British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
remembertheracers

Swindon's New Stadium

In the quoted newspaper link quoted in #79, Mr Russell says

“I don’t know why people have to be so negative about it. “Their business is to know that we are shutting this stadium at the end of this year and we are moving into the new one for next

And it's this pathetic attitude that has seen this crook preside over some of the worst years in British Speedway history!

As if a stadium, which is primarily for greyhounds let's remember, is going to be built in 5 months! A greyhound stadium requires fully licensed bar and restaurant so that people can watch in comfort. You can't just knock something up like Leicester (as suitable as it is for speedway) and hope that people will turn up to the dogs.

• Like 1

I know there will be a logical answer to this but why didn't they just build the houses where the new stadium is going and then leave the track as it is and just knock the stadium down around it and build a new stadium around the old track because swindons track is generally ok! I realise I'm proberly being thick but seems simpler to me

ive been thinking the same thing about reading for years!

Maybe some of the Robins fans were asking for news in a barbed sort of a way?!

Maybe some of the Robins fans were asking for news in a barbed sort of a way?!

What by just asking why there had been no news on it?.

With all the media outlets available why is it so top secret as it's hardly like Clark Osbourne has a history of promising new stadiums that don't see the light of day is it!!.

• Like 1

In the quoted newspaper link quoted in #79, Mr Russell says

“I don’t know why people have to be so negative about it. “Their business is to know that we are shutting this stadium at the end of this year and we are moving into the new one for next

“It is all systems go and we have had many meetings about the fence and the diameter of the track and everything else and it is all positive.”

“There has been a lot of work going on behind the scenes between myself and the stadium owners and the planners, so we are in the picture.”

So there is a message for all the worrying fans - its not for them to know more then the old stadium closes and new one opens next year.

How do you all feel about that?

ps Phone interrupted my initial posting, hence come back and finished now.

Mr Russell on the phone was it ? :rofl:

• Like 2

Is it really going to be that great anyway if it's going to be based on Cardiff?!

I feel for Swindon fans, how can you build a stadium in that time?

And the attitude of Russell leaves a lot to be desired, no way to treat the fans.

• Like 1

Is it really going to be that great anyway if it's going to be based on Cardiff?!

And the attitude of Russell leaves a lot to be desired, no way to treat the fans.

It 'll be great to have a seat and not have to carry yer own in. With a decent view. If its based on Cardiff great, 70,000-plus seats and a roof!

• Like 1

What happens if the abbey closes at the end of the year and the new stadium is not ready in time for the 2016 season. Maybe tel boy has some contingency plans!

• Like 3

Even if it's not ready 'till late May early June that's still enough time to run the small amount of EL fixtures.

I'll be making a trip down when it comes off.

Even if it's not ready 'till late May early June that's still enough time to run the small amount of EL fixtures.

fair point!

Would've rather it been a track similar to Somerset than Cardiff but guess it's just best to have a track.

It 'll be great to have a seat and not have to carry yer own in. With a decent view. If its based on Cardiff great, 70,000-plus seats and a roof!

And some decent bogs ;)

• Like 2

Don't know why Terry always has to use a barbed comment when all Swindon fans wanted was some news.

Totally agree, some promoters forget that the fans are the constant of a club, when the promoters have had their fill and gone the fans are still there as they always have been, have more respect Terry Russell!!!!
  • Like 4

Great, so no fixed start date for Swindon in 2016. So what you'll get is guest after guest after guest as riders will already have their fixtures booked on the continent.

If rider's don't get a guaranteed start date would they even sign for Swindon. I know I wouldn't if another offer was on the table to start in April and a less crammed Summer months.

Definitely can't see a GP rider going with it

• Like 1