British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Speedway Star Item

Funny isn't it how one who went off in a bit of a huff over what I was saying pops up again a few days later providing evidence to prove me right.

Do you have to be so aggravating sometimes BW.

No need for it.

• Like 2

No need for it.

much easier than coming up with positive suggestions though

• Like 1

No need for it.

He relies on phrases like "going off in a huff" or "throwing toys out of pram" because he can't realise that people aren't interested in feeding his ego, or more likely relieving his bordeom, by getting into one of his 'debates' which in fact are nothing of the sort. He just looks for everything he can dispute, picking petty holes and claiming it's intelligent debate.

Then when people quite naturally walk away in disgust he uses his stock phrases to try to belittle them.

Sometimes I feel like taking him off block and turning him inside out because I could if I could be bothered. I'm not. I prefer speedway to provoking arguments which must then be 'won'. It's sad really. Anyway, time to think of the sport and not sad figures like him. He makes no contribution to the sport or this forum.

Now, regarding speedway, I suspect realisation is finally beginning to dawn that the sport as it is currently constituted form is coming to the end of its life. It will live on, as it usually does but financial reality will eventually arrive. The sport in Britain has to be reconstituted as a semi-pro sport which owes nobody a living and where outgoings are kept below income.

If certain riders and name-obsessed supporters are lost then so be it, as long as the changes give us a sustainable base from which the sport can be re-grown. We have to offer a value for money night (ir afternoon) out, with a regular fixture list and credible teams. We need to find new talent and give them a sport they can afford to compete in. We need to take the appalling strain out of the sport. I've worked at a dying track and know just how much strain is created.

British speedway is exhausted in trying to find dates on which to race, finding the money to pay the riders, desperately finding a way to win and keep a crowd. No wonder there's no forward thinking, survival is the only consideration.

We need to re-shape the sport on a cheaper basis, but most of all it once more needs to be fun - for ALL.

But what would I know, it's the likes of BWitcher who have all the answers.......don't they?

Edited by rmc
  • Like 3

The issue is though is that people fixate on certain red herrings( tr, guests,play offs, sky) which have nothing to do with the decline of the sport, and in fact in some cases have helped slow the decline.

The number of people on here advocating a return to what worked 50 years ago, rather than what the sport actually needs which is bringing into the 2010s.

Business is littered with failures where successful ventures ultimately failed due to sticking with what had worked in the past rather than changing to meet consumer demands.

• Like 2

The issue is though is that people fixate on certain red herrings( tr, guests,play offs, sky) which have nothing to do with the decline of the sport, and in fact in some cases have helped slow the decline.

The number of people on here advocating a return to what worked 50 years ago, rather than what the sport actually needs which is bringing into the 2010s.

Business is littered with failures where successful ventures ultimately failed due to sticking with what had worked in the past rather than changing to meet consumer demands.

I'm advocating a return to the success of years ago, but not necessarily by the same methods. We have allowed costs to spiral and that has to be rectified. Without that there is no point in bringing the sport into the 2010s if it's breathing its last. We learn from the past without re-creating it.

• Like 1

He relies on phrases like "going off in a huff" or "throwing toys out of pram" because he can't realise that people aren't interested in feeding his ego, or more likely relieving his bordeom, by getting into one of his 'debates' which in fact are nothing of the sort. He just looks for everything he can dispute, picking petty holes and claiming it's intelligent debate.

Then when people quite naturally walk away in disgust he uses his stock phrases to try to belittle them.

Sometimes I feel like taking him off block and turning him inside out because I could if I could be bothered. I'm not. I prefer speedway to provoking arguments which must then be 'won'. It's sad really. Anyway, time to think of the sport and not sad figures like him. He makes no contribution to the sport or this forum.

Now, regarding speedway, I suspect realisation is finally beginning to dawn that the sport as it is currently constituted form is coming to the end of its life. It will live on, as it usually does but financial reality will eventually arrive. The sport in Britain has to be reconstituted as a semi-pro sport which owes nobody a living and where outgoings are kept below income.

If certain riders and name-obsessed supporters are lost then so be it, as long as the changes give us a sustainable base from which the sport can be re-grown. We have to offer a value for money night (ir afternoon) out, with a regular fixture list and credible teams. We need to find new talent and give them a sport they can afford to compete in. We need to take the appalling strain out of the sport. I've worked at a dying track and know just how much strain is created.

British speedway is exhausted in trying to find dates on which to race, finding the money to pay the riders, desperately finding a way to win and keep a crowd. No wonder there's no forward thinking, survival is the only consideration.

We need to re-shape the sport on a cheaper basis, but most of all it once more needs to be fun - for ALL.

