British Speedway Forum
markyb

What Does The Swedish League Have That The Uk Elite Does Not ?

Ok, I understand that Poland has the capability to attract the best riders to compete in their leagues, but what is it that Sweden has over the UK elite. I look tonight at the play off in Sweden and the calibre of number 1, 3 & 5's plus some decent reserves too and realise how mugged off the speedway supporting fans of the UK are being treated. A serious issue that needs to be addressed. We got an almost certain "British" world champion again that chooses to ride outside of his "native" land. We got a 2nd in the titlle hunt who chooses to wear his U.S. colours anywhere but the UK, plus an ageing Danish star who lives "down the road" but avoids showing his face at a UK circuit. what is it so wrong with the UK speedway scene ? Money, taxes or earnings potential in general ? What needs to happen to bring them back ?

Would be good to understand the reasons from a decent riders point of view especially.

One word 'money'. Whether or not the Swedish League has any more of it, it's paying it...

• Like 1

it's common knowledge that the Poole riders think the track is shocking this year and has been for some time .

Absolute BS. Why would riders publicly and privately thank Gerald Richter for his track prep if it wasn't true?! Admittedly a delivery of some new shale in June helped enormously nut it still has to be laid and prepared well!

Even visiting riders have said its better now than it has been in several seasons - including some of those on the wrong end of a good home win!! :wink::D

Edited by Skidder1

Let's consider the two different (current 2015) economies of Sweden and ourselves:

- Consumer Prices in United Kingdom are 14.32% higher than in Sweden

- Consumer Prices Including Rent in United Kingdom are 21.80% higher than in Sweden

- Rent Prices in United Kingdom are 44.46% higher than in Sweden

- Restaurant Prices in United Kingdom are 16.56% higher than in Sweden

- Groceries Prices in United Kingdom are 11.68% higher than in Sweden

Yes, we've all paid a fiver (maybe more) for a bottle of beer in Gothenburg, etc. but these are the prices for Sweden as a whole.

Take into account also that the AVERAGE hourly working rate is 163 Swedish Krona; that equates to £12.80 per hour. That's an average wage that many people within the UK can only dream of.

So it's clear to see that not only are the Swedes earning a darn sight more, they also have significantly more disposable income.

Added to which, something I've said a few times before, we are paying too much for the product in the UK. A speedway meeting (at Hackney, and to the best of my memory at other British League tracks) in 1982 cost £2.50. The majority of the World's best riders were on display every week; at tracks the length and breadth of this country. Using a historic inflation calculator (from an accedited UK financial website) £2.50 in 1982, and taking into account all aspects of inflation, is worth £8.57 by today's standards. That figure is MORE than double what we are paying today for a watered-down product, with teams containing riders of less ability; and meetings with less heats (no second halves, Golden Helmet, etc.).

Cost is the main reason, in my honest opinion, why people have turned their back on this sport. Either they can't afford it; or don't deem it value for money any more. Many, including myself, have just become jaded with other additional factors - such as guests, R/R's and infrequent meetings. You just find other things to do.

And the truth is if one-time Speedway fans fall into these categories, what hope is there of attracting a sufficient number of new fans?Hardly any, I hate to say. If the Elite League (in particular) was an animal, you'd do the humanitarian thing and just put it out of its misery.

All good stuff - Thankfully, at the moment anyway, we can only dream of Sweden's punitive taxation system. £12.80 per hour is good, but it is disposable income that matters, not pre-tax income. So do the average Swedes have more disposable income to spend on leisure than we do?

this "better tracks" comment that rears its head again? pre grand prix did the best riders ever come up with that argument?

did ole olsen, ivan mauger, barry briggs ever dodge Britain? it may well come down to money, but iwont be convinced about the tracks!

OLSEN, Mauger and Briggs didn't have the Polish option

how has a track got worse?....whats different to wimbourne road as to say 4 years ago?....you suggesting some of the man made

gp circuits are better than our tracks??

