British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

The Darcy Ward Show! Swindon V Poole - Mon 13th July 7.30 Elite League (sky Meeting)

I think this will be a close one, just a shame Swindon can't field a full team with Nick Morris out but Hans is coming back to form so may not be a big loss to them. All our riders like riding at the Abbey so should provide a good entertaining meeting.

I think you will find that it went up.

His av is 8.7

He scored 9 points from his prog rides, as his score of 6 is counted as 3. Therefore he scored 3,3,3,e/f for av calcs.

Surely you don't think av are work out like that do you ?

• Like 1

Bafflingly I think he did, and is not alone in his belief. It's amazing how many people don't seem to understand how averages are calculated, or have strange ideas about r/r rides or heat 15 not being included.

I agree with EIAddio to a point. Even in the late sixties and seventies, when speedway was reportedly pulling in more than 300,000 people a week, the newspaper coverage didn't reflect it's popularity. However, the coverage was much greater than it is now. In those days national newspapers used to sponsor the world championship final and many of the big individual meetings. I can recall buying a number of popular national papers on the Sunday after the world final in 1962 and many had full page reports and in at least one paper it was the full back page spread.

It depends how you define the modern era but certainly Belle Vue have had little recent success. In the last 25 years, one league title, one play off final and a KO Cup win. However, it is sad that some are ignorant of the importance of history. Just one example of many of the significance of history; I very much doubt we would be building the new stadium now if it wasn't for the place Belle Vue holds in the history of Manchester and the sport, they were major factors in persuading the Council to support the project.

No club has a right to success but the Aces will now have the opportunity to replicate their previous triumphs with the programmes already planned to help British talent and the increased income from the new stadium.

Edited by Aces51

redcar know all about the r/r rides and dunberset dont. inc the ref.

no he wasn't drunk just over the limit to ride a speedway bike so that's ok.

sorry office I was only slightly over the limit when I killed a person driving my car so im sure you can accept its ok as I wasn't drunk

Have to say I have never done drugs. the odd spliff I guess is ok here and there but to be out of it on drugs on a motorcycle fleeing from cops is a bit different

I have to feel sorry for the people you hang around with if they have done worse than Ward. I also must of led a sheltered life because I haven't yet been accused of sexual assault. Your friends who have done worse than Ward I assume means they are in jail right now.

Your one of these people who gloss over his errors like he has just made a few little mistakes.

I do agree with your last sentence that its good to see Darcy riding a bike in uk speedway

100%

Never heard of alcoholic coke, i suppose we are going to have to put up with this sort of inane comment every time his name is mentioned as some who clearly dont like him dont want to give him a chance of proving he has matured but just want to slate him at every opportunity.

I am looking forward to seeing him ride tonight and hope he has a good meeting, although not too good!

It's not up to us to shake of Darcys reputation. It's up to Darcy. Over the years there have been many riders who have managed to change people perceptions of them. Scott Nicholls as a youngster was a hot headed ass. Crumpy made Scott Nicholls look calm but both matured into sensible, decent, yet still exciting speedway riders who the speedway World grew to love and respect. Even Tai, not exactly everyones favourite rider/personality but he changed his approach and attitude and a lot of people took to him.

Darcy is still what, 23? That gives him another 20 years potentially to make us change our mind about him. I think owing to the fact he's so great on a bike he'd not have to do a lot off a bike to be liked. But at the moment between him being such a plonker and then the Sky pair banging on about how great he is all the time - it does him more harm than good.

Surely you don't think av are work out like that do you ?

TBF to the guy he made a mistake. He had the decency to admit he may be wrong and when corrected accepted it in good grace. We all make mistakes, a lot refuse to learn form them or admit they made them,

It's not up to us to shake of Darcys reputation. It's up to Darcy. Over the years there have been many riders who have managed to change people perceptions of them. Scott Nicholls as a youngster was a hot headed ass. Crumpy made Scott Nicholls look calm but both matured into sensible, decent, yet still exciting speedway riders who the speedway World grew to love and respect. Even Tai, not exactly everyones favourite rider/personality but he changed his approach and attitude and a lot of people took to him.

Darcy is still what, 23? That gives him another 20 years potentially to make us change our mind about him. I think owing to the fact he's so great on a bike he'd not have to do a lot off a bike to be liked. But at the moment between him being such a plonker and then the Sky pair banging on about how great he is all the time - it does him more harm than good.

TBF to the guy he made a mistake. He had the decency to admit he may be wrong and when corrected accepted it in good grace. We all make mistakes, a lot refuse to learn form them or admit they made them,

How "at the moment" is DW being a plonker? 10 months ago yes, but what evidence do you have for "at the moment"? He's served his time, is back doing what he does best and started to score points for fun again. Hope he gets to double figures this evening - 9+1 would do!! :D

• Like 1

I'm hoping for a Poole win for the simple reason is that Rossiter will go into meltdown, selfish and possibly childish but hey ho.

Just flown in from Australia this morning and what better match to go and watch than this little cracker. Hope the weather holds off for this mouthwatering tie. I'd imagine it will be a packed venue tonight. Can someone please tell me what time gates open for this meeting?

• Like 1

I might be proved wrong but I believe swindon should and will be too strong for the pesky pirates tonight I truly hope swindon are leading 43 41 going to the last heat with troy and darcy needing a 3 3

Personally i think many will view Darcy as a plonker however he conducts his life because he does come across a bit arrogant and he will always have the potential to say the wrong thing on camera!

Edited by foreverblue

How "at the moment" is DW being a plonker? 10 months ago yes, but what evidence do you have for "at the moment"? He's served his time, is back doing what he does best and started to score points for fun again. Hope he gets to double figures this evening - 9+1 would do!! :D

Mouthing off about the FIM, promising press releases telling us about the bad stuff the FIM have done. Playing the victim....

Personally i think many will view Darcy as a plonker however he conducts his life because he does come across a bit arrogant and he will always have the potential to say the wrong thing on camera!

They possibly will, and you'll never convince all people. Arrogance IMO is fine, as long as it's arrogance about his speedway abilities - because I would expect pretty much anyone with his talents to be a bit big headed about it. From a purely selfish POV I hope he does keep his head down and no mess up again, he's a great rider to watch.

His recent interviews are quite interesting for me. He seems very open and just talks from the heart regardless of who he is talking to.

Take Matej Zagar, for example, or Seb Ulamek. Both were brilliant at saying the right thing to the Swindon fans and sounding like they truly love the club. Darcy just says what's on his mind and half the time he's talking about Poole to Swindon journalists!

It's actually quite sweet. I don't see it as arrogance.

• Like 1

Likely to be a packed house. Swindon again showing they have the finest promotion and fans in the country.

• Like 2