But what would I know, it's the likes of BWitcher who have all the answers.......don't they?

I don't have to rely on phrases at all, because folk like you do go off in a huff.

I have no ego, hence I'll debate with anyone and not 'refuse' to post once my opinion is questioned.

Folks with egos are the ones when as soon as their opinion is questioned, immediately claim the other person only wants to be right and refuses to post again. Basically, doing the precise thing they are whinging about.

On the other thread I stated that the issues regarding Tactical Rides/Guests etc were not the cause of the dropping attendances in speedway. You and tmc refused to believe this and indeed, went off in a huff.

Why did you do this? Not because of any name calling, not because of any stock phrases.. quite simply because it was pointed out, with EVIDENCE that what you were saying was incorrect. Now you could have chosen to counter the argument but instead decided to hurl some insults and the refuse to post again.. something you have done on numerous occasions before.

As for 'turning me inside out'.. I look forward to that day. That would require you to act like an adult long enough to hold a rational debate, past history has shown that you are absolutely incapable of doing that.

Now here we are on this thread and TMC has cited the reason the Speedway Mail closed was due to dropping attendances.... a long time before any of the issues you've banging on about had cropped up.

Spot on ...the moment some one never went with what they said they storm off in a huff . People use terms like that because it was true

I don't have to rely on phrases at all, because folk like you do go off in a huff.

I have no ego, hence I'll debate with anyone and not 'refuse' to post once my opinion is questioned.

Folks with egos are the ones when as soon as their opinion is questioned, immediately claim the other person only wants to be right and refuses to post again. Basically, doing the precise thing they are whinging about.

On the other thread I stated that the issues regarding Tactical Rides/Guests etc were not the cause of the dropping attendances in speedway. You and tmc refused to believe this and indeed, went off in a huff.

Why did you do this? Not because of any name calling, not because of any stock phrases.. quite simply because it was pointed out, with EVIDENCE that what you were saying was incorrect. Now you could have chosen to counter the argument but instead decided to hurl some insults and the refuse to post again.. something you have done on numerous occasions before.

As for 'turning me inside out'.. I look forward to that day. That would require you to act like an adult long enough to hold a rational debate, past history has shown that you are absolutely incapable of doing that.

Now here we are on this thread and TMC has cited the reason the Speedway Mail closed was due to dropping attendances.... a long time before any of the issues you've banging on about had cropped up.

You are wrong I'm afraid BW.

Speedway Support has dropped by at least ONE (because of the Tactical Ride) - me.

So that makes Tony Mac and rmc correct.

As I have said before - I know there are more than just me. That, however, is for the other Thread.

Edited by The White Knight

I agree regarding your summery of Speedway in UK.Realisation is finally dawning regarding the financial side of the sport.

Speedway Support has dropped by at least ONE (because of the Tactical Ride) - me.

As I have said before - I know there are more than just me. That, however, is for the other Thread.

Yet again untrue as you went when there was the Tac sub ...so as I said before you were lying to yourself

Of course it is. Bless.

Except you were attending the sport for years after it was introduced.

As regards this thread, the more the sport cuts the quality and the costs, the more fans walk away, the more money clubs lose. Yet year after year we hear the same thing.. lets cut the costs!

Carry on doing it, there'll be nothing left to cut.

• Like 1

Of course it is. Bless.

As regards this thread, the more the sport cuts the quality and the costs, the more fans walk away, the more money clubs lose. Yet year after year we hear the same thing.. lets cut the costs!

Its easy to say that when it's not your money going down the tubes.

Of course it is. Bless.

ok what then? Open yourself up to the ridicule and scorn you pour on others

besides i wouldnt necessarily assume that racing is worse without big stars - more mistakes are made and the racing could actually be less predictable

I've only ever watched 2nd div racing in the main - i ve never craved EL/D1 racing

also a good chunk of the cost cutting would have to come via machinery costs not just cutting riders expenses although as ive said many times, the idea of flying people round Europe to ride in front of three figure crowds is madness

Edited by ch958
  • Like 2

Its easy to say that when it's not your money going down the tubes.

But cutting costs has been putting money down the tubes that is the whole point ..each year cut costs weaken teams so less and less crowds come ...in the end your not cutting costs at all . No good doing the same things we have been doing for the last 20 years

But cutting costs has been putting money down the tubes that is the whole point ..each year cut costs weaken teams so less and less crowds come ...in the end your not cutting costs at all . No good doing the same things we have been doing for the last 20 years

My point is that it is too late for a lot of Promotions they have payed the price for trying to outdo each other rather than work together for the good of the sport.the money has ran out!! So Promoters are wanting out in a lot of cases.
  • Like 1