British Speedway Forum
customhouseregular

Penhall...world Speedway Champion

Having just finished this book I can confirm it is an excellent read.

Any fan who watched speedway during the Penhall years, particularly Cradley supporters and anyone like me who was at Wembley for the 1981 WF would enjoy this.

probably last of the crowd pullers..excellent style, but a rider any marketing firm would love to work with

Very true Colin. What struck me reading this book is just how far British speedway has fallen in the 30+ years since Penhall retired. Fans had a feast of speedway in 1981 compared to today.

• Like 1

That's a much more complimentary review of the book than the last one posted on here. Will see if I can find that thread

Maybe I am easily pleased but i think not. Obviously the writer is/was a massive Penhall fan but even so...

Having seen Pehall fail at White City and triumph at Wembley, I found this book informative and most enjoyable. Perhaps the earlier reviewer was not a fan of either the rider or the writer.

I had not read sidney's post of 17.01.2014 but it fits in with my thread I think.

Not sure what book dirt was reading. I don't understand his comments.

Thanks for the link Mr. W.

I never realised there were so many people who were not lovers of Penhall the person.For me he was a great rider,he would of stopped Erik/Hans dominating if he had not retired i am sure of that no way he would of beat Egon in 83 though.He did leave the sport in the S... , looking back at it now it seems a really strange thing to do.I don't know if anybody else has read the same thing, but apparently the last time he had a few laps he could hardly slide the bike.I don't know if that is true? really surprising because he was a brilliant motorcyclist maybe the bikes have changed so much.

Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

I remember him at the PC farewell meeting Sid, he hadn't ridden a bike competitively for 5 years, and he cleaned up against PC 3-0 with absolute ease.

Maybe he hadn't got on a bike since then, a 25 year gap in riding a bike probably makes a difference.

I don't think it was strange timing at all - what better way to bow out than winning a back to back world title on home soil (the only final EVER in your own country), before leaving to join the great American profession of acting, at atime when Chips was a pretty major tv series.

what gets me is how many people hold a grudge against him for that one race in 82, when so many othe rriders did it ove rthe years (I notice TWK in that thread condemns him for race fixing, while at the same time praising Simmo - who served a one year ban for race fixing!)

I remember him at the PC farewell meeting Sid, he hadn't ridden a bike competitively for 5 years, and he cleaned up against PC 3-0 with absolute ease.

Maybe he hadn't got on a bike since then, a 25 year gap in riding a bike probably makes a difference.

I don't think it was strange timing at all - what better way to bow out than winning a back to back world title on home soil (the only final EVER in your own country), before leaving to join the great American profession of acting, at atime when Chips was a pretty major tv series.

what gets me is how many people hold a grudge against him for that one race in 82, when so many othe rriders did it ove rthe years (I notice TWK in that thread condemns him for race fixing, while at the same time praising Simmo - who served a one year ban for race fixing!)

The strange thing for me aces1" that he was approaching his peak,he was not on the slide, but i always had a sneaky feeling he was not totally in love with racing.

here's the thread in question, a poster called "dirt" gives his thoughts

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=57298

Anyone who doubts Tony Mac's post on the John Louis book topic should just take a look at that.... I could hardly believe what I was reading at some points of it.... in fact, I still can't :neutral:

I completely agree - it happened all the time, the only thing Bruce did wrong was how he executed it.

For example, British semi final at Sheffield in 1980, Dave Jessup I think unbeaten up to that point and Michael Lee who needed points to get through to the British Final, both of course then at King's Lynn, met in the last hat, needless to say Mike the Bike wins in order to get his requisite points, and the rest, as they say, is history...

I also went to an Overseas Final at Coventry, think it was 1994, the one where Joe Screen was struggling, and Jeremy Doncaster who had the points in the bag already went out and finished ahead of him in their last race - I walked past the pits afterwards and a group of fans were stood on those steps to the home straight bar which overlook the pits, hurling abuse at the Donc, because he HADN'T let Joe through!

The strange thing for me aces1" that he was approaching his peak,he was not on the slide, but i always had a sneaky feeling he was not totally in love with racing.

I agree, he could afford to do it just for his "beer money" as I would say, whereas others needed to earn the money just to live.

Anyone who doubts Tony Mac's post on the John Louis book topic should just take a look at that.... I could hardly believe what I was reading at some points of it.... in fact, I still can't :neutral:

I completely agree - it happened all the time, the only thing Bruce did wrong was how he executed it.

For example, British semi final at Sheffield in 1980, Dave Jessup I think unbeaten up to that point and Michael Lee who needed points to get through to the British Final, both of course then at King's Lynn, met in the last hat, needless to say Mike the Bike wins in order to get his requisite points, and the rest, as they say, is history...

I also went to an Overseas Final at Coventry, think it was 1994, the one where Joe Screen was struggling, and Jeremy Doncaster who had the points in the bag already went out and finished ahead of him in their last race - I walked past the pits afterwards and a group of fans were stood on those steps to the home straight bar which overlook the pits, hurling abuse at the Donc, because he HADN'T let Joe through!

I agree, he could afford to do it just for his "beer money" as I would say, whereas others needed to earn the money just to live.

That's my point - if you are going to do something like that - don't make it obvious. It does nothing for your image or more importantly that of the Sport.

I have just read the complete original thread on Penhall and can't quite believe some of the vitriol.

I do believe he made a poor career choice in 1982 but it was his choice to make.

However, I admired the rider and enjoyed the book and, as my OP stated, I was recommending it to Cradley supporters and people who saw Penhall ride.

Is "dirt" still around as I would like to ask him...Where does it say anywhere that a double World Champion in any sport has to continue competing, as retiring is "wimping out"?.

I have just read the complete original thread on Penhall and can't quite believe some of the vitriol.

I do believe he made a poor career choice in 1982 but it was his choice to make.

However, I admired the rider and enjoyed the book and, as my OP stated, I was recommending it to Cradley supporters and people who saw Penhall ride.

Is "dirt" still around as I would like to ask him...Where does it say anywhere that a double World Champion in any sport has to continue competing, as retiring is "wimping out"?.

I think Custom you are spot on, he was in control of his own destiny and we should all respect it.Going off subject that's why Marciano 49/0 for me was a sporting hero of mine he promised his mum he would quit and stuck to it.He was offered millions to comeback and try to get to 50/0 he said No he would of been offered massive sums.Penhall went out on his terms i know he was lucky against Carter but under pressure which in 82 for him in the Usa was huge he was great at handling it. Edited by sidney