British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Richie Worrall (the Future Of Speedway)

True. I have a copy of Classic Speedway which has an interview with Norman Hunter who retired in the 1970' s and he says he retired because he opened up a motor-cycle shop and the intention was that his speedway should subsidise this the motor-cycle business but it ended up being the other way round.

However the world has changed a lot since the days of Mick Bell and Norman Hunter. In the past running a small business was alright as a side line but there are so many regulations, now and it so difficult to compete as say a private garage owner against the corporate bodies that it really needs full time attention.

Having said that, some riders don't have much idea of finances. I often have a wry smile when I see riders turning up in big vans with a mechanic doing then driving, then Richard Lawson arrives with everything crammed into his little VW Carry, with bikes he has basically prepared himself and then goes out and gets a bigger score.

It is difficult though. Richjie Worrall talks about £20, 000 investment in bikes before you even start on vans etc, and that is an expense that riders didn't have in the past. Terry Betts for example used to have one bike and all he basically did , according to him, was change the valve springs when needed, The one engine would last a season then he would buy another one the following year..

As I say, almost all NL riders self fund and so have to have outside occupations even during the season.

I think your point about Richard Lawson hits the nub of the issue. Riders all want to have the pit crew and equipment of Nicki Pedersen and spend large amounts of money to get it in the full knowledge that their pay won't cover the expense. They then complain about being unable to make ends meet.

I remember Dean Felton a few years ago saying that he made money out of NL speedway and had beaten all the top riders in that league that season. He, too, did his own engines.

If Lawson is able to ride at a good heat leader standard in the PL and double up in the EL by doing his own engines, driving himself about and cutting expenses there's a lesson there for the Richie Worrall's of the speedway world.

• Like 3

As I say, almost all NL riders self fund and so have to have outside occupations even during the season.

I think your point about Richard Lawson hits the nub of the issue. Riders all want to have the pit crew and equipment of Nicki Pedersen and spend large amounts of money to get it in the full knowledge that their pay won't cover the expense. They then complain about being unable to make ends meet.

I remember Dean Felton a few years ago saying that he made money out of NL speedway and had beaten all the top riders in that league that season. He, too, did his own engines.

If Lawson is able to ride at a good heat leader standard in the PL and double up in the EL by doing his own engines, driving himself about and cutting expenses there's a lesson there for the Richie Worrall's of the speedway world.

If dean Felton made money out of NL speedway did he have a BIG BORE ENGINE WITH A KENNETT EXHAUST why did he pack it in? PS DO YOU SMOKE THEM FUNNY CIGS

Just to clarify , I am not saying Lawson does his own engines, because I don't know. I would be very surprised if he does, but he does a lot of his own preparation single handed, and drives himself down in a little van . It must save a lot of money compered to some.

I am not suggesting Richie Worral is extravagant because I don't know, merely an observation that in general terms some riders seem to carry a lot of unnecessary overheads. If you look at Josh Auty's van for example it's a huge great thing with "Josh Auty Speedwáy and Grass Track Rider " specially painted all over it one wonders why all that is necessary , considering the 99 .99% of te public have never heard of him .

Edited by E I Addio

Just to clarify , I am not saying Lawson does his own engines, because I don't know. I would be very surprised if he does, but he does a lot of his own preparation single handed, and drives himself down in a little van . It must save a lot of money compered to some.

I am not suggesting Richie Worral is extravagant because I don't know, merely an observation that in general terms some riders seem to carry a lot of unnecessary overheads. If you look at Josh Auty's van for example it's a huge great thing with "Josh Auty Speedwáy and Grass Track Rider " specially painted all over it one wonders why all that is necessary , considering the 99 .99% of te public have never heard of him .

If you look at josh auty bike that's a huge great thing as well

The draft system is a mess quite honestly.

How on earth are the likes of Wilkinson, boxall, roynon etc in it?

