British Speedway Forum

wow well even for you that's a staggering response! Check out the top riders on the world and a handful ride over here. Last years top 3 didn't! I'm a West Ham fan so if France play England guess I should be cheering on Payet because he plays for me team??? Not a chance! I'm English but I guess only in Poole that the club comes before country

No I didn't say anything about international teams. I spoke about individual riders. I would support team GB over Australia without question. And as for stating only in Poole club before country, thats the biggest load of twaddle you have ever written. No, I take that back you have written far worse...

Why on earth would I support a ride who can't be assed to ride in his own domestic league? Not a chance. And its clear I am not e only one thinking that. He cant be arsed to ride EL, I can't be arsed to support him. Its great he does some charity work. Well done to him.

I'm a human being and I support all human beings riding speedway. Nationality is irrelevant although for me in individual speedway events.

I'll always be cheering Team GB in international team events though.

Not sure why other commentators on here feel the need to judge people or who they want to cheer and support.

Absolutely. I was a massive fan of Loram and when he won his WC I was at every GP. It was great. After Lorams time had finished I supported Trick and again it was fantastic going around the GPs watching him in action.

Today I cheer on Holder, and enjoy the racing whoever wins. I don't think, Tai's in this race I want him to lose. If he wins great, but no more than that, which is an absolute shame because the weight of the nation isn't behind him like it should be. He has let British Speedway down big time.

Yep i agree that you can get behind who you want. But in a run off for any title between a Brit and a Poole rider then there is no way the club rider should be supported.

World Under 21 final Lambert v Kurtz in a run off. Any Poole fan who supports Kurtz in that race would amaze me.

Nothing wrong in Poole fans wanting Holder to be world champ but not at the expanse of a Brit

I think this has been spoken about before ...a load of speedway fans will the support there club rider over a brit it's not just a poole thing it's common place ...nearly all Swindon fans would pick Leigh Adams over any brit .

Edited by orion
  • Like 5

No I didn't say anything about international teams. I spoke about individual riders. I would support team GB over Australia without question. And as for stating only in Poole club before country, thats the biggest load of twaddle you have ever written. No, I take that back you have written far worse...

Why on earth would I support a ride who can't be assed to ride in his own domestic league? Not a chance. And its clear I am not e only one thinking that. He cant be arsed to ride EL, I can't be arsed to support him. Its great he does some charity work. Well done to him.

Absolutely. I was a massive fan of Loram and when he won his WC I was at every GP. It was great. After Lorams time had finished I supported Trick and again it was fantastic going around the GPs watching him in action.

Today I cheer on Holder, and enjoy the racing whoever wins. I don't think, Tai's in this race I want him to lose. If he wins great, but no more than that, which is an absolute shame because the weight of the nation isn't behind him like it should be. He has let British Speedway down big time.

Don't forget Woffinden can't even be arsed to ride in his own National Championship.......because that one meeting might burn him out for the rest of the Polish,Swedish and GP season...!!!!!!! Edited by scottyfan

Why? I never supported Rickardsson and Gollob over Louis and Loram ever!!

If Rickardsson and Gollob werent up against a Brit then yes i cheered them on.

Surely Wolves fans would rather Tai win a final rather than Freddie? If Tai wasnt in the final no issue with supporting Freddie

I support the Brits in the World Cup (as they are racing for their nationality ) whilst individually they are racing for themselves (club OR nationality then both apply).

Lots of things Tai has done I disagree with but accept an understand his reasoning so always support him individually however if both were in a GP final I'd pick Freddie over Tai.

Why?

Fred has besides one season ridden a vast majority of his career at Wolves and no other British club. Tai chose to ride half the amount of seasons with Wolves and then ditch the EL and Wolves when he had had enough.

Freddie therefore is more deserving of my support individually if I had to choose one which of course I don't.

With Freddie likely to be standing down in the GP's now my support with revert back to Tai as a second best Wolves legend.

I will Bomber to do well in any GP because he is a brit but he gets my full support in the World Cup.

• Like 3

Daft debate this one. I nearly cried when Havvy won the world title in 92 as I hated him and Bradford.

