British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
allthegearbutnaeidea

Workington V Berwick

I wasn't there so I'm only relying on the comments of two posters on here, but it sounds like no music between races. If it's true then that just plays right into the hands of my belief that you have to entertain the crowd for the full night. Just 15 races alone (or more if there are juniors) won't keep fans happy. You need to keep them occupied during breaks.

The worst example I've seen at Berwick of that this year was the Rye House cup match, without music the place was like a morgue. And they wonder why crowds are falling. We live in an age where attention spans are getting shorter, people need constant distractions, music, chat, action, whatever it is.

there was music on the first bend

At ipswich they play nothing but 70's rubbish, how's that any good for the younger people and keeping them interested. I actually had a good look around at the crowd and would say easily 3/4 of them are over 50, which isn't good for the future

At ipswich they play nothing but 70's rubbish, how's that any good for the younger people and keeping them interested. I actually had a good look around at the crowd and would say easily 3/4 of them are over 50, which isn't good for the future

To be honest you could probably say that about many tracks, out dated music with out dated presentation from out dated presenters.

Exactly. So why isn't anything done about it?

Lethargy from some promoters, an expectation that fans will always turn up to sit or stand through the same dross most weeks, probably why the average age of the average fan is an ageing one.

• Like 1

Lethargy from some promoters, an expectation that fans will always turn up to sit or stand through the same dross most weeks, probably why the average age of the average fan is an ageing one.

You're attempted reasons are so far from the truth.

I'd be interested to find out how many "experts" have come forward to help with this give the recent invitation for help: as stated, it wasn't just financial help that was being asked for.

Speedway "fans" knock the very people who keep it alive.

THAT is really where the lack of foresight resides.

On the point of selling the sport, this is pretty impressive - yet again - from the Glasgow setup.

https://youtu.be/cyHUmpl3hfw

something very strange on that video, its called music that gets your blood pumping. now turn down the volume and watch it again, thats what we get at workington. sad but true. lets have PROPER MUSIC AND NOISE. not the same old nicey nice stuff.

I'd be interested to find out how many "experts" have come forward to help with this give the recent invitation for help: as stated, it wasn't just financial help that was being asked for.

The Promotion have not given out any information about this situation so we don't know how many ideas were put forward ,like you say it was not only the financial side that help was being sought.The "experts" might still be waiting for a reply for all we know.

You seem to be reading something into my post that just isn't there, my post isn't directed at one promotion in particular but promotions in general.

• Like 1

At rye house on Saturday despite the rain they still came out to those magnificent men in there flying machines.at which about 8 people came strolling out talking and were about as interested in marching as the crowd was in watching

At rye house on Saturday despite the rain they still came out to those magnificent men in there flying machines.at which about 8 people came strolling out talking and were about as interested in marching as the crowd was in watching

It's embarrassing

You seem to be reading something into my post that just isn't there, my post isn't directed at one promotion in particular but promotions in general.

My post was a generalisation too, just with a specific example.

As I say, I'd be interested.

There a lots of experts on here, but none of them ever seem to materialise in real life...

I can remember reading in the Speedway Star back in the late 1980's the MC at Oxford saying that the first thing he did every week was put together a tape of music from the top 40 that week to play at the speedway. It's not difficult. Okay some songs are not appropriate, but it's not difficult to put together a collection of upbeat songs.

If you watch rugby league or union matches, or T20 cricket, there are short burst of music after a try or boundary. How about one after a 5-1? I know at Berwick they have certain songs if a rider wins a race, good idea.

Personally I don't care what era the song comes from, as long as it is upbeat and adds to the atmosphere.

And yes, I have sent a lot of thoughts and ideas to the e-mail address for the club. Up to them if they decide if they are good ideas and want to put them into practice.

• Like 1