British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

Again, you're missing the point that it does work in ice hockey. Why wouldn't it work in speedway?

Instead of coming out with posts such as the one I've quoted, tell me why something that works in another bit-part sport won't work in speedway. Is it the fickle fans or the unexciting product on show?

Because people don't want to pay £20.00 for meaningless challenge matches anymore. A fancy name doesn't fool anyone

It is why, without play offs, half of the Elite League matches would fall into the same category and be played out in deserted stadiums.

Because people don't want to pay £20.00 for meaningless challenge matches anymore. A fancy name doesn't fool anyone

It is why, without play offs, half of the Elite League matches would fall into the same category and be played out in deserted stadiums.

So it's the fickle fans then.

The example you provide for play-offs in a comparable sport shows the League title does not have to be at stake for play-offs to be successful and well attended.

Why are they in the PL? Surely you remember the promotion/relegation farce asked for by Sky. That's why they came in.

As has already pointed out your wrong as ls has pointed out ..and the fact is they are still here thou they are not shown by sky

ouch.....look on barb top 30 through google....im not commenting on 2 people here, bwitcher (cos he gets too uptight) or rob72 (cos hes beyond help)....At no point have I said anything about skys financial success..i just pointed out, 89,000 ( not even 1 million) is good viewing figs....yes,its good for the amount of subscribed viewers, but on the whole, I just meant,for how much they have spent on that sport, I would want and expect, more than 89,000 viewers...that's all, I think "normal" post people can debate,but others just not worth the effort of debate!!

It is difficult to debate with someone who really doesn't have the slightest notion of what they are talking about.

This all kicked off when you 'challenged' my statement that Sky were a successful business. You way of doing that was to ignore the £1 billion + profits and to pick out the viewing figures of 1 unnamed football match and on the back of that declare they aren't a successful business.

The figure you have quoted is only a rough guide as it is and of course does not include the thousands up and down the country who watch games in their local pubs.

Nor do you take into account the advertising revenue that Sky generate from showing live Premier League football.

Sky's financial figures speak for themselves, they are a mega successful company... it's not a case for debate!

• Like 1

So it's the fickle fans then.

Nothing to do with being fickle. Fans want meaningful matches that mean something to the club and the riders.

The current set up provides that in abundance, right from mid season league matches that are now worth winning right through to the packed houses the Grand Finals bring.

To be honest though, no disrespect to Ian or Sidney etc, presented properly speedway would hold no interest for them.

If you go back to the days of BDO darts and a world final played out in front of a few hundred pensioners doing their knitting and zero else for the rest of the year. When Barry Hearn started the PDC he wasn't aiming to tailor the product for the sports existing thermos and a blanket brigade, he knew they would be horrified at what he wanted to do with the sport, he was looking for a brand new audience, one who would have no interest in darts as it was but would embrace with a passion what he wanted to do.

There are still a few of those old folk bemoaning the way the sport has gone and how it was all better in the old days, just like on here with every little change brought in to bring speedway into the 21st century

• Like 2

Nothing to do with being fickle. Fans want meaningful matches that mean something to the club and the riders.

The current set up provides that in abundance, right from mid season league matches that are now worth winning right through to the packed houses the Grand Finals bring.

To be honest though, no disrespect to Ian or Sidney etc, presented properly speedway would hold no interest for them.

If you go back to the days of BDO darts and a world final played out in front of a few hundred pensioners doing their knitting and zero else for the rest of the year. When Barry Hearn started the PDC he wasn't aiming to tailor the product for the sports existing thermos and a blanket brigade, he knew they would be horrified at what he wanted to do with the sport, he was looking for a brand new audience, one who would have no interest in darts as it was but would embrace with a passion what he wanted to do.

There are still a few of those old folk bemoaning the way the sport has gone and how it was all better in the old days, just like on here with every little change brought in to bring speedway into the 21st century

My point is that for all the 'changes' that have been brought in over the years Speedway has not moved forwards. Indeed if you take attendances as your benchmark then the Sport has gone backwards. I wonder why?

