British Speedway Forum

I would like to hear what the Rye House owner and co-promoter Warren Scott has to say and make a full honest statement about what’s been going on at Rye House. But it hasn’t just started this week. Let’s go back a couple of months.

First of all, Simon Small the paramedic who has been very much involved at Rye House for a number of years left, or the organisation he worked for did. This man was instrumental in attending to Simon Stead after that horrendous track crash Steady had earlier in the season. Small arranged a collection for the air ambulance. Craig Saul interviewed him over the PA and all seemed to be rosy. Then he just disappeared!

Then track spares man Dave Jessup left. Dave had been there in the pits since the off of the reborn Rockets. Sure we all decide to retire at some stage, but like Small, for Jessup to leave mid-season seems very bazar.

Then on Monday Andrew Silver makes a statement on Facebook that he will no longer be the chairman of the Raiders, but will carry on and until a new team manager can be put into place.

Let’s look here at the facts on Andrew.

He put together at a very late stage a Raiders team who looked poor. On TalkSpeedway before the start of the season Andrew had a 30minute plus interview and he was so positive on the Raiders stating all the riders could up their game. On the same show Rob Branford basically said if it wasn’t Andrew in charge, he wouldn’t have rode at Rye this year.

Five months on, Andrews charges have indeed progressed at a steady rate. Branford at NL level is almost unbeatable around Rye and the away circuits to. Some great words said by his Raiders include from

Lukas Chessell Supper proud of everything you have done for myself the team and the Raiders! 110% commitment! I can't thank you enough Andrew. Gutted for you and Mia. Love you both loads

Kyle Hughes You're the only reason I've been a different rider this year with the belief you put in me and the teams doing great so you better be finishing the season with us!

Every rider who dons a Raiders race jacket rides with 100% effort. Silver junior has in my opinion been a breath of fresh air around Hoddesdon this year. An inspirational and invaluable member of the Rye House set up. I’m assuming Andrew is no longer running the training schools either, another major loss.

So the inspirational Silver is replaced with [no disrespect intended] by John Sampford. He may know the rules but is he inspirational? Well yes as inspirational as a wet blanket! Had he have been the team manager last Sunday at Buxton, Raiders would have been beaten before they’d even arrived at Hi Edge.

With regards to the Rockets, the move to bring in Robert Lambert has come at a time when he was released by Peterborough, but too late in the season to really benefit the senior team at Rye. But an extremely talented rider who I hope has a future at Rye House not just for this season. I do feel for Anders Mellgren. He was scoring points consistently but not enough and since the birth of his baby Robin Aspegren hasn’t been with it at all. So it’s a move that had to be made. But I don’t think this would have happened if Len Silver had been running Rye House alone.

What has been lacking in my opinion in all of this is any statement from Warren Scott. It’s all very well Rye House making a public statement, but surely Scott needs to make a statement here, after all he is the stadium owner and co-promoter. All his statement that says ‘

BMR owner Warren Scott is already looking forward to that debut. “It’s virtually an understatement to say I am delighted and proud to have such an exceptional young talent as Robert on board as part of BMR and Rye House. His achievements to date speak for themselves, and we all know what his full potential could be.

“Robert is just one part of our plans for the future, in what we see as being very exciting times.”

I would imagine BMR has helped bring Robert Lambert to Rye House. I fully understand Rye House is a business, but part of any good business is listening and talking to your customers, in this case the paying public at Rye House Speedway. I’ve saw Mr Scott several times earlier this season but lately I’ve not seen at Rye House.

I do accept there is ‘dead wood’ at Rye House and a new owner will change people, but I fear Mr Scott is getting rid of the wrong people.

I hope Mr Scott will think twice before making brash decisions.

There are obviously a lot of hostilities between lots of people at Rye House, some have either walked away or were pushed. I wonder who will be next?

• Like 5

It all sounds so tragically familiar.

Agree it's a shame that for whatever reason Andrew decided he cannot/doesn't want to carry on with the Raiders. His notes in a recent race card suggested the training days weren't happening so maybe that's something to do with his decision. He will be missed at Rye.

Don't think Sampford is the answer either.

New owners often result in changes, it happens.

• Like 1

Completely agree with Dave but it doesn't stop there

The Ladies who were the first point of contact with the public at the turnstiles and were first class and always gave a smile disappeared, not a good start for me

No work on the stadium contrary to what we were told at the start of the season.

The whole place has an unfriendly feel these days

Developing riders such as the raiders need a wise head, someone they can listen to , learn from and look up to. For me that was Andrew Silver and i listened to him in the early season match at Eastbourne where he gave his mid match team talk, he then took Kyle Hughes to one side to gee him up and advise him on his starting. There has been a massive improvement to Karl both scoring and the way he is riding, most of which i reckon is down to Andrew. To lose the ability to have training schools is so stupid. Where is the future talent going to come from for a team like Rye House?