Wilkos one of my favorite riders to watch, unique style and never knows when hes beaten but he made his PL debut in about 2001! Not his fault just the idiots in charge of this system.

May as well make any PL british rider available tp ride in it, may as well give the likes of Lanham a draft place!

James wright is another disgraceful selection, spent a good time as a pl number 1 includiny a PLRC title. Who on earth makes these rules up?

The sports a complete mess in this country from top to bottom .

to make the numbers up not sure why Ben Wilson not in it?

99.98% of the public have probably never even heard of speedway or grass track,,, so maybe Josh is just trying to put the word out ;)

• Like 1

It seems to me that what you are saying is that you don't need Nicki Pedersen's set up to be competitive and I think you are dead right.

Reading the Richie Worrall interview in this weeks Speedway Star he has revealed he is on the verge of packing in Speedway saying he needs more time on track and needs to double up and it was strange that he did not get the place at Belle Vue (his parent club) that Josh Grajczonek got.

Came over as a bit of a whinge, and frankly seems to be a bit a recurring theme (see Argentina). Maybe just saying stuff out of frustration, but the sport can't pay money it doesn't have, so not really sure what he's suggesting should be the solution.

ps when was that time when riders dident want paying?

I never said they didn't want paying . but back in the days when speedway was great their priorities were different , most riders in the 60's and 70's had jobs or another source of income , they rode because they wanted to and fitted it in with working ,

• Like 1

The draft system is a mess quite honestly.

How on earth are the likes of Wilkinson, boxall, roynon etc in it?

Wilkos one of my favorite riders to watch, unique style and never knows when hes beaten but he made his PL debut in about 2001! Not his fault just the idiots in charge of this system.

May as well make any PL british rider available tp ride in it, may as well give the likes of Lanham a draft place!

James wright is another disgraceful selection, spent a good time as a pl number 1 includiny a PLRC title. Who on earth makes these rules up?

The sports a complete mess in this country from top to bottom .

You need riders to replace missing top draft riders. Better that it's older Brits rather than foreigners.

The riders you list can only guest.

I never said they didn't want paying . but back in the days when speedway was great their priorities were different , most riders in the 60's and 70's had jobs or another source of income , they rode because they wanted to and fitted it in with working ,

I remember back in 65 Olle Nygren and Trevor hedge turned up at Newport ( somerton Park in a Morris 1000 van, Trevors equipment was deemed excessive as he had a spare engine, these were both international riders in the british league, I know cos I helped them unload the bikes.

If you can buy a 2015 motocross bike for £5000 it will most probably be a stolen one. Why is a gm engine £5500 is it because speedway riders want to much money?

A GM engine doesn't have to cost £5500! You can buy a new one for half that amount.

• Like 1

Came over as a bit of a whinge, and frankly seems to be a bit a recurring theme (see Argentina). Maybe just saying stuff out of frustration, but the sport can't pay money it doesn't have, so not really sure what he's suggesting should be the solution.

I believe he got £5000 for that whinge

Having read Worralls report in the Speedway Star.

To me it dosent seem he's having a whinge. To me it seems he's just pointing a few facts out and how in his opinion things could be better for himself and other British lads. No harm in that is there?

Plus someone reported on here he has a Moto x bike

and a jet ski. How do we know they are his they could be his brothers or they bought them between them but that's nothing to do with us. What I do know is the van he uses to get him to and from his racing is only on loan to him via a sponsor. And if you look at his Facebook he did have a car but has just sold it and ploughed the money from it into his equipment. Don't knock the lad he's trying and he's thinking of his fellow racers too.

My dad played rugby and had a job to but that doesn't happen now it's called being professional the fittest the strongest and more experienced will always win. A lot of the old speedway riders I know are very well off and tell me of all the good nights with the lady's that speedway brought them one in each town.ay by gum them were the days

#Bigballsbadmemory #jackanory

NOW-Now hot arse can't you find your old post so think no one else can?