NO but the Polish and Swedish ones certainly are ... did you watch last night's meeting at Kumla?

Edited by PHILIPRISING

why hand the national stadium a world cup final if these people on here think our tracks are not up to standard? some wonderful race tracks in Britain,and its an insult to some of our hard working track men....

NO one suggested all tracks but across the board Polish and Swedish tracks are far better

• Like 3

Swedish and Polish tracks are in general better prepared than British tracks.

As a consequence, the entertainment value of the racing is also better.

British tracks are quite variable. Some are prepared well and the entertainment value is just as good as Swedish orPolish racks.

however there are some British tracks that are poorly prepared and entertainment value is low to say the least.

After over 50 years of watching Speedway , I pick and choose my British meetings carefully and refuse to go to some British tracks whilst regularly attending others. Distance no object but I only visit those tracks that are going to give me entertainment.

For me, the continuing dilution of the product, combined with rising costs at the gate have been the main factors in people turning their back on the sport in the UK. There are also plenty of other sports in the UK competing for the leisure pound and speedway needs to be mindful of that.

I don't know what goes on in Sweden, but speedway in the UK suffers from poor local (exception of Poole) and national marketing. From what I can see, the sport does very little to attract a new audience, relying on existing fans to take or leave what is on offer. Unfortunately, many have voted with their feet.

I was in Gorzow for the recent GP and this is a speedway town. Club Shop in on of the major shopping malls, a sports bar on the banks of the river crammed full of speedway memorabilia, etc. I can't realistically see this happening at the Trafford Centre or in city centre Manchester, but the sport has to broaden its appeal. Maybe the impetus of the new stadium will do it for us at Belle Vue, but what about the other tracks?

What I do know is that we could only dream of a Heat Leader trio of Tai, Emil and Bartek. In reality, any team would be happy with just one of these. But if one aspires to mediocrity, one will usually achieve it.

• Like 4

For me, the continuing dilution of the product, combined with rising costs at the gate have been the main factors in people turning their back on the sport in the UK. There are also plenty of other sports in the UK competing for the leisure pound and speedway needs to be mindful of that.

I don't know what goes on in Sweden, but speedway in the UK suffers from poor local (exception of Poole) and national marketing. From what I can see, the sport does very little to attract a new audience, relying on existing fans to take or leave what is on offer. Unfortunately, many have voted with their feet.

I was in Gorzow for the recent GP and this is a speedway town. Club Shop in on of the major shopping malls, a sports bar on the banks of the river crammed full of speedway memorabilia, etc. I can't realistically see this happening at the Trafford Centre or in city centre Manchester, but the sport has to broaden its appeal. Maybe the impetus of the new stadium will do it for us at Belle Vue, but what about the other tracks?

What I do know is that we could only dream of a Heat Leader trio of Tai, Emil and Bartek. In reality, any team would be happy with just one of these. But if one aspires to mediocrity, one will usually achieve it.

WELL put sir ...

Don't know what they have got but know what they haven't...

GUESTS!....

Wonder if being a credible professional sport in the eyes of the sports watching public makes a positive difference to the attendance levels?

• Like 4

Don't know what they have got but know what they haven't...

GUESTS!....

Wonder if being a credible professional sport in the eyes of the sports watching public makes a positive difference to the attendance levels?

Or the Mickey Mouse golden double rule!!

And to many GP's. Why should the top boys come to the UK for a pittance compared to what they can earn in Poland Sweden and on the GP circuit. I said years ago, the GP 's will be the killing of British speedway.

Well said cut down on GP's and forget one night a week speedway not practical for start I am not bothered whether I watch a GP riders or a PL riders as long as there is close racing and of reasonable standard .

Just one race night a week and just bring back the 45 point limit but got to have atleast one British rider at reserve

All that you need to add to that is a Roman Abramovich at each track to pay for it. I do wonder if some people's understanding of finance is based on playing Monopoly........

• Like 1