One thing i will say (and this is to those who go over the top in knocking Sampford) though is get off John Sampford's back. There is little to be done as a team manager as there are little tactical needs anymore. john has like me been a fan since the Rye team came about following the closure of Rayleigh. he has been a fan travelling home and away and only became team manager when we were a nomadic set up prior to Len Silver and our return to Hoddesdon. He has provided a service to the club when no one was willing to do so, he is still very enthusiastic about Rye House, he isn't a Promoter nor does he make money from what he does. I have no doubt than in the near future he will be cast aside like many others by Mr Scott who for me is doing his very best to alienate most people.

A word of advice for Mr Scott, have the courage to show your face at a meeting, get on the mike and say a few words you may well get a bit of respect that you deserve but until you do you'll not get much support from the remaining few fans Rye House have left

Edited by westhamboy66
  • Like 1

Isn't it Len who can't work with his son? I seem to remember Andrew having a massive pop at Len after he cocked up the track for Peterborough meeting which resulted in a dust off for the NL meeting?

Len has also admitted it was him who emailed Mellgren as well.

Len seems to still be running everything & making all of the decisions.

The quicker Scott can get rid of Silver & Sampford the better. Both have long outstayed their welcome. They should both be embarrassed by Ryes performances & league positions for the last few years.

• Like 1

Very worrying times for all south east speedway fans at the launch pad. With all the uncertainty surrounding lakeside's future, the last thing we need is all of this nonsense at rye. Why doesn't Len silver speak up, how can he let rye house stalwarts be shown the door. I know that he doesn't own the stadium anymore, but that should not stop him having a voice.

Len has also admitted it was him who emailed Mellgren as well.

Len seems to still be running everything & making all of the decisions.

I don't think it was Len Silvers decision, he was just doing the dirty work Edited by Shads

I don't think it was Len Silvers decision, he was just doing the dirty work

I totally agree with you shads, he's firing someone else's bullets. Len silver will always be remembered as the man who financed the rye house revival, and brought about its demise.

Shadders should we be looking towards Len or Warren regarding Andrews departure (surely if Andrew wanted to move on he would of waited until after the season as we are coming to the business end of what has been a very successful season for the Raiders)

Im thinking more and more that Rye are going Elite next year and Lamber will be part of that team

Shadders should we be looking towards Len or Warren regarding Andrews departure (surely if Andrew wanted to move on he would of waited until after the season as we are coming to the business end of what has been a very successful season for the Raiders)

I'm don't get involved personally with the ins and outs at Rye. I'm not bothered who's pulling the strings as long as they give me a winning team. I have my suspicions, but it's too complicated to explain and may get me banned from the stadium at best, or up before the courts at worst!!

Edited by Shads

Warren 'Mike Ashley' Scott?

You could do with one at Berwick

You could do with one at Berwick

A sports direct?

Completely agree with Dave but it doesn't stop there

The Ladies who were the first point of contact with the public at the turnstiles and were first class and always gave a smile disappeared, not a good start for me

No work on the stadium contrary to what we were told at the start of the season.

The whole place has an unfriendly feel these days

Developing riders such as the raiders need a wise head, someone they can listen to , learn from and look up to. For me that was Andrew Silver and i listened to him in the early season match at Eastbourne where he gave his mid match team talk, he then took Kyle Hughes to one side to gee him up and advise him on his starting. There has been a massive improvement to Karl both scoring and the way he is riding, most of which i reckon is down to Andrew. To lose the ability to have training schools is so stupid. Where is the future talent going to come from for a team like Rye House?

One thing i will say (and this is to those who go over the top in knocking Sampford) though is get off John Sampford's back. There is little to be done as a team manager as there are little tactical needs anymore. john has like me been a fan since the Rye team came about following the closure of Rayleigh. he has been a fan travelling home and away and only became team manager when we were a nomadic set up prior to Len Silver and our return to Hoddesdon. He has provided a service to the club when no one was willing to do so, he is still very enthusiastic about Rye House, he isn't a Promoter nor does he make money from what he does. I have no doubt than in the near future he will be cast aside like many others by Mr Scott who for me is doing his very best to alienate most people.

As part of the 'nomadic setup' which managed to get the Rockets back on track in 1999(*) I can confirm exactly what happened since I was directly involved in the team manager matter.

A former Rocket was approached to manage the team on a voluntary basis, more in hope than expectation obviously but he could have done exactly the right job.

Sadly all he cared about was money and nobody on the management side were taking any money out of the project so that was a non-starter.

Knowing John was a highly committed supporter who already could be completely relied upon to attend all of the Rockets'; away matches, as he had for many seasons, and had a knowledge of the rule book we asked him to help out which he kindly agreed to.

I remember at our first away match at Buxton having to tell him that yes, the referee wouldn't change his mind but he owed it to the team to call him up and show the team that he was fighting for them.

I think he picked up confidence as time progressed and I was pleased that he was one of the few not to be discarded after the return of the Silvers.

I sincerely doubt that he has any power (and therefore responsibility) for the current state of affairs.

(*Yes we did have a season in 1999, although I doubt it figures in the official history now)