British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Future Of Scunthorpe Scorpions

NEXT SEVEN HOME MEETINGS ARE CRUCIAL TO FUTURE OF SCORPIONS

SCUNTHORPE promoter Rob Godfrey has revealed that the meeting on Bank Holiday Monday, August 31st could be the final-ever Scunthorpe Scorpions’ fixture at the Eddie Wright Raceway, unless there is a telling increase in attendance levels at the North Lincolnshire venue for the rest of the 2015 season.

Godfrey first revealed the club’s plight to supporters in his final programme notes of 2014. He promised them one more season, but that support needed to increase during 2015.

In a statement, Godfrey says: “First of all, I’d like to thank our loyal supporters across the last ten years, the people who have turned up week-in, week-out.

“Scunthorpe Speedway, in its previous incarnation from 1971 to 1985, nearly always tracked a poor team. We’ve banished that reputation, not only winning the Conference/National League three times, but also the Premier League championship in 2012. The latter, in particular, is something that still fills me with tremendous pride. We showed that Scunthorpe Speedway could be a success.

“There’s so much we can look back on and be proud about. The current World Championship leader, Tai Woffinden, started his professional speedway career racing for the Scunthorpe Scorpions.

“Our supporters are fantastic, but the bottom line is that we simply don’t have enough of them. Last year, I informed our fans that we needed around 100 more people through the gate a week. This year, the situation has worsened, maybe because we haven’t been successful on track. The Bank Holiday crowds have been OK, but our Friday night attendances have been very poor. We no longer need another 100 fans a week, we now need another 200.

“Whether we’re finished as a club, I don’t know. It’s no secret that our crowds need to be better, like most clubs. I don’t want this to be our last season, but I have to say we’re fighting for survival now.

“I really don’t know what else we can do to try to get people along on a Friday evening at 7.30pm; we’ve tried everything.

“I firmly believe we have the best racetrack in the whole country. The fact we’ve been awarded Premier League Track Of The Year three times (2010, 2012 and 2014) suggests I’m not the only person who thinks that.

“Some other tracks sometimes come under fire for long, drawn-out meetings, so we make sure we avoid that. We start on time, and then get on with the meeting.

“I believe a speedway meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway is a good night’s entertainment, yet for whatever reason, we simply can’t get enough people to come along to watch our meetings. It appears to be a problem with speedway across the country, rather than a unique problem to Scunthorpe. I can’t speak for other tracks, but I can speak for mine, and we simply don’t have enough people on the terraces to sustain the current level of Premier League Speedway.”

The FluidAir Power Scunthorpe Scorpions, supported by Henderson Insurance, currently sit bottom of the 2015 Premier League, and Godfrey admits the on-track struggle has probably not helped with attendances.

He adds: “Basically, we’ve had ten reasonably successful years on the track up to now, but this year we’re just having a terrible year. It happens, you have good years and bad years. In the 10 years we’ve been running, this is the first really bad season we’ve had and it’s not through choice.

“What can I do to change it? All I can do is hope the riders get it together and start banging in some scores. I don’t think our team is as bad as our current league position shows. Once Josh (Auty) and Ryan (Douglas) are back and fully fit and healthy, I think we have a decent team, and visiting teams will struggle to take any points away from the Eddie Wright Raceway.

“But it’s been one thing after another this year. There has been times this season when I’ve hated speedway and can’t wait to get out of it, and I’ve had many a sleepless night. But there are also times when I realise how much I would miss this sport.

“We have seven home meetings left, starting with Peterborough on Friday (7.30pm). And as long as the weather doesn’t intervene, we’ll close for this season with the Bank Holiday Monday fixture on August 31st, against Sheffield Tigers, followed by the Midland Development League Riders’ Championship. People have those seven meetings left to show that there is sufficient interest out there to sustain the Scorpions into 2016 and beyond.

“No decision has been made yet, but I need to know that people still want speedway in Scunthorpe and that we’re going to get the level of support we need to make it viable to continue.

“In my heart, I still believe that Scunthorpe Speedway is worth saving. I hope there are enough other people who do as well”, Godfrey concludes.

SCUNTHORPE’S REMAINING HOME MEETINGS IN 2015:

Friday, July 10th – Scorpions vs Peterborough Panthers (7.30pm)

Friday, July 17th – Scorpions vs Ipswich Witches (7.30pm)

Friday, July 24th – Scorpions vs Plymouth Devils (7.30pm)

Friday, August 7th – Scorpions vs Newcastle Diamonds (7.30pm)

Friday, August 14th – Scorpions vs Redcar Bears (7.30pm)

Friday, August 21st – Scorpions vs Berwick Bandits (7.30pm)

Bank Holiday Monday, August 31st – Scorpions vs Sheffield Tigers followed by Midland Development League Riders’ Championship (3pm)

PLEASE COME ALONG TO THE EDDIE WRIGHT RACEWAY TO HELP SAVE THE SCUNTHORPE SCORPIONS

• Like 1

Given the standard off racing it will be a travesty if Scunthorpe don't survive.Shows the state the sport is in.They are not the only club in that boat.

• Like 4

good luck to rob and the scoprions in the remaining fixtures and I hope crowds improve at what is THE best racing track in the country, you deserve it, from a Sheffield fan.

• Like 5

Very sad to see this. I have been to Scunthorpe a few times and it is a cracking venue for Speedway.

I do not think that lack of interest will be the main problem. Why do I say that? I honestly believe that Government 'Cuts' in their Austerity drive has and will have a dreadful effect on ordinary people's income. I think the truth for all Speedway Tracks is that more and more people are struggling to put food on the table. Speedway has to come a long way behind that and other necessities of life in their priorities.

