British Speedway Forum

just seen seen accident on bbc tyne tees tv on sports news .it will be on channel 955 if you got sky at 6.30

just seen seen accident on bbc tyne tees tv on sports news .it will be on channel 955 if you got sky at 6.30

I saw this awful incident with my own eyes. I certainly have no intention or desire to see it again.

• Like 2

I really have no wish to see the accident again , I was at the meeting yesterday and still feel numb from what happened . Yes report about it by all means on the news but please local TV company or who ever it may be there is no need to show it .

My thoughts , wishes and prayers are with Lewis Kerr and his family

• Like 2

I really have no wish to see the accident again , I was at the meeting yesterday and still feel numb from what happened . Yes report about it by all means on the news but please local TV company or who ever it may be there is no need to show it .

My thoughts , wishes and prayers are with Lewis Kerr and his family

Thankfully the cameraman holds focus on Josh going down and Craig laying his bike to avoid further injury to Josh. The carnage is missed in the segment shown, just as well.

Yes report about it by all means on the news but please local TV company or who ever it may be there is no need to show it .

Highly unlikely that any local-TV would show the impact with the airfence even if it was available.

However, what turns out to be the case here is that ReRun's camera has captured Josh challenging Lewis but once there's been contact, that camera's stayed on Josh falling onto the track plus Craig Cook's commendably swift laydown that's at the perfect angle for that camera shot behind Josh's tumble ... meanwhile, all you see of Lewis and his machinery after the contact is the pair of them rapidly veering off the left-edge of the screen well before the horrible impact.

Hence, I can understand the footage being shown to illustrate how the situation developed while still maintaining the dignity of not showing the most horrific aspect.

Had the camera stayed on Lewis rather than Josh, I'd hope any TV-newsroom would halt the footage once it's clear where Lewis is heading after the contact but still well before the impact.

• Like 2

Well I'm afraid I won't be watching the accident.

Every crash I have seen makes me feel physically sick until I know that the Rider is OK.

I know it is News, but to be honest, I don't think they should show something like this in News Items.

• Like 3

Keep turning left Lewis and come back to your family and us soon. :cry:

• Like 1

Major things need to change in speedway,there has been far too many bad injuries over the last few years,the sport needs to go back to basics.

I really hope lewis makes a full recovery.

Absolutely - could not agree more.

I know our sport is called Speedway, but the pursuit of ultimate speed is not the be all and end all. First and foremost is rider safety, then entertainment value for us paying punters.

How about a return to the 1970s situation, when engine tuning was minimal by comparison to today, engines ( upright ! ) could do many meetings before needing overhaul, tracks had more dirt, rear tyres had more tread depth, handlebars were wider ? Race times would be maybe 5 seconds slower, but riders would have much more control, especially in 'awkward' moments. Back then, you rarely saw a bike suddenly leap away from its rider, with a mind of its own, like they do so often now.

Today, you are either in control, or not, there is no in between. Forty years ago, if a bike began to go out of control, the rider invariably had a brief period where he could try to regain that control. If he did not, he usually had managed to scrub off speed, so that the fall, and the impact, was much reduced, and he would be able to dust himself down and walk away much more often than now.

A further benefit would be a significant reduction in costs to riders. It may help more to take up the sport, and to stay in it despite a few setbacks. Imho the racing would be more entertaining as well, with the emphasis back on how good the rider's ability is, not how big his wallet is.

You may well say that all the above is wishful thinking, or indeed just rubbish ! Whatever your thoughts, it is time for the BSPA to say enough is enough, and do something to significantly reduce the terrible number of serious injuries riders are enduring.

My thoughts, as are everyone's , are with Lewis and his family. I don't pray usually, but have made an exception on this occasion. Please let there be a really positive outcome.

• Like 9

I know our sport is called Speedway, but the pursuit of ultimate speed is not the be all and end all. First and foremost is rider safety, then entertainment value for us paying punters.

How about a return to the 1970s situation, when engine tuning was minimal by comparison to today, engines ( upright ! ) could do many meetings before needing overhaul, tracks had more dirt, rear tyres had more tread depth, handlebars were wider ? Race times would be maybe 5 seconds slower, but riders would have much more control, especially in 'awkward' moments. Back then, you rarely saw a bike suddenly leap away from its rider, with a mind of its own, like they do so often now.

Today, you are either in control, or not, there is no in between. Forty years ago, if a bike began to go out of control, the rider invariably had a brief period where he could try to regain that control. If he did not, he usually had managed to scrub off speed, so that the fall, and the impact, was much reduced, and he would be able to dust himself down and walk away much more often than now.

A further benefit would be a significant reduction in costs to riders. It may help more to take up the sport, and to stay in it despite a few setbacks. Imho the racing would be more entertaining as well, with the emphasis back on how good the rider's ability is, not how big his wallet is.

You may well say that all the above is wishful thinking, or indeed just rubbish ! Whatever your thoughts, it is time for the BSPA to say enough is enough, and do something to significantly reduce the terrible number of serious injuries riders are enduring.

My thoughts, as are everyone's , are with Lewis and his family. I don't pray usually, but have made an exception on this occasion. Please let there be a really positive outcome.

We were having this conversation at Sheffield the other night after Ben Wilson bust his pelvis. The track record used to be 73 secs (I think)

That is now achieved by a youth rider on a 250.

Get Well soon Lewis !

Edited by TMW

Quite positive if the reports are true that they planned to wake him already, the scans were ok and no mention of surgery....fingers crossed for a full recovery and best wishes to all his friends and family.

Edited by Arson fire
  • Like 3

Good post Squibby. I've often thought along these lines too. Is it also the case that less powerful engines means less deep ruts at the start line and therefore less gardening to delay the start of the race? Plus closer racing if machine power has diminished importance?

I would be interested to know the negative consequences of what you propose.

I couldn't agree with you more Squibby.

Just seen the bit on "look east"

Reporter at Addenbrookes

"have been a few positive signs with Lewis' reactions"

"no doubt British speedway will be doing their own investigation to see how this accident could have happened in the first place"

British speedway won't be looking into anything will they? What can they say. Josh you are not allowed to go into the corner that quick?

Just seen the bit on "look east"

Reporter at Addenbrookes

"have been a few positive signs with Lewis' reactions"

"no doubt British speedway will be doing their own investigation to see how this accident could have happened in the first place"

A classic example of a reporter with no actual knowledge of their subject!

Why does it take something like this happening to make our sport seem news worthy. Its not just lawyers who chase ambulances.

Edited by HadrianDog
  • Like 6