Could it have anything to do with said changes?

My contention is that, that is the case.

My point is that for all the 'changes' that have been brought in over the years Speedway has not moved forwards. Indeed if you take attendances as your benchmark then the Sport has gone backwards. I wonder why?

Speedway hasn't gone forward because quite simply it hasn't changed enough.

It still markets/presents itself in the same fashion as it did 30 even 50 years ago.

• Like 3

Speedway hasn't changed nearly enough, that's the problem.

That's why over 50% of crowds are old fuddy-duddies.

All the best

Rob

• Like 4

Again, you're missing the point that it does work in ice hockey. Why wouldn't it work in speedway?

Instead of coming out with posts such as the one I've quoted, tell me why something that works in another bit-part sport won't work in speedway. Is it the fickle fans or the unexciting product on show?

There is no comparison between the two.

The Ice Hockey play-offs are a big event, all staged over one weekend. Basically it's their version of Cardiff.

twk.....its easy to check out viewing figures through google...under barb top 30......you will see 1974 dads army gets 1.5 million and beats a 2015 prem footy fixture!!...if these people (who gets touchy very easily) thinks sky is a success, so be it..its just an opinion

Genuine LOL

twk.....its easy to check out viewing figures through google...under barb top 30......you will see 1974 dads army gets 1.5 million and beats a 2015 prem footy fixture!!...if these people (who gets touchy very easily) thinks sky is a success, so be it..its just an opinion

Staggering analysis there!

So Dad's Army with a potential audience of around 60 million gets 1.5 million.

Premiership Football with a potential audience of around 5 million gets 890,000...

Dad's Army 2.5% , Football around 18%.

Advertising revenue for Dad's Army.. 0

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Staggering analysis there!

So Dad's Army with a potential audience of around 60 million gets 1.5 million.

Premiership Football with a potential audience of around 5 million gets 890,000...

Dad's Army 2.5% , Football around 18%.

Advertising revenue for Dad's Army.. 0

You are banging your head against a wall mate, they simply have no grasp of it at all

There's the BBC reporting an 18% increase in annual operating profit for Sky to £1.4 billion.

I don't think anyone can seriously suggest that Sky isn't a successful company, but operating profit does not necessarily mean actual profit. For example, I think it excludes investment in capital equipment and servicing loan payments which is likely to be very high for a satellite company.

I think it's well known that Sky has had to tighten its belt in the last few years, and I think has a less certain future ahead. It operates around somewhat outmoded distribution concepts and has an inflexible business model, and will increasingly face competition from cheaper to provision Internet broadcasting.

Sky's main strength is the relative exclusivity of its context in specific geographic markets - for example if you wanted to watch live test matches you had to pay for Sky. That's changing though, and quite aside from all the pirate streams you watch test matches on, I think the legality of geographical rights is going to be challenged.

It's a completely different era. In 1974 there were just three television channels (far less the Internet), none of which broadcasted 24 hours per day and frequently repeated content when they were broadcasting. There was no such thing as live league football, and it was probably only the FA Cup Final and the odd international that were ever shown live in those days.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

It's a completely different era. In 1974 there were just three television channels (far less the Internet), none of which broadcasted 24 hours per day and frequently repeated content when they were broadcasting. There was no such thing as live league football, and it was probably only the FA Cup Final and the odd international that were ever shown live in those days.

He is talking about a "repeat" from 1974........think that counts as a Whoosh!!!!! :rofl:

• Like 2

I don't disagree with any of that Humphrey, just trying to keep it simple so it doesn't go over certain posters heads.... it didn't work though!

You've misunderstood Colin's Dads Army reference though, he wasn't referring to the viewing figures for Dads Army in 1974, he is referring to a recent rerun being shown on BBC2 and comparing the viewing figures of that to a subscription based satellite service.