word go?. Defeats home and away and bottom of the league all convey the opposite of what we want to say I suppose; yet the racing has been superb. Also moving on favourites like Birko and Tommy Gun; although that may be a lesser consideration.

I could go on and on; about the structure of the sport and how we might revive its fortunes. For me we are where we are; and letting it disappear is not an option; I think we all have to back those people like Rob and the team who put everything into making the show go on week in week out. I have written at length on this forum about speedways future; and I believe we have to be prepared to change and re-launch the product at its most sustainable level. Right now I see that as the Premier League; and preferably on a regionalised basis. Bring more variation into each tracks race programme. Look at what is going on around the speedway on race days; particularly hospitality and facilities. The presentation; the relationship of riders and spectators, and the branding of the league and the clubs to give clear identity.

Perhaps I have gone on long enough for now; but all we can do is keep backing the team and hoping that the local people in Scunthorpe and surrounding see enough value in Scunthorpe Speedway between now and 31 August 2015. Come on guy's if we can care enough to make it a 140 mile round trip to back the Scorpions surely you can roll out of bed and get your backsides trackside and Save YOUR Speedway!. I can assure you of this YOUR A LONG TIME GONE.

Just another thought; does someone want send this to the Scunthorpe Telegraph; along with other contributions on this thread; as part of a rallying call to folks in Scunny to wake up before its too late. As fact is those 200 folks we need to get through the turnstile like as not; wont stray onto this forum; meaning we are actually preaching to the converted.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 6

This is very very worring indeed; and you have to feel for Rob and the management team; who put the heart and sole into Scunthorpe Speedway.

But realistically I just cannot see where the 200 extra fans are going to come from between now and the 31 August and that makes it all the more worrying.

There is no doubt that we are seeing week in week out some of the best speedway action on these shores served up at the EWR; and yet that is not enough to get enough regular fans through the turnstile to safeguard the tracks future.

I have said before on this forum; the fact that the Scorpions are propping up the Premier League; this season is not a big deal for me; as I am there and appreciate a hammer and tongs; down to the wire match; where we may end up losing. But for non diehards the team has to be winning and challenging it would seem.

Every home meeting is a round trip from Bradford of 130 miles for us. We lost speedway in West Yorkshire nearly twenty years ago and there's no chance of any revival anytime soon. When Bradford closed we spent some time in the "wilderness" as speedway fans; having been regulars since the 1970's. It was Scunthorpe Speedway that brought us back to the sport regularly five or so years ago. One Friday we just said lets go to Scunny; and we loved the track; the team and Robs honest approach to running the club. We we're hooked again.

To think of not being able to leave work on a Friday and head down the M62 to Scunny is a sad thought; but we are probably a rare breed to have adopted Scunthorpe as our home team 65 miles away!. We have followed the team up and down the country as well since we got the bug back; so trust me there is something worth fighting for as far as we are concerned.

Really we should be the icing on the cake in terms of supporters; because the core support should be from Scunthorpe and surrounding. That said I am still perplexed where all the speedway fans down the M62 corridor have disappeared to?. I suppose the answer is with the loss of Bradford; Halifax and Hull; nigh on two generations have never been to a speedway meeting so this has been very damaging for the sport as a whole. Some children have grown up never knowing what the sport is all about.

Look around you at speedway meetings; even at Cardiff this weekend I would estimate that over 50% must have been middle aged. Correct me if you think that's wrong by all means. Certainly when I scan the Scunthorpe crowd; that appears to be the case and it may be higher than 50%. There are just not enough young people engaged with speedway and that's despite having some really talented motorcyclists and likeable guys out there on the track. Unlike football they are dedicated, approachable; personable and knowledgeable about their sport. You would think that young people would buy into that and be attracted to a sport where you can literally rub shoulders with your hero's.

Poor attendances are not a Scunthorpe only problem; a look in at any track during the week will evidence that the sport is in decline. Speedway happens because of the dedication of people like Rob; who (like us) still remember the halcyon days of the 70's-80's when a 5000 crowd on a Saturday night at the Shay was not uncommon. Back then your local speedway was likely to be situated close to the town centre. Just think for a minute about all the tracks that have been lost from towns up and down the land. Many were in fairly established stadiums; that although dated; were sited close to where the support lived. Contrast to now; where most speedway tracks have been forced out into the fields; Scunthorpe is just one example.

