British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

I think that any rider, be he "Johnny Foreigner" or "Johnny English", will prioritise Poland and Sweden over the UK if it came down to having to decide. (see Woffinden, T.). And it's probably not "big money" - more like better money?

But some are better than others, when it comes to sticking to their UK commitments, and it's usually because they are UK-based, like Iversen.

So I don't think you can generalise. And do you consider Australians to be in the "Johnny Foreigner" category?? Most of them are UK-based.

And I suppose just due to sheer numbers, it's pretty difficult to not need to employ a fair number of them, in order for teams to track 7 riders!

I think that Leicester's predicament (and there were plenty of us predicting it from well before they joined the EL) is similar to the overall predicament of the EL, Saturday race night or not. Leicester's situation is just made a lot worse by it.

Mr Hemsley's seemingly delusional output over the past two years about having "big name" riders lined-up has not fooled many, I'm sure. The thing is, does he still harbour such delusions? (and that's just the riders, never mind the track).

Can DH take Leicester any further as he clearly doesn't listen to the paying public and many loyal fans are walking away.

Can DH take Leicester any further as he clearly doesn't listen to the paying public and many loyal fans are walking away.

Loyal fans are walking away from all tracks. Must try harder.

Like Bell Vue and Wolverhampton you mean.

Yep.

Seems Belle Vue are switching to Wednesday,and at Wolves riders like Tai and Pawlicki not interested.

Probably not, unless he has lots of dosh ready to splash.

But hang on a minute - wasn't he boasting last year about Leicester being in the "upper quartile" (his very word i think) of UK speedway clubs when it comes to financial health?

So where are they now? And was that just based on a delusional valuation of the Company?

• Like 1

Belle Vue are switching to Friday but using Wednesday when there is a GP.

Both ourselves and Wolves have found problems signing riders as many don't want to race in Poland, the UK and Sweden on consecutive nights.

Edited by Aces51

Both ourselves and Wolves have found problems signing riders as many don't want to race in Poland, the UK and Sweden on consecutive nights.

That makes a lot of sense.

But it sounds as if Dave "Mr Saturday" Hemsley isn't keen to follow that path for Leicester with the EL - even at the expense of losing one of the best riders Leicester has ever had. Maybe Coventry would object, and Peterborough, and that's where the problem lies?

Wish Wolves would take that option.Wednesday no dogs(but CVS dosent want to upset Brum/Cradley).

Friday,dogs in the afternoon,(same as we already have on a Monday).

Pretty sure we might get a couple of decent heat-leaders if we ride on those nights.

Apologies for hijacking the Leicester thread, but as a Wolves supporter I was raised on Friday night as race night and preferred that., but things altered when danMc & CVS swapped race nights and moved Hans Nielsen to the Brummies. So how about the Brummies having Mondays!

As for Leicester's ambitions and the current decline of the Elite League - should they consider reverting back to Tuesday's as per the Blackbird Rd days and ride in the Swedish League. this way Doyle can remain with them, and the team can be rebadged as Lionerna - simples 😄😄

Edited by Lefty
  • Like 1

It seems to me that this year is one of the worst years for the EL, we have been going on about it year after year, but now it just seems to have hit rock bottom, taking a back seat to the other European nations.

We don't even come out as second best these days. How long before it is all wrapped up.

As said ealier I would rather watch a good meeting with a good selection of young Brits, than these so called super stars, who try to have the promoters over a barrel, the only reason they don't want to come and race over here is that fact that the promoters, cut their apron strings and could no longer call the shots.

Apologies for hijacking the Leicester thread, but as a Wolves supporter I was raised on Friday night as race night and preferred that., but things altered when danMc & CVS swapped race nights and moved Hans Nielsen to the Brummies. So how about the Brummies having Mondays!

As for Leicester's ambitions and the current decline of the Elite League - should they consider reverting back to Tuesday's as per the Blackbird Rd days and ride in the Swedish League. this way Doyle can remain with them, and the team can be rebadged as Lionerna - simples

Yes Lefty,remember the first thing that over the tannoy "Friday night is speedway night".

Couldnt beat it when we had Cradley at Monmore on Friday,followed by the return at Dudley Wood next night.

Atmosphere was crazy.Once spent two hours in Old Hill nick for being to boisterous.

* Sorry not on Wolves thread,but just a follow-up to the one by Lefty.

• Like 1

Any good reason why we couldn't have Elite League run on Thursdays and Fridays with all promoters agreeing that this means where possible each team rides one match at home and away (yes I know there will be rain offs) and teams taking a even share of race nights -

As an example (to make things simple) if the league remained with eight teams meeting each other four times then one team rides the A fixture on Friday at home and the away A fixture on a Thursday and then change so that the other team has home advantage for the B fixture on Friday and away on Thursday for the B fixture.

By adopting this approach teams would save on costly travel and each have a none school next day fixture night.

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

Probably not, unless he has lots of dosh ready to splash.

But hang on a minute - wasn't he boasting last year about Leicester being in the "upper quartile" (his very word i think) of UK speedway clubs when it comes to financial health?

So where are they now? And was that just based on a delusional valuation of the Company?

Talking to yourself again !!!!

Jason has said on Twitter that nothing has been done in terms of who he'll be riding for in 2016.

Makes a bit of a joke of the Interview in this week's Speedway Star (repeated in the Daily Star), doesn't it?! :wink:

I'd have thought that having settled in Norwich he would be looking to do a deal at the Adrian Flux Arena?!

Edited by Skidder1

Makes a bit of a joke of the Interview in this week's Speedway Star (repeated in the Daily Star), doesn't it?! :wink:

I'd have thought that having settled in Norwich he would be looking to do a deal at the Adrian Flux Arena?!

For most Aussies travelling 200 miles for a home track meeting's no great shakes ;)