British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BWitcher

Matt Ford - One Of The Greats?

The man seems to know what it takes to run a speedway team could someone tell me how much they get for winning the league ? and off set this against the costs incurred in doing so or is just a matter of prestige .

Guest wolfhound

I'm with BWitcher on this one. Matt Ford IS the greatest promoter of the modern day!

Now you can argue about Ford's tactics when it comes to team building, employing riders on false averages or whatever BUT he is Poole through and through and that is what matters when it comes to his team.

I have read a comment that Ford is bad for speedway. Well maybe that's true but he is damn good for Poole and he is Poole's promoter so my opinion is... if many promoters were as dedicated and enthusiastic as Ford then their teams would be challenging for trophies instead of just existing and being fodder for Poole!

Poole it must be said have little competition when it comes to sport in their area. Yes they now have AFC Bournemouth in the Premier League as a competitor but little else and which means there is pressure on Poole to be successful and Ford has to be commended for achieving just that!

To many Matt Ford - and I don't personally know the man - may seem and probably is somewhat of a showman, a manipulator and as many often say, is a bender of the rules BUT the speedway authorities have the powers to clamp down on such tactics but choose to do nothing and if they let that sort of thing go then Ford is hardly to blame for taking advantage. That other promoters don't copy him is their problem. Perhaps if they did their teams would also be successful or of course, the authorities would finally do their job and run the sport in the way it should be run and not like a fairground sideshow!

So to end, my congratulations to Matt Ford and his Poole team on yet another successful season.

Now if only my team Wolves, their promoter, team manager and riders would find the same enthusiasm and will to be successful instead of just going through the motions to put it politely then maybe Poole would have a fight on their hands but seeing how messrs CVS and PA operate these days knowing that having a speedway team at all is good enough to pacify most supporters, I won't be holding my breath! No doubt another uninspiring, lack lustre and trophyless season will be in prospect for 2016 but as Wolves fans, we are used to it now, it has become our destiny!

Edited by wolfhound

I didn't think him so great when I was down for a Lynn match which was holed off, I stood watching one of the women counting her takings for ages while we were asking to have our entrance money back. Matt's mate, Giles, told us we couldn't have the money back for some vague reason, unfair and ridiculous in the circumstances, it was totally the promoters fault why the meeting wasn't on and they should have treated us right!

So I had to send a stamped, addressed envelope to them with my ticket to get MY MONEY back!

If that is great promotion then I eat my hat!

I didn't think him so great when I was down for a Lynn match which was holed off, I stood watching one of the women counting her takings for ages while we were asking to have our entrance money back. Matt's mate, Giles, told us we couldn't have the money back for some vague reason, unfair and ridiculous in the circumstances, it was totally the promoters fault why the meeting wasn't on and they should have treated us right!

So I had to send a stamped, addressed envelope to them with my ticket to get MY MONEY back!

If that is great promotion then I eat my hat!

Tbh they did give money back on the night once, think it was for a KOC meeting. But it was absolutely chaotic took nearly on hour and I wasn't even half way back in the queue!

I think a lot of people just queued to get money back even though they probably could go to the replay of the meeting, it's probably why they haven't done it since.

Edited by lisa-colette

I think it will be 10 to 15 years after he's gone before we will fully appreciate Fords "achievements"..

Ford is very fortunate to have Poole, with it's location and captive audience, would love to see him run Berwick or Redcar and see how he got on.

• Like 1

Tbh they did give money back on the night once, think it was for a KOC meeting. But it was absolutely chaotic took nearly on hour and I wasn't even half way back in the queue!

I think a lot of people just queued to get money back even though they probably could go to the replay of the meeting, it's probably why they haven't done it since.

There were only Lynn fans wanting their money back on the night, the worst thing was the woman counting the money in front of us, all they had to do was take our tickets and give us the money, and the fact that it was their incompetence why the hole was there in the track with nothing to remedy it with, joke!

Ford is very fortunate to have Poole, with it's location and captive audience, would love to see him run Berwick or Redcar and see how he got on.

I think that is excacrly the point.

He is undoubtedly the most successful. I don't think you can apply an objective test to "great". He has. a number of built in advantages at Poole, and of course he makes the best of them, which is fair enough. I don't think you can compare him on a like for like basis with promoters who managed to keep their clubs afloat financially in difficult circumstances with stadiums in remote locations with poor facilities.