Look the EWR is a credit to Rob and the management team; but the amenities are fairly basic. For me as a speedway fan; I can get over that; for us its about the racing; the team; the riders. But for floating fans they just don't "get it" like we do; so the fact that there is precious little seating or covered accommodation might be a factor; and the racing as great as it is; may not be enough of a pull for some folks. Have a look at American baseball; it plays to packed houses and basically all it is; is rounder's. But its not just the baseball fans turn up for; its the eats; the drinks and social side. If you look at the crowd; you will see that some fans are not even watching the game. Yet it plays to thousands.

I recently went along to Kinsley Greyhound Track near Pontefract for nights racing. Years ago I had a look at Kinsley dog track for a potential speedway track and nearly got run out of town by the then owner!. But I was back a couple of weeks ago; and the attendance was higher than we get at the EWR definitely. I am no greyhounds fan; but the night was fairly enjoyable; we went in two coaches from the football club. We probably stuck extra 100 on the gate; that included many local residents. It was £10 in and with that we had a free bet; free drink and a meal (that was half decent to be fair).

Excuse me; as I am writing as I am thinking; but I know there is a darn sight more on offer from a nights speedway at Scunthorpe than a night at the Greyhounds; yet the locals at Kinsley seem to be buying what's on offer. They know they can go there; have a beer; bet and meal; its sociable more than anything; but comfortable whilst your there. As I say this is not a dig at the facilities at the EWR; but I am sure you see the point. Can we be offering more in the way of facilities a place to hang out at?.

I know that this is looking to a future that we may not have; but if we had one; then I would be having a word with Scunthorpe FC and seeing if any of the fixtures and fittings out of Glanford Park could be taken up to the EWR. Certainly replace the seating opposite the start gate; and could we nab a Stand or part of one ?. Plus anything else that might be recycled and can be used to enhance the facilities at the speedway. Just an idea; and sure that someone might already have thought of that.

Back to the speedway; the team this year was very much set up to entertain; and we think it has definitely delivered on that front. But it has not been a winning team and that's possibly why the locals have not bought into it. That said we have been right out of any sort of luck; Josh out; Ryan out; David Howe out of it from the word go?. Defeats home and away and bottom of the league all convey the opposite of what we want to say I suppose; yet the racing has been superb. Also moving on favourites like Birko and Tommy Gun; although that may be a lesser consideration.

I could go on and on; about the structure of the sport and how we might revive its fortunes. For me we are where we are; and letting it disappear is not an option; I think we all have to back those people like Rob and the team who put everything into making the show go on week in week out. I have written at length on this forum about speedways future; and I believe we have to be prepared to change and re-launch the product at its most sustainable level. Right now I see that as the Premier League; and preferably on a regionalised basis. Bring more variation into each tracks race programme. Look at what is going on around the speedway on race days; particularly hospitality and facilities. The presentation; the relationship of riders and spectators, and the branding of the league and the clubs to give clear identity.

Perhaps I have gone on long enough for now; but all we can do is keep backing the team and hoping that the local people in Scunthorpe and surrounding see enough value in Scunthorpe Speedway between now and 31 August 2015. Come on guy's if we can care enough to make it a 140 mile round trip to back the Scorpions surely you can roll out of bed and get your backsides trackside and SAVE THE SCORPIONS!.

I'll probably have 'the gang after me' for this question: 'how are stockcar attendances these days at Scunthorpe?' I just wondered if there could be more local problems away from speedway that are affecting crowds? How about gates for local senior football matches - are they stable?

it has to be because we arent winning at home, the results arent happenning, the floating fans are reading the updates or telegraphs website and saying "lost again",also its been aprill since we tracked a full 1 to 7 and by reading various posts on bsf and facebook people will not pay to see a guest who dosent score what he did for his team the previous visits or r/r, the ones who stay away dont not care or realise the damage they are causing to the club,

all our ideas in the scorps meetinfs would have helped more for next year, maybe not enough time to implement for this year, it was brought up iin the meetings about an "all in price" same as the greyhounds, as the outsider said, you turn up with say £18 and thats for entrance, programme, burger and a drink, it sounds better when you pitch it to some, ive had positive reaction from friends who like that idea, they ask how much is speedway? and i say,£15 to get in, then you need this then you need that and you can see them working the price out and saying thats a lot, so if you said just bring a twenty pound note you will be sorted.

i was positive that once we won our first meeting at home the crowd would come back,but now we have just short of 2 months left i think its too late for them to teturn,

Hi Speedibee, that's not actually true, because the two sports attract two enitely different sets of fans to the track, there's very little overlap at all. For whatever reason, speedway fans are not interested in stock cars, and stock car fans are not interested in speedway.

