British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bash

Ipswich 2016

I've been hitting the nail on the head for years, it's just others don't see the nails, in fact some don't know what carpentry is lol. There is a song that comes to mind. To blind to see it

Think there are many fans that have hit the nails in the head and have walked away after no one listened. More and more people say "i used to go" All the time we are told "at least you have a somewhere to ride and have a team" but that mindset will see the sport die. Its been said before but the whole sport is on its bum and drastic action needs to be taken from all in positions of power to find a solution..... and fast!

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

Would Ipswich be better running NL with the gaps filled by 'open meetings' and getting sponsors for top class riders to attend. In other words plan the meetings around quality rider availability and get good sponsors to support these individual meetings with good prize money to make it tempting enough to get the NP's of this world to cross the Norh Sea. Maybe better to have regular speedway rather than eratic meetings where you simply no longer get your weekly fix. It has to be worth trying something different rather then let it die a lingering death as appears to be the case. Perhaps the current promoters have given up, otherwise why no drastic changes to save the good name of the Witches. So sad the way it is going.

Let's just hope that if more changes do become necessary (which does look rather likely) that they are done in a timely fashion so that we might have some hope of getting close to the top six in the league.

think you would be surprised by the people staying away because of the way it run. new owners would/could rejuvenate foxhall

I don't get it there was 3 to 4 times as many people there last Thursday than we get at Rye for normal meeting,,On that crowd you should be able to afford the best side in the league...

But we have to pay rent and don't make any money from food and drinks

The crowd is half what it was a few years ago.

Edited by baldyman

You coming again on Thursday? The bug has got ya

Yes I'm planning to be there on Thursday but unsure what bug I've caught yet. It was terminal boredom at the Rye Mouse match.

Still feel that CL has missed a trick in not signing James Shanes, but maybe he wasn't available, and that is the last time I mention his name on here.

If this Witches team can't beat this current Moanarchs side, we may as well all pack up and go home, never to be seen again.

Edited by macca56

Well if you can't beat us on Thursday....

We could be even weaker than usual.

Ryan had a big off on Saturday, wrecked his bike, his helmet and didn't do himself much less.

Erik had a huge crash in the farcical sgp qualifier today. Don't know if he'll be fit for Thursday. If not, his average is 2.5 under what he's averaging this season so r/r would be jye and the reserves.

And cleggy had to pull out of Sunday's meeting because of a virus so who knows if he'll be fit.

And will Dan the Man be available or has he got SATs to sit at school?!!

• Like 1

Well if you can't beat us on Thursday....

And will Dan the Man be available or has he got SATs to sit at school?!!

Agreed Scotsman, agreed.

Isn't 'SAT' the past participle of 'sit'?

Yes I'm planning to be there on Thursday but unsure what bug I've caught yet. It was terminal boredom at the Rye Mouse match.

Still feel that CL has missed a trick in not signing James Shanes, but maybe he wasn't available, and that is the last time I mention his name on here.

If this Witches team can't beat this current Moanarchs side, we may as well all pack up and go home, never to be seen again.

I wouldn't be so sure about beating Edinburgh unless half their team is missing. Winning form is great, losing form is hard to shake off. Minor changes at reserve will solve nothing. I don't think any of us really know the answers but can clearly see the problems. In terms of league structure in general I have for a long time hoped we could see one big league. Possibly 6 man teams to reduce the burden of the shortage of riders. Set a points limit of around 32 points and have one big league of 24 teams home and away once . Riders would be guaranteed a minimum of 46 meetings as you could ban doubling up. Then you make it a minimum of 4 of the 6 riders must be homegrown. Yes for a few years the racing may be crap with a number of inexperienced riders, but if you give them opportunities they will improve. So then if you disagree then what's the alternative? Stick with status quo or be brave and revitalize the sport.it's needed or what's left of the sport will die in the resuscitation room.

Sorry, that reply was meant for everyone.

• Like 3

Great Post TB.

ollie greenwood gets a new racing suit . what colour will it be, green or yellow ?

I wouldn't be so sure about beating Edinburgh unless half their team is missing. Winning form is great, losing form is hard to shake off. Minor changes at reserve will solve nothing. I don't think any of us really know the answers but can clearly see the problems. In terms of league structure in general I have for a long time hoped we could see one big league. Possibly 6 man teams to reduce the burden of the shortage of riders. Set a points limit of around 32 points and have one big league of 24 teams home and away once . Riders would be guaranteed a minimum of 46 meetings as you could ban doubling up. Then you make it a minimum of 4 of the 6 riders must be homegrown. Yes for a few years the racing may be crap with a number of inexperienced riders, but if you give them opportunities they will improve. So then if you disagree then what's the alternative? Stick with status quo or be brave and revitalize the sport.it's needed or what's left of the sport will die in the resuscitation room.

The idea of one league was tried in the 90's and it didn't work then, I don't think it would work now either.

Better solution in my view is two have two leagues.

League 1 is of a standard of EL/PL. After all the difference is minimal with riders doubling up scoring more points in some cases in the EL than the PL.

League 2 would be the current NL standard of racing.

Would there be enough riders to do this I guess is the six million dollar question. But I'm sure some PL teams would drop a league and when you think back to the late sixties the two tear system of speedway worked for many years and produced many good British riders. Just a thought.....

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

The idea of one league was tried in the 90's and it didn't work then, I don't think it would work now either.

Better solution in my view is two have two leagues.

League 1 is of a standard of EL/PL. After all the difference is minimal with riders doubling up scoring more points in some cases in the EL than the PL.

League 2 would be the current NL standard of racing.

Would there be enough riders to do this I guess is the six million dollar question. But I'm sure some PL teams would drop a league and when you think back to the late sixties the two tear system of speedway worked for many years and produced many good British riders. Just a thought.....

I liked 95 and 96, different opposition every week made a change. From memory I don't think the top club promoters liked it. The annoying thing is that promoters always talk about change but no one actually ever does it. Bit like trying to put a house fire out with a bucket of water. Cost is obviously a huge factor. Does anyone remember the Honda experiment at Sheffield a few years ago. Why was it never followed up.

Oh well. Not looking to make any more changes. I can forsee changes though, more empty seats if we lose any more