British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers 2016

Isn't it time there was an independent body running the sport. You can't have promoters of other teams deciding the future of another club, it's madness. As a compromise, why not allow the signing of Cook, but use a 3 point guest when he's double booked for Belle Vue

• Like 2

To be fair, Peterboro did not want to announce this until the BSPA had ruled on it. That decision was taken out of their hands by Porsing and/or his manager who leaked the story on social media. So really it's a bit harsh to blame Rathbone.

I wonder whether the fans would have been given any explanation had it not been for the explosion of tweets/fb posts/BSF posts that followed the initial announcement. I applaud the fact they have tried to give fans an explanation even tho I think it's crap.

That still doesn't get away from the fact that they tried to sign a rider who doubles up with a club with the same race night when there is a precedent (Lewis Kerr) that you can't do it or the fact that Rathbone was told by Godfrey that it wouldn't happen.

Even with a ruling in place and advice from the VP of the BSPA (which, lets face it, is pretty good) Peterborough still went ahead.

That's entirely down to them, even if the fact that it became public knowledge isn't although what's the chances that we wouldn't have had an outburst of a similar nature even if Porsing hadn't said something ? Slim, I'd say.

As to your second point you might be right but its never stopped them ignoring the fans in the past.

So is it a coindence a PL promotor declined the move?

Surely it's upto Peteborough to run their business as they see fit, and if they think having their no.1 missing for 3 meetings is acceptable that's upto them. Effectively the BSPA have made up a rule because the fans won't accept a rider missing. I sense that is just a excuse that barely scratches the surface.....

The thing is the rule was already in place - its why Lewis Kerr rides for Lakeside, not King's Lynn. This hasn't been created for this occasion.

Don't disagree with any of that although there are inconsistencies with their approach to doubling up. Given the number of PL tracks that ride on a Thursday & Friday night should any EL rider who has a home EL race night of a Thursday or Friday be allowed to double up? It appears the BSPA are only concerned about home availability but that ignores problems of availability for away matches as we are seeing with Newcastle's doubling up riders.

Rob Godfrey states the criticism of the BSPA is unfair - well here's a unique idea, why not explain why a decision has been made at the same time as announcing the decision? Not hours or days later when the damage has already been done. Use some common sense.

I can see your point but there have to be limits somewhere. You can make a case for a rider riding for Swindon doubling up with Peterborough but when home fixtures clash potentially every week its very hard to do so.

On your second point, completely agree. The only thing is at least we have an explanation here not the usual mushroom theory and that must be a step in the right direction.

Isn't it time there was an independent body running the sport. You can't have promoters of other teams deciding the future of another club, it's madness. As a compromise, why not allow the signing of Cook, but use a 3 point guest when he's double booked for Belle Vue

I have always said that you can't have an independent body running the sport but you must for arbitration, as here.

The only thing is for once I think the decision would have been the same.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

That still doesn't get away from the fact that they tried to sign a rider who doubles up with a club with the same race night when there is a precedent (Lewis Kerr) that you can't do it or the fact that Rathbone was told by Godfrey that it wouldn't happen.

Even with a ruling in place and advice from the VP of the BSPA (which, lets face it, is pretty good) Peterborough still went ahead.

That's entirely down to them, even if the fact that it became public knowledge isn't although what's the chances that we wouldn't have had an outburst of a similar nature even if Porsing hadn't said something ? Slim, I'd say.

As to your second point you might be right but its never stopped them ignoring the fans in the past.

The thing is the rule was already in place - its why Lewis Kerr rides for Lakeside, not King's Lynn. This hasn't been created for this occasion.

I can see your point but there have to be limits somewhere. You can make a case for a rider riding for Swindon doubling up with Peterborough but when home fixtures clash potentially every week its very hard to do so.

On your second point, completely agree. The only thing is at least we have an explanation here not the usual mushroom theory and that must be a step in the right direction.

I have always said that you can't have an independent body running the sport but you must for arbitration, as here.

The only thing is for once I think the decision would have been the same.

Where is the rule? Kerr doesn't ride for Kings Lynn because they opted against using him after he had signed for Ipswich, that was the clubs decision.

Question is, will Porsing agree to return to Panthers ?

indeed - where do we go from here?

It could be down to the lake I fear!

That petition Peterborough are sharing on twitter is rather stupid and very misleading, yes the first reason the BSPA gave of blocking the team changes was rather stupid, especially by quoting that rule.

But Craig Cook himself is not being blocked from riding in the PL he is free to sign for any club not riding on a Friday night, which is officially Peterborough's race night, the same as Belle Vue. Ged Rathbone was told this by Rob Godfrey, but yet he went ahead and ditched the 2 riders first anyway and now is throwing his toys out of the pram, saying he's considering his future in the sport!

Unfortunate for Craig Cook and the fans as he would be the best rider in the league again but Ged Rathbone and the club are making a massive issue out of this when he ignored what the Vice Chairman had to say to him in the first place.

Edited by Marksman
  • Like 6

That petition Peterborough are sharing on twitter is rather stupid and very misleading, yes the first reason the BSPA gave of blocking the team changes was rather stupid, especially by quoting that rule.

But Craig Cook himself is not being blocked from riding in the PL he is free to sign for any club not riding on a Friday night, which is officially Peterborough's race night, the same as Belle Vue. Ged Rathbone was told this by Rob Godfrey, but yet he went ahead and ditched the 2 riders first anyway and now is throwing his toys out of the pram, saying he's considering his future in the sport!

Unfortunate for Craig Cook and the fans as he would be the best rider in the league again but Ged Rathbone and the club are making a massive issue out of this when he ignored what the Vice Chairman had to say to him in the first place.

The vice chairman doesn't make decisions on his own and who was to say it was correct in the best interests of British speedway that Ged should accept his advice.

• Like 1

The vice chairman doesn't make decisions on his own and who was to say it was correct in the best interests of British speedway that Ged should accept his advice.

Do keep up. The BSPA decision shows that Rathbone would have been better off listening to the advice.

Edited by Alan Jones
  • Like 1

If there was going to be a guest fest each and every Friday then fair enough, but for three meeting clashes there isn't, I would support this decision if Peterborough had dropped a Brit to bring in a foreign rider who rode for a Friday track. But all Peterborough seem to be doing is getting one of our top riders into their team, and giving a chance to a young British rider, surely it does Team GB good to have Cook riding on a regular bases.

Do keep up. The BSPA decision shows that Rathbone would have been better off listening to the advice.

Advice from a man who incited fans to sit on the startline with him because he couldn't get is own way .

• Like 4

Advice from a man who incited fans to sit on the startline with him because he couldn't get is own way .

Good advice nevertheless.

• Like 1

The Scotsman has already pointed out that there are more than three fixture clashes. And that's before Belle Vue start to re-arrange their postponed meetings.

Surely it's simple common sense being applied in this case. Doubling-up is bad enough as it is, before you allow it to happen with tracks with the same race-night.

All the best

Rob

R.Lambert will miss more matches for Newcastle than C.Cook would miss for Panthers but that's ok

• Like 5

Many ask for transparency, I have no need to not tell the facts as they were. As I help, manage Nick for no personal or financial gain other than personal pleasure in helping a young man who was instroduced to me 3 years ago when he came to the UK. If Peterborough have made an error, then please don't blame Nicklas, all he has done is tried his best and been sacked. Thank you - David Wootton

You do your job well. There are always two sides to a story but you put forward a good case on the issues.

• Like 1