Although I've never been to a stock car meeting at the EWR, I believe the attendances for those meetings remain OK.

All the best

Rob

I used to go to stocks at Arena Essex in the mid to late 90's when there was no speedway at Rye House. The grass banks were packed for BH Monday meetings. Must've been in excess of three thousands people there.

I'll probably have 'the gang after me' for this question: 'how are stockcar attendances these days at Scunthorpe?' I just wondered if there could be more local problems away from speedway that are affecting crowds? How about gates for local senior football matches - are they stable?

gustix; sorry I cannot help you on the stock cars; but I am aware that Scunthorpe FC have an average crowd; I would guess of around 3000-3500; I think it was around the 4000 mark when I was there with Bradford City last season. We took around 500 to Glanford Park end of last season.

Another thought I had; and this I know is based on there being a future; but I wonder about the merits of a season ticket for the speedway?. I know this is massively off the scale; but at Bradford City we had approx. 7000 season ticket holders. We have just run the #149 campaign; offering season tickets at £149 the cheapest in the Football League result 18000 season ticket holders!.

Now I know this cannot be translated to Scunthorpe Speedway; but there might be something in offering a season ticket option where you get a benefit of 1-2 meetings free; and where possible the odd incentive; also say a family season ticket. Or how about a monthly ticket; where you could buy three meetings get one free; particularly where you want to encourage newbies to dip their toes in so to speak at the beginning of the season. I do think there may be some mileage in a multi-meeting ticket of some sort.

At Odsal we had the 150 Club; it was limited to 150 members; cost £150 and we got various incentives; like free programme; access to the riders before the meeting; a monthly get together with the clubs directors Bob & Allan Ham; stadium car parking above the pits area; invitation to the end of season dinner; we got to view from the infield; and allowed to film the racing and have photo's with the team. We also got into the press and practice day pre-season; all these little things help build the relationship between the club; the management; riders and fans.

One thing I will give Hammy he involved us and he was always after our views and opinions. Even went as far as we go out scouting riders! - come back from Long Eaton raving about Glen Doyle; next news?- Hammy's telling us he's signed him up!. That's what I call connecting with fans.

Sometimes its not always policy to create an elitist members club; but if it helps the club along then that's for the good.

Just admit it, the Sport is finished in it's present format, and no, the GTR engine won't save it.

Bit defeatist Skidda ?

Here's another

In 1987; we were going under at Bradford no mistake. We ended up at a meeting with Eric Boothroyd; Allan & Bob Ham, Terry Warren to drop just a few names. Eric laid it on the line; the fall out from the Carter tragedy was that the crowds had plummeted and speedway was no longer sustainable at Odsal. Pretty much as Rob has done they came to the supporters and asked if we could help.

That night the idea of the 150 Club emerged; and they literally passed the hat around. By the end of the evening we had become quasi directors of Bradford Speedway; handing over a cheque for three grand; alongside numerous other speedway nuts. I think by the time the meeting ended the club was saved and pledges were up to 25-30K!.

Again elitist members clubs are not always the best way to go; but lets say we had 25 of us with a grand apiece. Would that help.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 1

Sadly, unless fans start getting out to meetings more - all around the UK - then the sport is finished.

Riders costs/demands are also far too high.

I really hope that Scunthorpe keep going, would be a massive loss.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed for the Scorpions - I rate it as the best racing track in the land and I have been to them all. In addition, they try hard to cut down delays and I think Rob on the mic is one of the best in the game.

There are one or two tracks whose product and attitude leave a lot to be desired but Scunthorpe most definitely isn't one of them. They deserve better.

I think the on track performances have definitely had an impact (as they would do anywhere). The team has been disappointing.

