British Speedway Forum
markyb

What Does The Swedish League Have That The Uk Elite Does Not ?

Well said cut down on GP's and forget one night a week speedway not practical for start I am not bothered whether I watch a GP riders or a PL riders as long as there is close racing and of reasonable standard .

Cut down on GP riders and you would cut crowds in half in an instance.

There is a very good reason why crowds in Sweden and Poland are good and better than the EL - and that's because they have the top riders.

Good racing is essential but I'd only make the odd trip to watch racing if the GP boys weren't racing in the UK.

Freddie Lindgren's best engines!! ;)

Not anymore apparently!! :D

OLSEN, Mauger and Briggs didn't have the Polish option

NO but the Polish and Swedish ones certainly are ... did you watch last night's meeting at Kumla?

I saw it, I also saw the naff match last week!......I never saw complaints of racing with olsen, mauger, briggs, quality riders produce quality racing (most of the time), the awful line ups

the elite dish out each week is substandard, bit harsh to blame british tracks, I been lucky enough to

see great racing almost everywhere....except Leicester!!

Edited by ColinMills

I saw it, I also saw the naff match last week!......I never saw complaints of racing with olsen, mauger, briggs, quality riders produce quality racing (most of the time), the awful line upsthe elite dish out each week is substandard, bit harsh to blame british tracks, I been lucky enough tosee great racing almost everywhere....except Leicester!!

The Leicester promotor thinks he has the best track in speedway lol

Don't know what they have got but know what they haven't...

GUESTS!....

Wonder if being a credible professional sport in the eyes of the sports watching public makes a positive difference to the attendance levels?

I Doubt it ...the crowds would be much bigger in the uk if had the same standard of riders. that would be a much bigger factor than having guests ...as had been said many time before when the crowds were massive in the uk when we had guests so it just a big myth .

most of the stadiums in Sweden are owned by the clubs so all the money earned go straight to the club so all profit`s to the club so they can afford to pay better wages and no big rents paid to others

• Like 1

They don't have the North Sea to cross.

Edited by Wolfsbane
  • Like 1

I Doubt it ...the crowds would be much bigger in the uk if had the same standard of riders. that would be a much bigger factor than having guests

And you would be paying something like £20 plus for Admission. But like i said before, you wuill not get all the big boys back here, they have bigger fish to catch elsewhere. And STILL, EL clubs would own there own stadia.

The Vetlanda track didn't produce much great racing, apparently never does .... but just look at their team!!

We must go 2 nights a week ......

Does anyone know admission prices in Sweden or Poland?

Guests, doubling up and double point races have also diluted the product. I know many riders double in Sweden but there are no fixture clashes/

As to the tracks most in Sweden and Poland do seem wider, hence more racing lines.

The Vetlanda track didn't produce much great racing, apparently never does .... but just look at their team!!

We must go 2 nights a week ......

But you still won't get all the big boys back here. They are very happy with there lot riding in Sweden Poland and the GP's. Why would they want to come here and up there travelling for a pittance compared with what they get in the above ?

I Doubt it ...the crowds would be much bigger in the uk if had the same standard of riders. that would be a much bigger factor than having guests ...as had been said many time before when the crowds were massive in the uk when we had guests so it just a big myth .

Crowds were bigger in the 'olden days' and we did have guests, agreed....

However this was, in the main, accepted as a 'necessary evil' and was used almost as a 'last resort' and you simply didnt have the amount of 'select teams' around that we have today.

Nowadays it appears to be part of an almost 'sharp practice' business plan as teams arrange meetings knowing riders will be missing and therefore have the opportunity to cherry pick, in many instances better quality replacements..

Also, in those days no social media existed therefore many fans turned up regardless of the team compilations as they simply had no idea who was or wasnt there till they had paid their cash...

Nowadays this here interwebnet thingy tells you (for example) that Lakeside will this Friday be racing against Belle Vue (allied with Wolves/Coventry and Leicester etc). You have to believe that this info severely impacts the crowds decision to attend especially when other factors such as potential poor weather are thrown into the equation. (Again you can see this info immediately and up to the minute which must influence whether to bother or not)

Modern comms. have opened up the world to everyone and therefore people now question much more what goes on.. This has meant that we nowadays have certain greater expectations and for me 'guest riders' do not fit within a framework for running a professional sport with integrity....

Maybe it doesnt effect Swedens crowds positively having no guests, but I would suggest it wont do them any harm when it comes to the credibility of their League, which can only benefit it in some way....

• Like 1

I have seen three meetings at Vetlanda and all three were great entertainment... admittedly a long time ago.

Tonight's meeting had a sprinkling of good racing... but in the main it was difficult to pass .nothing like the meetings that I saw.

You have to ask yourself the question...... when a rider of the ability of Niels K Iversen struggles to pass other riders where has the track preparation gone wrong ?