If for example , you were to put Rick Frost as main promoter at Poole and Ford as promoter ar Peterborough would we see Boro winning the EL play offs in front of healthy crowds and Poole dropping to PL with diminishing support ? I doubt it

Nor coukd you equate what Ford has done at Poole with what David Gordon has done at Belle Vue.

All you can say is Ford knows his job and does it well, as his championship record

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

What advantages does he have at Poole?

Poole have dropped to PL under previous promotions. They never had more success or larger crowds than, say, Swindon under previous promotions.

I think you have to give credit where it is due.

As for the money back thing, it's always a frustation but it's standard practice in speedway.

• Like 1

Yep agreed. Average crowd at Poole was 800 before he came and now it's 2000. Maybe a bit higher in the Summer.

My opinion?

Biggest cheat I've ever known in this sport - which to my mind, overshadows any of his success.

• Like 2

What advantages does he have at Poole?

Poole have dropped to PL under previous promotions. They never had more success or larger crowds than, say, Swindon under previous promotions.

I think you have to give credit where it is due.

As for the money back thing, it's always a frustation but it's standard practice in speedway.

Which shows he is great compared to previous Poole promoters. Among the advantages he has are an accessible town centre stadium with decent facilities ( at least as Speedwáy stadiums go) and a relatively modest rent, thus he has something to offer sponsors. That doesn't mean it's handed to him on a plate. Of course he has to work at it, but the stadium and the facilities give him a head start over a lot of clubs..

• Like 1

A 'relatively modest rent'?? But no income from any of the stadium facilities!

The only income is from sponsorship, advertising, gate receipts and programme sales.

The 'captive audience' is an interesting one - fans and sponsors come from far and wide, not just Dorset, but Somerset,Hampshire, Berkshire (Rick Frost!!) and beyond.

Fans and sponsors want a successful team with high-profile riders - be they local or from further afield.

Its a real shame that many positive ideas for the long-term benefit of the sport at the top level in the UK, are discarded at the AGM because 'the weaker clubs are frightened'. Rules and regs are always made to suit the weaker teams.

A 'relatively modest rent'?? But no income from any of the stadium facilities!

The only income is from sponsorship, advertising, gate receipts and programme sales.

The 'captive audience' is an interesting one - fans and sponsors come from far and wide, not just Dorset, but Somerset,Hampshire, Berkshire (Rick Frost!!) and beyond.

Fans and sponsors want a successful team with high-profile riders - be they local or from further afield.

Its a real shame that many positive ideas for the long-term benefit of the sport at the top level in the UK, are discarded at the AGM because 'the weaker clubs are frightened'. Rules and regs are always made to suit the weaker teams.

If there was a ton of money in the sport the "weaker" teams could be shored up to keep them going throughout the year, perhaps that's what Poole etc need to do if they want to employ stronger teams maybe, would they agree to that, with no ties or conditions?

Poole and by association Matt Ford are indeed the benchmark by dint of being league champions for the past three years. competition is healthy and the other clubs should have ambitions to not only emulate but topple the Pirates from their lofty perch. However as I see it, many of the other promoters are occupied with surviving rather than growing and consistently fail to grasp the competitive concept that, the better/appealing you make your product the more of it you will sell.

There is no doubt that Matt Ford has made his product appealing hence the success achieved, but he would benefit even more if other clubs adopted likewise approaches and all promoters worked together to make speedway more appealing across the UK starting with a "we" attitude rather than an "I" attitude. To draw a comparison, A car dealer is more than happy if he has no competition, the market is his, but any sporting club needs good competition to make their product appealing - the better the competition the better the product i.e. Poole v no body = no meeting. Poole v great competition = great meeting.

Ford is the best promoter of the modern generation, I suspect David Helmsley at Leicester is equally ambitious and given time will be playing his part in positively developing UK speedway. I hope Ford & Helmsley can attract/influence others to work together in a like minded fashion.

ford doesnt want strong competition he needs poole to win every home match to keep the fans happy

cuz he knows the fans are fickle - start loseing and the fans start to dwindle away ......

• Like 1