British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle V Edinburgh Sunday 13th September 2017 2nd Leg Plknock-out Cup

Too be honest I too would have Steve over Wolbert but dantodan seems fixated at "our 5 second strings" and therefore doesn't recognise the season Steve has had.

• Like 2

Question: Will Tero be back on Sunday. The team needs the little guy.

As I have said all season long, Newcastle are a team of second strings, we do not have a proper heatleader. Steve is close but still not in the heatleader mold.

Now Edinburgh have 3 heatleaders Craig Cook, Sam Masters and Kevin Wolbert. Much as I would love us to win big enough to go through to the cup. I think the Monarchs heatleaders will stop us and that is the end of the season despite the rearranged Rye House match

Teams for Sunday:

http://www.newcastlediamonds.co/news/article.asp?id=100460

I think the Monarchs have too much top end strength for us and they always seem to perform at Brough so this may come down to the reserves. Will be an interesting match as always good to watch the Cookie Monster around Brough and he had a couple of great battles with Richie a few years back. Elbows at the ready!!! :t:

I have been "guilty" of calling the lads a "Team of Second Strings" well I will change that as Steve Worrall has emerged as a heat leader and I hope he and the evil twin will be Diamonds together again in 2016. Fingers crossed that will happen.

The Newcastle website names Sundays Teams as follows:

Newcastle Sapphire Engineering Diamonds

1. Steve Worrall 8.34
2. Christian Henry 4.97 r/r (back injury)
3. Richie Worrall 7.11 guest for Lewis Kerr (7.38 enhanced) Speedway injury.
4. Anton Rosen 5.52
5. Ludvig Lindgren © 7.27
6. Simon Nielsen 4.17
7. Tero Aarnio 4.53

Edinburgh Monarchs

1. Craig Cook captain 10.02
2. Justin Sedgmen 8.12
3. Kevin Wolbert 8.29
4. Erik Riss 5.10
5. Sam Masters 9.13
6. Max Clegg 3.26
7. Rob Branford 3.14

Now the Monarchs are a great team, Heat leaders Err ....(Cook, Wolbert and Masters) trying not to use terms like second strings/heat leaders will score heavily at Brough and reserve Branford impressed me last time he rode at here so the diamonds need a minor miracle to pull back so many points but you never know do you. Gotta be sensible and say the Monarchs will progress but maybe the Diamonds will give them a hard time!

Edited by dantodan

Sedgmen's no slouch round Brough either, these days :(

plenty water on the track, I say, erhhh, hold on ;)

Yes, it is going to be tough to beat the Monarchs on their present form, but we are a much changed septet than our league position suggests. I think we will win, but it will take a 'real' Herculian effort from all the team to get the aggregate in our favour. Not your average Monarch Herculian effort of cyclone and Al Stewart proportions, but a real Diamonds Herculian effort that we have done at least 3 times already at home with Glasgow X2 and Sheffield.

Pleased to see Aarnio and Evil twin in our corner for this one, as we will need their quality if they perform to normal. Teo and Simon I would expect to dominate Clegg and Brandford at reserve, whilst Richie along with Ludde and Steve will want to lower both Cookies and Grins colours. Dangerman for me is Sedgman, who once couldn't ride our place, but you can see from his healer leaders average he must have mastered a lot of tracks to show the improvement he has made.

Looks like a great contest, regardless of who wins on aggregate. Weather is good for tomorrow, and todays rain will certainly made our track heavy. Bring it on. :P

• Like 2

Yes, it is going to be tough to beat the Monarchs on their present form, but we are a much changed septet than our league position suggests. I think we will win, but it will take a 'real' Herculian effort from all the team to get the aggregate in our favour. Not your average Monarch Herculian effort of cyclone and Al Stewart proportions, but a real Diamonds Herculian effort that we have done at least 3 times already at home with Glasgow X2 and Sheffield.

Pleased to see Aarnio and Evil twin in our corner for this one, as we will need their quality if they perform to normal. Teo and Simon I would expect to dominate Clegg and Brandford at reserve, whilst Richie along with Ludde and Steve will want to lower both Cookies and Grins colours. Dangerman for me is Sedgman, who once couldn't ride our place, but you can see from his healer leaders average he must have mastered a lot of tracks to show the improvement he has made.

Looks like a great contest, regardless of who wins on aggregate. Weather is good for tomorrow, and todays rain will certainly made our track heavy. Bring it on. :P

I'm hoping that it will be a good injury free Meeting and that the 'Diamonds' can run in a thumping win.

• Like 1

I can see too many likely 3/3's for us to dent their aggregate lead for us to progress, but fingers crossed.

I can see too many likely 3/3's for us to dent their aggregate lead for us to progress, but fingers crossed.

I fear you may be right HD, but seeing as the last PL match against 'Rye' has been put back,,, maybe Newcastle have plans of a final next week ;)

• Like 1

steves 8.34.... Wolbert 8.29

Id have Steve anyday out of the 2.

Wolbert will prob go elsewhere next year and drop his average to go back to the monarchs the year after :)

Wolberts average for 2015 is over 9.00 just that his proper average still takes into account some of his 2014 rides.

No one will be as so stupid to take him on that average knowing what passed in 2014, not even Edinburgh i suspect unless one of the other top 4 move on.

That's what Edinburgh do to you, a very solid and incredibly difficult side to shake off, we managed 8pts for most of last night, squeezed them to 10 by ht 14 and then lost a heat advantage in the last to bring it back to 8 again?

A very good side that can score from anywhere when you least expect it that's what makes them so successful but, it's your track tonight and I dont see you rolling over so, best of luck with that, you just might need it? ;)

• Like 2

Wolberts average for 2015 is over 9.00 just that his proper average still takes into account some of his 2014 rides.

No one will be as so stupid to take him on that average knowing what passed in 2014, not even Edinburgh i suspect unless one of the other top 4 move on.

Will there be another young German lined up to replace him if he doesn't come back next season,i wonder?

Macgregor the ref making a balls up again, letting Aarnio have 8 races, 2 4 6 8 10 11 12 and 14...... Maybe they are trying new rules for 2016

Macgregor the ref making a balls up again, letting Aarnio have 8 races, 2 4 6 8 10 11 12 and 14...... Maybe they are trying new rules for 2016

Surprised the Grand Monarch let him have any. :o:cheers:

• Like 1