British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Why Was Wembley Better Than Cardiff?.

British speedway fans WILL NEVER FORGIVE Jerzy Szaczakiel and Egon Muller for winning world championship finals.

While they were far from popular winners,both were actually tipped at the start of those seasons.Ok Jerzy was tipped as an outside chance in the season preview mag,but Egon was tipped by none other than Briggo,so it wasn't quite so out of the blue as people later would try to make us believe

On the thread question,i think obviously Wembley was better,but those days have gone and I am not sure what is to be gained from the comparison.Is of course a big big shame that it seems Cardiff is unlikely ever to host the final GP in any season which would boost the occasion by 5-10,000 if a British rider was in with a chance of the title,at a guess

Having been lucky enough to have attended the 75, 78 and 81 Wembley finals, I'd have to say as good as Cardiff is, it doesn't come close to the atmosphere and grandeur that Wembley provided.

I can still remember the excitement of walking up the steps and seeing the track for the first time. The actual racing was never really that great, and it's only Penhalls races with Olsen and Knudsen that stay in my memory, but it was such a great occasion it didn't seem to matter.

I've always felt it a shame that when they built the new Wembley they didn't build new twin towers instead of an arch.

• Like 4

British speedway fans WILL NEVER FORGIVE Jerzy Szaczakiel and Egon Muller for winning world championship finals.

I think everyone acknowledges they were deserving world champs, and that egon was a world class rider.

But that's different from saying they were the best rider in the world, I think it's quite clear neither was in their respective seasons (best on the night though).

While they were far from popular winners,both were actually tipped at the start of those seasons.Ok Jerzy was tipped as an outside chance in the season preview mag,but Egon was tipped by none other than Briggo,so it wasn't quite so out of the blue as people later would try to make us believe

On the thread question,i think obviously Wembley was better,but those days have gone and I am not sure what is to be gained from the comparison.Is of course a big big shame that it seems Cardiff is unlikely ever to host the final GP in any season which would boost the occasion by 5-10,000 if a British rider was in with a chance of the title,at a guess

You are spot on about Briggo's comments regarding Egon.

Gregorij?

So good he's only lying 9th in the SEC.

Imagine if the rider with a 13 point lead in the GPs was in the series :)

Niamh

• Like 1

So good he's only lying 9th in the SEC.

Imagine if the rider with a 13 point lead in the GPs was in the series :)

Niamh

And just imagine if Ward was in it!

And just imagine if Ward was in it!

In the European championship? Gegography not a speciality?

I assume you are aware that Ivan mauger is a four time winner? And know where new Zealand is?
  • Like 1

I did say IMAGINE!

I assume you are aware that Ivan mauger is a four time winner? And know where new Zealand is?

But in those days (1960s) Mauger (and all of his fellow Antipodeans) had to ride with a British ACU license, representing Great Britain, wearing the Union Jack race jacket. He was therefore eligible to ride in the European final, which then was not a stand alone competition, but only one of several stages of the world championship qualifying rounds (which nearly all took place in Europe) on the road leading up to the world final.

I did say IMAGINE!

Ok imagine if Donald Duck was in it he would be awesome, definite champion without a doubt. Its about as relavent

Ok imagine if Donald Duck was in it he would be awesome, definite champion without a doubt. Its about as relavent

Nah, just like Kildemand, Donald would Duck out of a tough challenge!

• Like 2

I know it's completely meaningless as the chances of it happening are about equal to me winning the lottery several times running but.....

We have spoken about Mark Loram winning the World Championship without winning a Grand Prix, but it also occurred to me last night watching the Grand Prix, that a rider could win the World title without ever even winning a race. Second place in every race throughout the season would certainly be enough to win. 14 points every Grand Prix....

Oh well, I told you it was meaningless.

Even more absurd is the fact a rider could win every GP and not win the world title. That's how ridiculous the GP scoring system is.

It is possible to win a GP with 12 points with the second place man scoring 20 points. On that basis it is not too fanciful to see a rider becoming World Champion without winning a GP.

• Like 1

it is not too fanciful to see a rider becoming World Champion without winning a GP.

And his name could be Mark Loram.

• Like 2