I don't think for one minute Rob is bluffing here in an attempt to boost numbers because he said the same things at the end of last season.

Finally, what I have heard is that Scunny aren't alone here. Possibly as much as half of the PL is at risk.

it has to be because we arent winning at home,

End of last season we went it to the playoffs the form team---but crowds we below break even

although results havnt helped---in far from convinced this is the reason

year we won the league---winning regular---that season was a financially hard on the club

Finally, what I have heard is that Scunny aren't alone here. Possibly as much as half of the PL is at risk.

Half the PL and probably half the EL too. And lets not forget that in the last 12 months we've seen Birmingham and Eastbourne go from EL to NL.

Time for a wage cap? A publically set limit of how much is paid per point in each of the 3 (or potentially 2) divisions next season.

If riders cry its not enough then they have a choice. As it stands NL should just be a hobby that gives a little back. PL should be the equivalent of a low paid job but one you love and EL is just a practice league for Poland & Sweden anyway where the decent money is paid (sometimes paid in Poland).

The sport needs to get back to those who love doing it and are appreciative that they can earn something towards it rather than those who are trying to milk it for every penny.

Fingers crossed for Scunthorpe. Hope everything works out.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for the Scorpions - I rate it as the best racing track in the land and I have been to them all. In addition, they try hard to cut down delays and I think Rob on the mic is one of the best in the game.

There are one or two tracks whose product and attitude leave a lot to be desired but Scunthorpe most definitely isn't one of them. They deserve better.

I think the on track performances have definitely had an impact (as they would do anywhere). The team has been disappointing.

I don't think for one minute Rob is bluffing here in an attempt to boost numbers because he said the same things at the end of last season.

I don't doubt that last paragraph for a moment, I have been to all Premier League tracks this season (apart from Berwick and Workington) following the Tigers on the road and barring Glasgow and Sheffield, crowds are visibly less everywhere so other teams must be suffering as well.

Something that is an issue is that the gap between the EL and PL has got closer in the last 15 years while the gap between the PL and the CL/NL has grown. That has meant more expensive top end riders but also made it harder for lower order riders to break into the PL. This is surely in part due to doubling up meaning the only reasons riders leave the PL is when they retire, the top guys can stay there and continue with the EL. In the past they'd have had to have made a choice and a few of them would have stuck with the EL.

Time for a wage cap? A publically set limit of how much is paid per point in each of the 3 (or potentially 2) divisions next season.

If riders cry its not enough then they have a choice. As it stands NL should just be a hobby that gives a little back. PL should be the equivalent of a low paid job but one you love and EL is just a practice league for Poland & Sweden anyway where the decent money is paid (sometimes paid in Poland).

The sport needs to get back to those who love doing it and are appreciative that they can earn something towards it rather than those who are trying to milk it for every penny.

Fingers crossed for Scunthorpe. Hope everything works out.

Just been speaking too an ex promoter, he mentioned a wage cap, but remembered the last time in PL the club that was asking for the cap was the first club to break the rules. If there is to be a cap it must be fixed, and not include a top up via sponsorship, no reason why someone should not sponsor a rider directly, but not topping up point money. He also said the fun was no longer in speedway, and the fans are the older ones who getting older and dying off, with very few youngsters coming on board to replace them.

It is impossible for me to get to EWR on a friday night for tapes up without leaving work early given the ridiculous road works from J28-J31 M1 (Much of that work was sub standard and is having to be done again!)

This is the only reason I have not been to Scunny this year.

The wretches at the Highways Agency care nothing for the amount of people and businesses they cause hardship to with ill thought out and over extended work. I recently travelled the 16 miles of roadworks on M1 at 10 am and counted only 45 people working on that site including delivery drivers. I complained to McCloughlin in writing and received a page of platitudes.

It is plain to anyone with a brain that the contractor on that job was granted too much possession of that motorway.

I love the package at EWR, but 160 miles, admssion cost and virtually an afternoon off work is a bridge too far.

If those pesky roadworks were not there I could JUST manage to get there for tapes up without time off work.

That does not explain why a town with a population of 72000 will not support its own speedway team nor why Rob chooses to run on a night where traffic is always at its worst.

Also, whilst so called fans sit on their btm's and get their speedway fix in their front room, live attendances will obviously suffer.

• Like 2