If people are deserting a great Track like Scunthorpe I reckon there is something wrong.

I just think a lot of people nowadays will not be able to afford their Speedway. Sadly, in these days of austerity, that is a fact of life. Other Sports will feel the effect too.

• Like 1

Jeez, that statements from the heart. I was working down that way a couple of years ago and stopped by the track to have a look, as I'd never been there before. Rob was pottering about and came over to see what I was doing. When I told him where I was from, he showed me around and made me a cup of tea and we had a good chat about Speedway.

It's really sad to see him in such a position. When Scunthorpe won the league I was really pleased for him, but as we've seen elsewhere, winning the league can add to the financial pressure.

After all he's put into the sport, he doesn't deserve this.

• Like 1

tbh there hasnt been that many big job losses in scunthorpe in recent years , maybe like mentioned above, government cuts? i think that as of now the crowd there are now are the "die hard" ones who will go no matter what, the 200 that have disappeared are the ones who think results matter and wont pay to watch a team sat at the foot of the table, some of those maybe decided because thomas and ash were not there then im not going, especially with ryan not starting the season again.i saw people i know turn up because ryan was back in then not been since he got injured, also with josh out too they dont seem to have a "favourite" to cheer on, ( a la, ash, tj, tofty, howe) i said before we ahve to go 1 more year for nike to develop like ryan, then the fans cant behind him, a big hitting number 1, like mr barker who should be guarenteed to score 10 or 15 everywhere he goes,start the season in good form then the crowds will stay through the season, instead of dwindling off like now, that would pay his wages,go for it big time ,if it works, great, if it dosent work then scunny dosent want speedway

Edited by neck brace tony

I don't blame the cuts, too many tracks have had unsustainable crowds for longer than that. Sadly, the mystery to me is how so many have managed to stay open.

• Like 3

Sad news indeed if Scunthorpe do quit the sport. The fear might be IMO that their departure could herald a decline similar to that which hit the sport in 1953. The then loss in eraly-season of New Cross sparked a crash that nearly saw the end of the sport - offhand I think that three seasons later there were only six major tracks operating - but I stand to be corrected on that fact.

Edited by Guest

I don't blame the cuts, too many tracks have had unsustainable crowds for longer than that. Sadly, the mystery to me is how so many have managed to stay open.

Speedway is an expensive sport to run. I've heard of some PL reserves on £50-£60 a point. If that's the reserves what are the heat leaders on?

The admission costs can't cover the outgoings, so something's gotta give.

I compare my visit to Berwick Rangers over Xmas and new year. About 500 people paying £12 a head. The Bandits charge £15 and attract similar crowds. Not having a pop, just comparing.

How much to service a motor, £500-600 every couple of months? That's ridiculous. If your engine blows god help you.

Something's gotta change

• Like 4

Scunthorpe is a great track and has done so much for British Speedway in giving young riders opportunities especially in its early days. I really hope they can find a way through.

As Eastbourne and Birmingham have found maybe the NL is more sustainable with the advantage of home grown riders (who actually turn up every meeting) as opposed to ailing leagues reliant on expensive journeymen!

• Like 3

As has been pointed out above several times, speedway is a very expensive sport to participate in, it's like twenty or so years ago, when most of the riders were homegrown and had relatively little equipment. Nowadays riders are flying all over Europe and have spare bikes and often full-time mechanics. It's an arms race to keep equipment at the highest standard.

There are two options, reduce costs by reducing the standards, going with riders with poorer equipment and less running costs, or continuing with expensive equipment and somehow finding large amounts of sponsorship income to fund it (e.g. Formula One).

Both choices have pros and cons. It's up to each individual promotion to decide what is right for them.

Speedway is an expensive sport to run. I've heard of some PL reserves on £50-£60 a point. If that's the reserves what are the heat leaders on?

The admission costs can't cover the outgoings, so something's gotta give.

I compare my visit to Berwick Rangers over Xmas and new year. About 500 people paying £12 a head. The Bandits charge £15 and attract similar crowds. Not having a pop, just comparing.

How much to service a motor, £500-600 every couple of months? That's ridiculous. If your engine blows god help you.

Something's gotta change

In your dreams Shads £500/£600 if you dont need any parts, in general £1200 to £1500 for a rebuild.

Really sad about Scunny though.

Edited by To The Point

Some of Scunthorpes problems with dwindling crowds started around the time the stock car racing started. Instead of the cars becoming a completely seperate income stream they actually split the crowd . while speedway was the only sport on the menu the following was very good .

In your dreams Shads £500/£600 if you dont need any parts, in general £1200 to £1500 for a rebuild.

Really sad about Scunny though.

This Gerhard engine could be a saviour with supposed 20 hours service intervals . but tuners must be kept out otherwise it will be a wasted exercise . time for promoters to take some radical steps and start doing whats best for British speedway , never mind about Poland Sweden Denmark and the GPs ,

• Like 1

Some of Scunthorpes problems with dwindling crowds started around the time the stock car racing started. Instead of the cars becoming a completely seperate income stream they actually split the crowd . while speedway was the only sport on the menu the following was very good .

Hi Speedibee, that's not actually true, because the two sports attract two enitely different sets of fans to the track, there's very little overlap at all. For whatever reason, speedway fans are not interested in stock cars, and stock car fans are not interested in speedway.

Although I've never been to a stock car meeting at the EWR, I believe the attendances for those meetings remain OK.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1