British Speedway Forum
markyb

What Does The Swedish League Have That The Uk Elite Does Not ?

Ok, I understand that Poland has the capability to attract the best riders to compete in their leagues, but what is it that Sweden has over the UK elite. I look tonight at the play off in Sweden and the calibre of number 1, 3 & 5's plus some decent reserves too and realise how mugged off the speedway supporting fans of the UK are being treated. A serious issue that needs to be addressed. We got an almost certain "British" world champion again that chooses to ride outside of his "native" land. We got a 2nd in the titlle hunt who chooses to wear his U.S. colours anywhere but the UK, plus an ageing Danish star who lives "down the road" but avoids showing his face at a UK circuit. what is it so wrong with the UK speedway scene ? Money, taxes or earnings potential in general ? What needs to happen to bring them back ?

Would be good to understand the reasons from a decent riders point of view especially.

Edited by markyb
  • Like 1

Bu**ered if I know marky but I do know it's a ****ing shame and probably the death-knell for top-class British speedway.

Ok, I understand that Poland has the capability to attract the best riders to compete in their leagues, but what is it that Sweden has over the UK elite. I look tonight at the play off in Sweden and the calibre of number 1, 3 & 5's plus some decent reserves too and realise how mugged off the speedway supporting fans of the UK are being treated. A serious issue that needs to be addressed. We got an almost certain "British" world champion again that chooses to ride outside of his "native" land. We got a 2nd in the titlle hunt who chooses to wear his U.S. colours anywhere but the UK, plus an ageing Danish star who lives "down the road" but avoids showing his face at a UK circuit. what is it so wrong with the UK speedway scene ? Money, taxes or earnings potential in general ? What needs to happen to bring them back ?

Would be good to understand the reasons from a decent riders point of view especially.

Been abroad for awhile and not reading the BSF, SS, etc. Been done to death this, on the basis of insufficient income and massive sponsorship sponsorship abroad.

BTW The 'ageing' Danish Star hasn't lived in his country for quite awhile, so perhaps you have been out the loop for some time.

• Like 1

No-one earns any money from speedway in the UK. Perhaps they do in Sweden.

The UK is just pocket money or somewhere to test bikes out in a weak league,however the top guys don't need either.

The only way they would comeback is if UK promotors offered them mega deals, big money talks.

When the British champion turns is back on British speedway that to me is more of a concern than the likes of Pedersen,Hancock & Others not wanting to ride here.

if there was one race night im sure theyd be back.....

Lovely idea in principle but won't work in practice I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Top riders don't want to come here because they're not paid enough. They're not paid enough because speedway is not popular enough in the UK. Speedway is not popular enough because big crowds don't go to meetings. Big crowds don't go to meetings because top riders don't come here.

• Like 1

Top riders don't want to come here because they're not paid enough. They're not paid enough because speedway is not popular enough in the UK. Speedway is not popular enough because big crowds don't go to meetings. Big crowds don't go to meetings because top riders don't come here.

its a amateur sport in britain

Teams withdrawing from the play-offs? Or was that only last year?!

its a amateur sport in britain

Then we should be asking ourselves, where did it go wrong, and how do we bring the good times back? because we used to have all the top riders racing over here.

But promotors still want big money from the fans even though the top riders have long gone, speedway is a £10 sport, promotors need to budget for that price as its too expensive now.

• Like 3

That is a massive factor.

year on year its just tinkered with, and constantly watering down the product..we need a radical move, one league one night,

and end doubling up...a main league...whatever you want for the other league/leagues should be secondary to a british

show piece league..cant see british promoters being bold enough for this though...matt ford promoters who go sell the sport would help!!