British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Elite League 2016 - What Is Required?

Are you going to paid the money all these meetings cost clubs ?...surely you understand that fans don't go to shield matches or knock cup matches anymore hence why were scrapped in the first place

The knock out cup matches were always well attended as far as i remember maybe not the shield.

zzzz...speedway fan in go back to the old days shocker ...you forgot about black leathers and monkey masks by the way .

Leather colours and monkey masks are probably a thing of the past.

However, to put things into persepctive, and clearly you are devoid of how great this sport once was within the UK, maybe you'd care to enlighten us with the progress that this sport has made over the past 40 years?

Because basically, if you can't, then you are clearly talking out of your @rse son.

I'm all ears. x

Are you going to paid the money all these meetings cost clubs ?...surely you understand that fans don't go to shield matches or knock cup matches anymore hence why were scrapped in the first place

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Yes they were poorly attended, but clubs treated the fixtures with contempt by not re-arranging rain-offs for months and eventually forfeiting meetings.

People talk about 20/20 revitalising cricket, a properly organised, run and promoted cup competition (i.e. out of the BPSA's hands) could be the speedway equivalent.

Its such along time since the BSPA have sung from the same hymn sheet. They are always governed by personal interest instead of the sport as a whole. And until such time this changes, then this total shamble will continue......

There are so many positive ideas on here that would have a input to the sport, but they will be met with the same resistance as ever. ' How will they benefit me?' '

Individually, I have a great respect for all PROMOTERS, the way they put their money on the line to promote the sport, But collectively, they must be the most disorganise governing body ever to rule a sport, by thinking only of themselves.... Surely they realise, that if the sport was projected and governed as one then all the promoters would benefit......

The sport has to rid ourselves of the 'THEM AND US' philosophy, and realise we're all this this boat together.........

• Like 1

The knock out cup matches were always well attended as far as i remember maybe not the shield.

The knock out cup was stopped as clubs losing money running the meetings due to lack of fans ..formats like that are dead at EL level .

Leather colours and monkey masks are probably a thing of the past.

However, to put things into persepctive, and clearly you are devoid of how great this sport once was within the UK, maybe you'd care to enlighten us with the progress that this sport has made over the past 40 years?

Because basically, if you can't, then you are clearly talking out of your @rse son.

I'm all ears. x

The sport has not made progress no one has said that it had ...that does not mean that we should bring idea's that have no chance of working these days ..your just another old speedway fan who only wants things to be like when you went . Do you ever stop and think why Golden Helmets ,2nd Halfs etc were stopped in the first place ?

Edited by orion

The knock out cup was stopped as clubs losing money running the meetings due to lack of fans ..formats like that are dead at EL level .

The sport has not made progress no one has said that it had ...that does not mes that we should bring idea's that have no chance of working these days ..your just another old speedway fan who only wants things to be like when you went . Do ever stop and think why Golden Helmets ,2nd Halfs etc were stopped in the first place ?

I think half the problem was teams viewed it as a second rate competition, if they treated it better maybe fans would attend it. It could run alongside the league and have the finals in october. I dont see why it can work in the PL but not EL

The very top riders and perfectly prepared tracks. It's a simple sport, don't make it complicated!

.....and they are still in trouble with falling crowds. Still a few years behind our problems but the trend is still there. There is no quick fix solution.

I think half the problem was teams viewed it as a second rate competition, if they treated it better maybe fans would attend it. It could run alongside the league and have the finals in october. I dont see why it can work in the PL but not EL

Orion is right about crowds. The problem is that unlike League matches there was no Sky money for KO cup matches, and the crowds weren't big enough to sustain it without.

The second uproblem you have is that most of the top continental stars that ride here only want to do a limited number of meetings because of foreign commitments. You can have relatively short season with the likes of Magic, Zagar, AJ , etc or you can have a longer season without them but you can't start adding meetings and keep your top foreign stars.

The third problem you have is that is hard enough now to put a team together without importing guests, if you start adding other competitions that situation will get worse.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 3

It's quite simple the cost and the full diary the top riders have

As your best mate Mr Bratley once said:

I will never forget that the 2006 Grand Final, arguably the greatest modern day meeting ever, watched live by over 6000 people and by thousands more at home, was followed by a Craven Shield fixture attended by less than 700 people. If that Grand Final won’t pull people in, then what will?!?!

Read more:

If we are going to continue with two separate leagues and up to four doubling-up/draft riders, then the Elite and Premier Leagues HAVE to run on different nights.

I'd like to see three nights per league identified (Elite Mon, Wed, Thurs and Premier Fri, Sat and Sun) and a concerted effort by all clubs to move their respective race nights to avoid clashes. It shouldn't be too hard with three nights to choose from.

Very logical - perhaps too logical for those that make the decisions. It makes sense - injuries aside all supporters in Elite & Premier should then see their own team each week.

It's quite simple the cost and the full diary the top riders have

Poole are putting on the riband as a fixture filler, wouldnt more turn up for a koc match?

Very logical - perhaps too logical for those that make the decisions. It makes sense - injuries aside all supporters in Elite & Premier should then see their own team each week.

In which case unlikely to happen as the bspa is not known for common sense and making logical decisions.

• Like 1

Poole are putting on the riband as a fixture filler, wouldnt more turn up for a koc match?

I think more would turn up for the Riband to be honest.

I don't used Poole as the nor as a rule ..due to great support they get hence they can still run a solo event and make it pay