British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BWitcher

Matt Ford - One Of The Greats?

Following yet another Elite League title for Poole where does this place Matt Ford in terms of the great promoters in speedway history?

For the purposes of this thread I am referring to the good brought to the promoters club, not the sport as a whole as that is another conversation altogether.

As much as I dislike some of the stunts that Ford has pulled over the years nobody can argue against his level of success. Indeed you could put forward the argument that he has simply taken advantage of the sports governing bodies to push/bend/manipulate rules to his advantage and that it is his job to eek out as big an advantage for his team as he can.

When interviewed on TV he appears intelligent, well dressed and comes across as being ultra professional.. something which is not always the case with speedway promoters.

The Poole club is extremely well run, there rarely appears to be issues with riders not wanting to race for them. There's never a peep about riders not being paid on time and the whole club has a passionate 'family' atmosphere. As much as he has been ridiculed Middlo is very much part of that too.

Year after year he puts together a team that challenges right at the top of the table... and of course isn't frightened to make changes where necessary. The up and down nature of most other teams shows that this is no easy task.

So where do folks rank him?

I'd list him as the No 1 promoter FOR HIS CLUB since I started going to speedway in 1984.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

You can't deny what he has done and achieved for Poole. He's got a magnificent record.

If there were more promoters like Matt Ford there would be all out anarchy.

Please concentrate on his achievements for Poole which are immense, it is a complete fallacy that he has been good for the sport as a whole, there is tonnes of evidence to say otherwise.

• Like 2

Poole have certainly shown an understanding of the market by basically getting first dibs on talent before they hit these shores. They’ve also managed to pick up riders on bargain averages who typically over perform at Poole….all of which makes it all the more disappointing that they seem to do all they can to gain an advantage….if it hadn’t been for that Poole would get a lot more appreciation than they do.

• Like 1

Matt is very capable modern day promoter who has built up a business model that year on year is successful both on the track and i imagine off it, to be a great though would mean he standing among the likes of Johnnie Hoskins, i think with respect he has some way to go to match that and i am not implying anything to do with the way Poole are seen by other fans, the club are fortunate to be in a area where there is not an awful lot of things competing for peoples money though.

But you cannot take away the fact there is probably quite a gap in total club value between Poole and next solvent club whoever that maybe.

And I bet you a fourth straight league title this thread turns into a sick bitching contest.

• Like 1

I disagree entirely. If more promoters were like Matt Ford there wouldn't be anarchy at all, just a more competitive league with less whinging.

History has already proven you to be wrong.

An interesting question and not one i could answer as I generally don't think about who was running the clubs when they were doing well.

The promoters don't really get much of the glory, that is reserved for the riders.

Edited by HenryW

Wish we had him at Wolves.It.s just the winning that drives him on,(we havent had much of that lately).

Not sure about that jacket though.

He's been seen in worse!! ;):D

Charles Ochiltree must rank as the number one of all time brilliant promoter

Ronnie Greene's record of 7 league titles, 8 national trophys and 4 knock out cups as promoter of Wimbledon, must put him up there with the all time greats.
  • Like 1

Wish he could pass on some of that winning mentality to CVS.

Not sure about that jacket though.