British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

The silence in terms of no replies suggests that all is lost at Oxford.

No, it's not, it's just nothing has happened that can be publicised.

I believe there is quite a lot happening behind the scenes.

Winning the court case WAS a major step, but was by no means the final one. There was always likely to be a frustrating wait following that.

I think the last thing that SOS Chairman Ian Swayer advised was to keep writing letters to Oxford City Council, backing the return to speedway and greyhounds to the stadium, because those letters do make a genuine difference.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

The silence in terms of no replies suggests that all is lost at Oxford.

Easy to jump to that conclusion but it's probably nearer the truth to note that nothing much can happen while Galliard Homes so stubbornly refuse to consider selling the Oxford site (and Wimbledon as well) for others to develop or restore ... it appears their prime tactic at the moment is to simply drag out the respective situations at both those stadiums for as long as possible.

Perhaps that's so that they can showcase what they could do with either site once they've got stuck into the current West Ham United ground at Upton Park in about a year's time because football's Hammers move into the Olympic Stadium next summer, leaving Galliard to build over 800 residences at Upton Park which will be nearly as many as they've proposed for the Oxford and Wimbledon sites put together.

Edited by arthur cross

Easy to jump to that conclusion but it's probably nearer the truth to note that nothing much can happen while Galliard Homes so stubbornly refuse to consider selling the Oxford site (and Wimbledon as well) for others to develop or restore ... it appears their prime tactic at the moment is to simply drag out the respective situations at both those stadiums for as long as possible.

Perhaps that's so that they can showcase what they could do with either site once they've got stuck into the current West Ham United ground at Upton Park in about a year's time because football's Hammers move into the Olympic Stadium next summer, leaving Galliard to build over 800 residences at Upton Park which will be nearly as many as they've proposed for the Oxford and Wimbledon sites put together.

I think it is disgusting that they are allowed to do that.

The old thread seems to have disappeared, is there any news or movement on Oxford?

Just as a matter of interest, last Saturday Poole's Matt Ford was on BBC Radio Solent's Sports show for over an hour.

During the discussion he mentioned that there was a promoter 'actively pursuing' the Oxford licence, with a view to reintroducing speedway sooner rather than later!! :t:

No, it's not, it's just nothing has happened that can be publicised.

I believe there is quite a lot happening behind the scenes.

Winning the court case WAS a major step, but was by no means the final one. There was always likely to be a frustrating wait following that.

I think the last thing that SOS Chairman Ian Swayer advised was to keep writing letters to Oxford City Council, backing the return to speedway and greyhounds to the stadium, because those letters do make a genuine difference.

All the best

Rob

Thanks for that Rob, I wish you and Oxford speedway every success.On for the days of Reading, Oxford and Swindon!

• Like 1

On for the days of Reading, Oxford and Swindon!

My friend from Basingstoke isn't on here but I'm sure he wishes the same as you. He would turn up at Coventry with matching hat and scarf whichever team it was, but now it's just the red/white of Swindon.

I think it is disgusting that they are allowed to do that.

That is exactly what the Pugh's did at Cradley Heath , RBS did with Long Eaton , and what will happen at Coventry , next thing on the cards at Oxford .Mystery fire after someone accidentally leaves the gates open and a few cans of petrol lying around ,,

I hope you are wrong Speedibee but as you say there are precedents for that kind of thing, as I know full well from Cradley.

Good luck to Lucifer Sam and anyone else trying to get Oxford up and running. Geat little Stadium and a real loss to the community as a whole.

My friend from Basingstoke isn't on here but I'm sure he wishes the same as you. He would turn up at Coventry with matching hat and scarf whichever team it was, but now it's just the red/white of Swindon.

A work colleague from Wantage, once in Berkshire, now in Oxfordshire, used to watch speedway at Swindon, Oxford, Reading, for about 40 years, roughly the same distance from all 3 tracks.

Just as a matter of interest, last Saturday Poole's Matt Ford was on BBC Radio Solent's Sports show for over an hour.

During the discussion he mentioned that there was a promoter 'actively pursuing' the Oxford licence, with a view to reintroducing speedway sooner rather than later!! :t:

Interesting, wonder which promoter Matt Ford's good friends with!