I wanted Tommy Knudsen to win it as he had been a Coventry rider for 14 seasons and he was my idol!

People who take a holier than thou stance on this are usually people who support teams that have the Brits in them, but claim that they'd still support the British rider if they were riding for a rival team. Yeah right.

When Loram won it I wanted Hamill to win it as Hamill was a Bee, and I was going off Poole already at that point!

Edited by CB252
  • Like 2

When Loram won it I wanted Hamill to win it as Hamill was a Bee, and I was going off Poole already at that point!

When Mark won the title there wasn't a Poole nor British speedway fan who wasn't pleased for him. He rode so well for us that year he fully deserved it to win his World title

• Like 1

When Mark won the title there wasn't a Poole nor British speedway fan who wasn't pleased for him. He rode so well for us that year he fully deserved it to win his World title

I wanted Hamill to win it. I didn't lose sleep over it though so no need for the usual angry response.

Edited by CB252

I would have supported the morans over say Carter in a world final, and they didn't even ride (at that time) for my favorite team! You can't compare speedway with football, as speedway is both a team and individual event.

As a dual narionality fan, in the 80s I would always cheer Larry Ross first, then mort/smith/pc, then the morans, then typically other aces riders, then other kiwis and brits.

Today in the gp i support tai, then zagar and bomber. If emil was in the series I'd support him ahead of all bar tai.

Plenty of brits who would support someone other than Hamilton in grand prix?

Surely it's all personal preference,can't believe gavan is getting so wound up on this.

I would have supported the morans over say Carter in a world final, and they didn't even ride (at that time) for my favorite team! You can't compare speedway with football, as speedway is both a team and individual event.

As a dual narionality fan, in the 80s I would always cheer Larry Ross first, then mort/smith/pc, then the morans, then typically other aces riders, then other kiwis and brits.

Today in the gp i support tai, then zagar and bomber. If emil was in the series I'd support him ahead of all bar tai.

Plenty of brits who would support someone other than Hamilton in grand prix?

Surely it's all personal preference,can't believe gavan is getting so wound up on this.

Personal preference is a big thing in this, Dimi (Berge) won last night. I've know him since the day he was born, ( at the same hospital as Adam funnily enough), I know his parents, his grandparents, aunts uncles etc, he and Adam rode grass track in France together for three seasons I was over the moon for him to be through to the finals. I've met Lambert once and Clegg twice, I don't think i've spoken to either of them other than a hello, Why should I prefer them to Dimitri just because they're English ?

• Like 8

Blimey, offering support for a Poole rider on a Poole thread and suddenly I'm anti-British??!!!!

Only to be expected on the BSF I guess??!

Incidentally congratulations to Max Fricke who also qualified! I shall enjoy watching him race at Poole on Monday too!! ;-)

• Like 1

Team GB all the way for me above all others.

But i must admit i have never supported a rider more than i have Jason Crump.Yep even over any Brit in an individual meeting i just loved his skill his riding style his will to win and i never saw him give less than 100% in any race i saw him ride in .Speedways a funny sport for whatever reason you just take to a rider and his nationality in individual meetings just does not really matter.

At the moment my man is Cookie i just love to watch him ride not a patch on Jason(still improving though)and he just happens to be a Brit but for some reason i just love to watch the guy race.

I have always supported the brits and the Poole riders at Cardiff although i must admit my preference depends who i have backed. Harris won me a few hundred when he won so doubley good when he won. Holder has won me quite a bit too so it does matter more if you have money on it.

In the GPs I support Doyle and Kildemand, both Swindon, in the same way I used to support Leigh Adams over any Brit. But I also want Woofie to do well and will support him if the other two are not in the final. Ideal GP result Doyle, Kildemand, Woffie in any sequence in any GP.

The World Cup is a bit more difficult because Swindon probably has a couple of riders in the Aus team. I support both Aus and England.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

I'm a big advocate of backing the Brits in the individuals & International meetings.

Except Chris Harris, he now just does my head in. Always somebody else's fault for his garbage failings.

• Like 2