British Speedway Forum

A decent bit of PR, but will it increase crowd numbers? I doubt it.

Maybe they could bring a bus load of their friends and family.

• Like 1

I think it is a great idea.

For me it shows one thing, respect.

So, they are in the process of building a training track, while at the same time giving all ex-riders a lifetime pass.

Seems like they have an overall vision here, and I like it.

Building nice solid foundations for the future, rather than sticking plasters of the cracks.

I think it is a great idea.

For me it shows one thing, respect.

So, they are in the process of building a training track, while at the same time giving all ex-riders a lifetime pass.

Seems like they have an overall vision here, and I like it.

Building nice solid foundations for the future, rather than sticking plasters of the cracks.

Its the crowd levels in the sport that worry for me,that wasn't a big crowd last week for what on paper was decent fixture.Can we survive on that level of support .
  • Like 1

As usual we rely on the fixtures against Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Workington and maybe Redcar for decent crowds. Despite being a Saturday track the days of bus loads of fans coming from other track's apart from the one's I have mentioned seems to have died the death. Hard at times to gauge the Berwick crowds as lot's of stadiums I have visited often have 1 area where fan's congregate where we have 2 stands plus people stand on the bend's as well. Hopefully as weather improves and holiday season comes along we might get a few extra through the turnstiles.

• Like 3

Its the crowd levels in the sport that worry for me,that wasn't a big crowd last week for what on paper was decent fixture.Can we survive on that level of support .

It was a very dull meeting too, wasn't it.. thats the killer

Berwick`s looked to be holding up reasonably well but there seemed to be a drop off for the meetings with Newcastle and then Sheffield last week, which must be a worry as they are attractive opposition. Losing at home doesn't help, lets hope tomorrows practice find the answers to rectify that, and everything is looked at to get the team back winning.

Attendance figures throughout the sport are down, give or take the odd track, but if you look at youtube videos of Shielfield even ten or so years ago, I wouldn't say Berwick's crowds were much bigger then. But these days income can come in different forms, more emphasis is given to sponsorship deals and corporate hospitality. The holiday season is coming up soon and that is when the population of Berwick expands greatly. That's where I think the club need to target the promotion of the sport in the town.

As for inviting all previous Berwick riders, yes this is good PR and should give the club an opportunity to expand the awareness of the club by getting photos, interviews etc. of theses riders into newspapers, the club website, social media.

• Like 4

As usual we rely on the fixtures against Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Workington and maybe Redcar for decent crowds. Despite being a Saturday track the days of bus loads of fans coming from other track's apart from the one's I have mentioned seems to have died the death. Hard at times to gauge the Berwick crowds as lot's of stadiums I have visited often have 1 area where fan's congregate where we have 2 stands plus people stand on the bend's as well. Hopefully as weather improves and holiday season comes along we might get a few extra through the turnstiles.

there was a fair contingent of Sheffield fans there on Sat

Attendance figures throughout the sport are down, give or take the odd track, but if you look at youtube videos of Shielfield even ten or so years ago, I wouldn't say Berwick's crowds were much bigger then. But these days income can come in different forms, more emphasis is given to sponsorship deals and corporate hospitality. The holiday season is coming up soon and that is when the population of Berwick expands greatly. That's where I think the club need to target the promotion of the sport in the town.

As for inviting all previous Berwick riders, yes this is good PR and should give the club an opportunity to expand the awareness of the club by getting photos, interviews etc. of theses riders into newspapers, the club website, social media.

Attendance figures are never published so how do you know out of interest?

Edited by Ben91

Attendance figures throughout the sport are down, give or take the odd track,

Probably by going to the said tracks, opening his eyes and seeing gaps on the terraces that weren't there before?

• Like 3

Easy at Somerset. Cars in the Car Parks/ Fields.

Only what riders and directors told me

In all honesty I hope proves you wrong.

So do I but his track record tells me he probably won't.

So do I but his track record tells me he probably won't.

Having an inconsistent No1 is of no good to Berwick, but Alden certainly has it in him to win the vital races in a meeting, just hope he can do it on a regular bases. I think getting the No1 race jacket was one of Seb`s ambitions at the start of the season so an ambition realised.