British Speedway Forum
customhouseregular

Tom Farndon...the Greatest Speedway Rider Of Them All

Did not give up pretty Simple really,you dont rate Dave Morton again look at the 1976 season and remind yourself.!!! As for Gustix he seems a decent bloke loves his speedway he has never done anything to me you god you are like a dog with a bone why? If you have a problem sort it out with him.Every

Gustix post you make a childish remark can you DEBATE? you never seem to be able to do that a shame really,

See what i mean.You just can't understand english

I gave up discussing the topic with you.I know what i did

Just like in this video,i gave up for a quiet life....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCBhKs4faI

I do rate Dave that is why i mentioned him in the unsung heroes thread.He just wasn't as good as his younger brother.Only you come along and try to argue about 1 season,when i/we are talking about a whole career.You have a long record on not being able to understand simple things and will argue til the cows come home that you are right.You can't debate and you are embarrasing

All i was doing was asking for an explanation.If you find that childish it just tells us more about you and your debating skills than anything else.All it was,was a simple question on what was an interesting topic and now we have a load of crap which i am not going to continue with you.Grow up

Edited by iris123

See what i mean.You just can't understand english

I gave up discussing the topic with you.I know what i did

Just like in this video,i gave up for a quiet life....

I do rate Dave that is why i mentioned him in the unsung heroes thread.He just wasn't as good as his younger brother.Only you come along and try to argue about 1 season,when i/we are talking about a whole career.You have a long record on not being able to understand simple things and will argue til the cows come home that you are right.You can't debate and you are embarrasing

All i was doing was asking for an explanation.If you find that childish it just tells us more about you and your debating skills than anything else.All it was,was a simple question on what was an interesting topic and now we have a load of crap which i am not going to continue with you.Grow up

You are a PRICK end of,i never once argued that Chris was not a better rider than Dave.You kept on and on about Dave being a mug was he a mug in 1976 ? ?? he was not in his brothers shadow.He was decent in his own right he averaged more in 76 give him some credit Dave had a higher average than Chris is that SIMPLE anough for you.✌️️

You are a PRICK end of,i never once argued that Chris was not a better rider than Dave.You kept on and on about Dave being a mug was he a mug in 1976 ? ?? he was not in his brothers shadow.He was decent in his own right he averaged more in 76 give him some credit Dave had a higher average than Chris is that SIMPLE anough for you.✌️️

You are bloody simple.Try learning to read.No way did i say Dave was a mug.You are the mug for not understanding the concept of nominating someone as an unsung hero ;)

You are bloody simple.Try learning to read.No way did i say Dave was a mug.You are the mug for not understanding the concept of nominating someone as an unsung hero ;)

Iris go and give gustix a hard time please😩 leave me alone cant be assed on a valued night off again you are a complete prick end of.👺 Edited by Sidney the robin

Just turn the internet off Sid.It isn't for you

Gustix certainly is not for you

No,i have a girlfriend.If he is feeling lonely then you seem made for him

No,i have a girlfriend.If he is feeling lonely then you seem made for him

Is your girlfriend your left hand? if you have a problem with Gustix be a big boy and sort it out. I don't want to hear your CRAP and squabbles with him on here deal with it .😜 Edited by Sidney the robin

Is your girlfriend your left hand? if you have a problem with Gustix be a big boy and sort it out. I don't want to hear your CRAP and squabbles with him on here deal with it .

Bugger off then.

......................... anyway - whatever happened to Tom Farndon? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure::blink:

• Like 2

Yes indeed.As i said it was a very interesting thread until that absolute imbecile arrived

and then Sid turned up to make it even worse!!!!

Yes indeed.As i said it was a very interesting thread until that absolute imbecile arrived

and then Sid turned up to make it even worse!!!!

Now Tom Farndon was a great rider, saying that you would more than likely even disagree about that not to worry eh! 🤔✌️️ Edited by Sidney the robin

Hopefully this excellent Link dedicated to Norman Jacobs' book about Tom Farndon will put the thread back on its proper course?

http://www.speedwayplus.com/TomFarndon.shtml

...or visit here...

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/tom%20faridon.html

This Tom Farndon book review appeared in the 'South London Press' when Norman Jacob's book was first published:

:::

TOM FARNDON; THE GREATEST RIDER OF THEM ALL

Co-authors - Norman Jacobs, John Chaplin

History Press £14.99 (160 pages, many illustrations)

iSBN 978 0 7524 5140 4

TOM Farndon was the idol of both the Crystal Palace and New Cross teams in the early 1930s.

He was undoubtedly the best rider of speedway's early days, although there is conjecture in some quarters as to the overall qualification with the passage of another 75 seasons since his death after a track accident at New Cross on Wednesday August 26 1935.

Farndon was just 24 years old and hailed as the best in the sport at that time. He was an established England international, the holder of the British Individual Championship and the leading rider in the New Cross team.

As a rider, Farndon achieved the peak from the obscurity of riding for Coventry in 1929 to being a superstar for the Palace between 1930-33, then at New Cross when the Palace team moved across south London.

Farndon's fatal crash came in the second-half of a match against Harringay, who won with Farndon scoring nine points. In the race, Farndon was out with team mates Stan Greatrex and Ron Johnson, and the West Ham star Bluey Wilkinson.

Journalist Cyril May wrote: "More than a little halfway down the back straight on the third lap, the New Cross skipper (Johnson) touched the fence and fell. So close was Tom that there was never the slightest possibility of his avoiding the crash or laying down his machine.

"Tom and his machine were thrown into the air, and he was flung an incredible distance before falling on his head. It looked from the terraces as if Tom deliberately turned, to try and hit the fallen machine instead of the man."

Farndon was rushed to the Miller Hospital at Greenwich where he died two days later without recovering consciousness.

Speedway supporters crowded the road outside the hospital to read the notices about Farndon's condition. There were so many of them that bus and tram services were halted.

The book is an absorbing read, written by two of the sport's leading historians, John Chaplin and Norman Jacobs. I recommend it as an essential addition to any speedway library.

JOHN HYAM

Edited by Guest

Always possible in these type of thread.If Fardon can be thought of as one of the best ever because of a few years when he was one of the best and the thought of "what might have happened",it is also possible to come to a conclusion that Ronnie was the best ever,it was just his lack of ambition and his leaving the sport that prevented it.That is why it could be concluded that someone like Michael Lee might have been or was the best ever or Tommy Jansson could have won multiple world titles or could we draw a comparison between Farndon and Darcy Ward?Ward was a great talent who also had crowds of fans outside the hospital after his crash.....all opinions,and hard to say any are wrong

It's not quite fair on Farndon to compare him to Lee or Jansson or Ward and say we can all say what might have been. Farndon actually was not might have been. At the time of his death he had already won the Star Riders' championship (and was favourite for the 1935 title because of his form that year), he was unbeatable in the British Match Race Championship and had beaten all-comers for two years and he held the track record at every track in the National League. He had proved his greatness in his all too short career.

• Like 1

It's not quite fair on Farndon to compare him to Lee or Jansson or Ward and say we can all say what might have been. Farndon actually was not might have been. At the time of his death he had already won the Star Riders' championship (and was favourite for the 1935 title because of his form that year), he was unbeatable in the British Match Race Championship and had beaten all-comers for two years and he held the track record at every track in the National League. He had proved his greatness in his all too short career.

Looking back through my 'Vintage Speedway' and 'Classic Speedway' Magazines it occurs to me that sadly I missed Speedway's truly great years, due to being too young.

Not often you can say that about anything.

• Like 1