British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers 2016

Don't think there is any chance of us returning to the Elite League next season. Would rather stay Premier League any way, because I never watched a decent meeting last year in the Elite.

Unfortunately I suspect that most that currently go to the Showground would share your views. The Elite League supporters voted with their feet and just did not come anymore. Myself, Riggers and a very few others being the exceptions.

Peterborough is a super race track and the standard of racing is not about which league you are in at such a good track.

The World Team Cup a number of years back was the BEST meeting that I have seen in the last decade. Fabulous racing that day

At the Fours this year, someone was saying that Peterborough have home advantage today. I rebuked them since the track is so good that there is not a home track advantage..... all that is required is a well prepared track and REAL racers on it.

Unfortunately I suspect that most that currently go to the Showground would share your views. The Elite League supporters voted with their feet and just did not come anymore. Myself, Riggers and a very few others being the exceptions.

Live in hope Rodders, live in hope ;)

Having said that, it's not too bad now given better presentation and only turning the roving mic on sparingly for relevant info that can be heard. The PL is like treading water though, you're not going anywhere. The EL is currently continuing pants with the PL being the better league atm, but will it stay that way, who knows? If they ever sort the EL out, in terms of size and quality, before it fully implodes, then it might once again be the place to be, however, under current rules and set up, it pains me to say that Panthers are probably in the best place?

Edited by Crump99

I think the fact that Horton was the boss had a fair bit to do with it plus a race night that just didn't suit anyone.

A competitive team racing on Fridays & Sunday afternoons has seen more than a few fans return and the management have also done a good job on getting the fans involved with the club & riders.

• Like 3

I think the fact that Horton was the boss had a fair bit to do with it plus a race night that just didn't suit anyone.

A competitive team racing on Fridays & Sunday afternoons has seen more than a few fans return and the management have also done a good job on getting the fans involved with the club & riders.

ged has commented that the crowds are hovering around the 1000 mark , in that case we're better off where we are

• Like 1

Fair point about MH who was starting with a handicap, but nothing that couldn't have been done before really? Sundays were obviously a no go but we never had a competetive team until the latter half of 2013 and the club appeared to some extent to disengage from the majority of its fans (especially when they named the 2012 team) - they seriously needed a Rathbone onboard. Frost said crowds picked up when the team started to do well, pretty standard logic really, especially in Paterborough.

Edited by Crump99

Thats what was being said a couple of seasons ago about going to the PL but it happened if they could secure mostly friday fixtures get money out of sky in addition to the normal cash for making the numbers up , bring back some favourite riders with Ged heading the management team get Bratters involved , use Ricks generosity who knows

Seemed to me that RF rapidly lost any real interest or ambition for Panthers probably during so called winter of discontent. Even then he had an inner circle of hangers on which was illustrated in the days of fans forums where the rank and file were left waiting only to find the chosen few had been let in early and nabbed pole positions. There was clearly more deep rooted reasons for the departure of Bratters etc which porobably we shall never know.

His then management team were ineffectual ( a euphemism) to say the least. A brief change in fortunes under Ryan Sullivan but I am convinced RF had no intention to run in 2014 that is why riders awards etc we held in the showground after the last meeting,and was it only by chance that Horton was also there. If I recall here again most of us were kept waiting in the cold and rain by security only to see that the inner circle were safely ensconced inside.

why ??? surely we'd be stupid to even contemplate going elite

In its present form I agree, so it's a wait and see really although we know that many decisions will have already been taken anyway. If the EL somehow gets bigger & stronger then you can bet it'll be at the expense of the leagues below. That's why such statements are reasonable based on what we know, it's what we don't know that's the problem.

ged has commented that the crowds are hovering around the 1000 mark , in that case we're better off where we are

I think the crowds would increase if it was Friday nights in the elite..big name riders do draw crowds..although there are that many left in the 'elite'.

Peterborough needs a competitive team to get good crowds for the speedway whether it's EL or PL, that's pretty much been the case for the last couple of decades or more.

Peterborough needs a competitive team to get good crowds for the speedway whether it's EL or PL, that's pretty much been the case for the last couple of decades or more.

or put in a less fluffy way.....

They have to rely on fickle glory hunters! wink