British Speedway Forum

Richie Worrall (the Future Of Speedway)

Reading the Richie Worrall interview in this weeks Speedway Star he has revealed he is on the verge of packing in Speedway saying he needs more time on track and needs to double up and it was strange that he did not get the place at Belle Vue (his parent club) that Josh Grajczonek got.

So what does the future hold, some riders cannot make it pay without doubling up but Speedway cannot pay the riders wages with crowd levels diminishing.

Some of the foreign riders in the PL are riding in the Danish, Polish or Swedish Leagues so have multiple incomes, but there are not that many British riders riding on the continent, this includes EL riders.

Harris, Nicholls and Lambert are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head, not forgetting Woffinden who does not ride in the British Leagues.

Worralls final comment in the Star "Speedway still is a massive passion but i have to sit down at some point and ask how long do i keep going at this with no reward"

I do feel for Worrall but the reason why Belle Vue signed Josh over him is simple, because he's a better rider and more likely to score points.

that's a fair comment,,,

there must be loads of riders struggling to make it pay,,, maybe standard equipment for riders that aren't at the very top, or have rich parents/friends is the way forward ???

• Like 2

Whine whine whine. Another young Brit thinking he should have everything handed to him on a plate. Fine, quit, get a job working for Tescos, but warning Richie, Tescos won't just give you the area managers job in a couple of years time because you fancy it, you have to work for it and prove you deserve it.

Life is a bitch. You have to work damn had to get anyway.

That said, it does seem odd to me we'll have a draft that'll give the Starkes, Lamberts and co of the speedway World more help but not the Woralls (and last year the Autys and Birks') of the speedway world who stand a greater chance of being something in the sport.

Edited by SCB

when i started watching Teesside in 1968 i don't believe any of the riders were full time - when did this happen?

crowds of 500 can not fund full time wages

I remember riders couldn't make meetings too far away as they had too much work to do on the farm..........

I am sure that RW is way, way too correct. We are going to have a lot of NL & PL British riders out of work in 2016!!!!!

Leagues are running on a very silly low team building average to make UK speedway work!

I said this in 2014 when the silly low numbers were used and will say it again at the end of the 2015 season.

Edited by berniev123
  • Like 1

Whine whine whine. Another young Brit thinking he should have everything handed to him on a plate. Fine, quit, get a job working for Tescos, but warning Richie, Tescos won't just give you the area managers job in a couple of years time because you fancy it, you have to work for it and prove you deserve it.

Life is a bitch. You have to work damn had to get anyway.

That said, it does seem odd to me we'll have a draft that'll give the Starkes, Lamberts and co of the speedway World more help but not the Woralls (and last year the Autys and Birks') of the speedway world who stand a greater chance of being something in the sport.

I say well done Richie at least he's got the goolies to say something and put his name to it. Not hide behind a computer screen with a false name.
  • Like 2

Maybe he could change his nationality and become an Auzzie. Deffo get a ride then and loads of help too

Can u name an Aussie with an el place who worrall is better than? I can't.

Tbf worrall is the only Brit I can think of who is el standard but doesn't have a team place. And he is both younger and better than many riders on the draft list.

But would agree with others that he needs to get a job outside speedway, though acknowledge also some difficulties due to the erratic work nights of a speedway rider.

I remember riders couldn't make meetings too far away as they had too much work to do on the farm..........

well i can certainly remember riders being given time off to sit mechanics exams, etc

and Geoff Pusey tearing over the M62 on a motorbike to make a 730start at Cleveland Park because he had to work

riders used annual leave or had understanding bosses

• Like 1

when i started watching Teesside in 1968 i don't believe any of the riders were full time - when did this happen?

crowds of 500 can not fund full time wages

It maybe could if you charge the crowd around £30.00......

The problem is the vast majority of those who no longer go only feel the sport is worth about a tenner...

My team 'allegedly' pay their Number One 3k a meeting. 'If true' (and around £200 a point does appear to be the going rate for a No1 if you read comments from those 'in the know') then that means that to pay him for a home and an away meeting they need to take £7200 (inc vat) to pay him the 6k.....

That is over 411 full paying adults at £17.50 per meeting just to pay his salary...

Utterly ridiculous when you consider that the No1 rider from any team wouldn't lose 411 off the gate if he didn't ride, nor add 411 extra to it when he does...

As no one seems to know exactly the attendances at tracks due to the 'omerta' of the promoters I can only guess at the attendance at my track, however I would suggest 411 paying punters is (at least) over 50% of the total who attend..

Doesn't leave much left over to pay the other six riders for two meetings a week does it??

Barmy...... :o

• Like 4