British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

Cant believe they have done that.

I find it difficult to believe that Garrity coudnt be convinced to do 4 meetings at reserve, this could have meant either Garrity or a second string is always at reserve, meaning we have a strong reserve at all times.

Instead we have Garrity in the main team, an unknown Pole and 2 reserves, our reserves have an EL average of 7 points, compare that to the "real averages" attained by Newman and Ellis in the last year, its nearly double.

• Like 1

I will wait until I see him ride and also see the make up of the other teams but bit worried based on the comments from people who have watched him.

With one of the weakest reserve pairings in the league so far, I think we needed somebody who could step up as a heat leader. This does feel like 4 reserves. Poole are said to have also been interested.

Monday November 23, 2015

COVENTRY have completed their 2016 line-up with the signing of rising Polish talent Kacper Woryna.

The 19-year-old was a team-mate of Buildbase Bees skipper Chris Harris at Rybnik last season, and will now compete in British Speedway for the first time.

Woryna has a strong family history in the sport as his grandfather Antoni finished third in the World Final in both 1966 and 1970, and also spent a two-year spell with Poole in the mid-seventies.

Kacper himself has a good pedigree from his rise up the junior ranks in Poland, having become 80cc national Champion back in 2011 prior to signing for Rybnik.

He made his debut for the club in 2013 and his achievements last season included victory in the individual Silver Helmet Final at Pila in late-August.

Woryna has received warm praise from both Harris and fellow signing Krzysztof Kasprzak as Bees have considered their options for the final team place, which had to be a rider who would not also be racing in the Premier League, and who is not on the Elite Leagues heat-leader list.

Promoter Mick Horton said: We always knew the last spot couldnt be a doubling-up rider, and it had to be someone who will be classed as a second-string.

Chris had recommended Kacper at the time when we were doing his contract, although at the time he didnt know whether Kacper would be going to Poole as they were also interested. But Chris contacted him for us, and he was really keen to come over.

Then when I did the deal with KK and he was asking me about the team, I asked him what he thought about Kacper and his words were very good boy! and then he sent me a message with a thumbs-up.

I wondered whether he would get around the small tracks but Bomber thinks that wont be a problem - the Polish youngsters now do so much training on small tracks and also their English is superb. Kacper speaks perfect English.

Having weighed it all up, and looking at who else we could bring in, I decided we would go for it. Rybnik are taking him up to the top league so hes got something about him, and its exciting for the club to bring in a new youngster.

Weve worked hard to get our deals done and I think weve done well. Im very confident we have a team that can challenge strongly for the play-offs.

BUILDBASE BEES 2016: Chris Harris ©, Krzysztof Kasprzak, Danny King, Jason Garrity, Kacper Woryna, Josh Bates, James Sarjeant.

Edited by mdmc82

From 24 hours ago feeling happy and confident to suddenly being really dejected and wondering where points are going to come from. To do well you tend to need a good reserve of a 4th heat leader. What do Coventry have? A 4th reserve!

From what I saw of him @ Lublin, I wouldn't have expected him to get a sniff of an EL place.

Coventry have certainly had an up and down team building so far. It looked dodgy to begin with, then it looked quite strong, now it looks like very average. Much will depend on Garrity perfoming well in the top 5.

As i see it the team does not seem that bad, wait until everyone else has announced their teams, they have Bomber who is a GP rider and one of the best EL riders in the last 10 years, KK yes had a bad season this year but he is a class act and i can't believe people think any different, Garrity is probably one of GB best rising stars and will excel this year I'm sure. Sarj yes does jump a few starts but he has shown he can do it in the EL and Josh in the last 2 years has come on leaps and has won both U19 and U21 title in the last 2 years, King is a solid 3rd heat leader and how many teams will have a 3rd heat leader as good. granted the new lad is a gamble but is it a gamble worth taking based on what other teams are going to put out, just my opinion

From 24 hours ago feeling happy and confident to suddenly being really dejected and wondering where points are going to come from. To do well you tend to need a good reserve of a 4th heat leader. What do Coventry have? A 4th reserve!

When you could have had a rider like Watt or North!! Surely this is a joke, mid season changes are a certainty.

• Like 2

Oh dear, learnt nothing from Jamrog last season then. Still, should give Sarj the chance to step up into the main body of the team.

Good to know I can look forward to supporting another nailed on wooden spoon winning team once the Ice Hockey season is over.

* Just to add, even Troy Batchelor would have been a better signing. Nothing more to say than that really.

Edited by JamieE
  • Like 2

If Chris Harris thinks highly of the lad who was in his ream in Poland last season, doesn't his recommendation count for something?

not really
  • Like 2