British Speedway Forum

Tend to agree regarding Advertising,most people in the area that are interested know there is Speedway in Berwick it's been there since 1968!!. You have to get the product right to sell it too new fans and be able to hold on to them.Unfortunately this has not happened with the sport,and even a lot of regulars have drifted away.Fans are fed up with the way the sport is bring run and voting with their feet plain and simple.There are lots of discussions regarding change hope some good comes out of it .Moral among the fans in the season just past ,is the lowest I have seen it in the history of Berwick Speedway IMO.

I agree, those in charge of British speedway really need to make some fundamental changes, advertising is not the answer.

All the stuff we talked about at the last meeting, but how much of it will happen?

We'll not be holding out breaths!

I agree, those in charge of British speedway really need to make some fundamental changes, advertising is not the answer.

All the stuff we talked about at the last meeting, but how much of it will happen?

We'll not be holding out breaths!

Reading other threads it appears that changes to rules and make up of all three leagues are at least on the cards, how many actually happen remains to be seen but IMO there needs to be significant rule changes for the betterment of everyone, sadly I doubt see those kinds of changes happening.

Agree about advertising, getting new fans along is great, obviously, but it seems Berwick`s problem, and other tracks is keeping their existing customers coming week in week out.

• Like 1

Reading other threads it appears that changes to rules and make up of all three leagues are at least on the cards, how many actually happen remains to be seen but IMO there needs to be significant rule changes for the betterment of everyone, sadly I doubt see those kinds of changes happening.

Agree about advertising, getting new fans along is great, obviously, but it seems Berwick`s problem, and other tracks is keeping their existing customers coming week in week out.

Question is, how many promoters will see the bigger picture and how many will look after their own interests? I always get the impression that as long as their own track is doing okay promoters don't give a great deal about helping other tracks out.

As regards advertising and promotion, the sport needs to win back the fans it has lost and I also think bring in new fans. Even with the fans it has lost, most clubs were losing money. New fans, new sponsors, more support wouldn't go amiss.

Question is, how many promoters will see the bigger picture and how many will look after their own interests? I always get the impression that as long as their own track is doing okay promoters don't give a great deal about helping other tracks out.

As regards advertising and promotion, the sport needs to win back the fans it has lost and I also think bring in new fans. Even with the fans it has lost, most clubs were losing money. New fans, new sponsors, more support wouldn't go amiss.

Some promoters are far to busy trying to stab each other in the back too see the " big picture "

heres suggestion. all teams in league have their very first home meeting for free . invite all schoolkids youth groups etc. as a parent and grandparent i know from experience if the kids like it the parents will end up having to take them. so you get new generation of fans plus paying adults accompanying them.

during breaks for injuries or just normal break at heat 10 put some entertainment on. even a local band say.put different one each week and have a vote for best in season. with some cash prize. its surprising the following some of local bands have plus they tend to have good social media following.

• Like 1

heres suggestion. all teams in league have their very first home meeting for free . invite all schoolkids youth groups etc. as a parent and grandparent i know from experience if the kids like it the parents will end up having to take them. so you get new generation of fans plus paying adults accompanying them.

during breaks for injuries or just normal break at heat 10 put some entertainment on. even a local band say.put different one each week and have a vote for best in season. with some cash prize. its surprising the following some of local bands have plus they tend to have good social media following.

Fair enough suggestion, though when this has been tried at Berwick before, Shielfield has been busting at the seems, then the following week we get back to the normal crowd. Look what happened when the club reduced admission, and introduced kids go free, lots of free kids but no noticeable increase in paying adults.

I sent a few e-mails with suggestions to the club last season on entertainment during races. In this day and age it's vital to keep the crowd entertained as attention spans have shortened and fans get bored far easier. It doesn't have to cost much either, Glasgow have kids chasing the mascot in running races.

Berwick Rangers do a scheme where every week they get a different school to "sponsor" a match, the kids from that school get free admission. I would like to see the speedway adopt that idea. Swells crowd numbers and you still get 20-30 kids needing fed and watered so still make money that way.

I think pushing a meeting through quicker, when possible, keeps the interest and attention, obviously that`s down to the on night referee but there`s to many times we are sat on a Saturday night with an empty track for no apparent reason. Also it would give the club to have a proper second half for younger riders.

• Like 3

Looks like that Berwick, along with one or two other clubs, will need to declare their intention ahead of the AGM deadline of October 17th.

I think pushing a meeting through quicker, when possible, keeps the interest and attention, obviously that`s down to the on night referee but there`s to many times we are sat on a Saturday night with an empty track for no apparent reason. Also it would give the club to have a proper second half for younger riders.

Got to admit you are spot on there that is the main reason my Wife stopped going getting bored between Races and Dick Barrie prattling on before the meeting when it is supposed to be tapes up at 7 pm.

Got to admit you are spot on there that is the main reason my Wife stopped going getting bored between Races and Dick Barrie prattling on before the meeting when it is supposed to be tapes up at 7 pm.

Obviously there are natural breaks, track grading, extra time when a rider has two rides in a spin etc, but even these could and should be kept to a minimum.

• Like 2

Ditto thats why i go on my own now then have the 50 odd miles home to go out for drinks they could take a leaf out of Edinburghs book by just having the interval and draw before heat 15 as we seem to wait ages on the riders being announced,even if half the supporters know who it will be.

• Like 2

To be fair to Mr Barrie, when there`s nothing happening, his job is to fill the gaps, and lets face it nobody fills dead air better than Mt Barrie.

• Like 1