British Speedway Forum
dump that clutch

Swindon 2016 - A New Era Starts...we Thought..

Cheap to tickets to local residents could be seen in a number of lights.....

1) trying to get locals on side and in stadium

2) Bribing locals to stop them complaining

3) Looked at by the hard core supporters with disdain, as regular supporters don't get cheap tickets

Well Newbury Racecourse seems to be doing ok.

Personally, I can't believe that supporters are so disdainful about getting local residents onside.

Edited by grachan

Well Newbury Racecourse seems to be doing ok.

Personally, I can't believe that supporters are so disdainful about getting local residents onside.

Wasnt one of the issues Mildenhall had/has, that "we were here first, you knew we were here when you bought your house!" cuts no ice legally when it comes to the EHO carrying out its 'noise pollution' duties?

The more the residents are kept onside the better..

I have even seen new golf courses giving free membership to those with houses adjacent to keep them 'sweet'...

Makes total sense...

• Like 4

Swindon will have their new track.

What is disappointing is the poor communication over the last year from the promoters towards it's fans.

Swindon will have their new track.

What is disappointing is the poor communication over the last year from the promoters towards it's fans.

I don't think it's poor at all. They can only communicate what they know, and have always updated whenever there are any actual real developments.

Plus Rosco is very available and open on Facebook and is a member of the Swindon Speedway group on there.

I'm not really sure what people expect from them when developments are pretty much out of their hands.

I always wonder how this works.... it's definately much better to have Speedway in town, as if a car's needed you lose fans. Ashfield is right next to an estate but doesn't seem to be an issue. IMO if it's finished by half ten I'd like to have a speedway track nearby. It's the football crowd that used to annoy me at my last place as they were steaming and or parked their car in your drive!

I don't think it's poor at all. They can only communicate what they know, and have always updated whenever there are any actual real developments.

Plus Rosco is very available and open on Facebook and is a member of the Swindon Speedway group on there.

I'm not really sure what people expect from them when developments are pretty much out of their hands.

I think most people have found it very poor how they have gone about the press statements the silly false deadlines and the con of a farewell meeting ....I think fans expect honestly and the club to be realistic . Lets be honest they have also been very naïve with there dealings with gaming international .

• Like 2

Don't understand all the fuss about the farewell meeting to be honest. I think people need to lighten up.

I always wonder how this works.... it's definately much better to have Speedway in town, as if a car's needed you lose fans. Ashfield is right next to an estate but doesn't seem to be an issue. IMO if it's finished by half ten I'd like to have a speedway track nearby. It's the football crowd that used to annoy me at my last place as they were steaming and or parked their car in your drive!

With respect, Ashfield is in Possilpark - hardly the most salubrious part of Glasgow. I know I wouldn't want to live there!

Don't understand all the fuss about the farewell meeting to be honest. I think people need to lighten up.

I understand the fuss ...if your naïve then your unlikely to understand I guess .

• Like 3

I understand the fuss ...if your naïve then your unlikely to understand I guess .

Naive? Or just not so anal?

I think most people have found it very poor how they have gone about the press statements the silly false deadlines and the con of a farewell meeting ....I think fans expect honestly and the club to be realistic . Lets be honest they have also been very naïve with there dealings with gaming international .

Naive in their dealings with Gaming International? I think they've actually done a bit of a job on them by keeping pressure very much on rather than allowing it to go quiet

• Like 2

Naive in their dealings with Gaming International? I think they've actually done a bit of a job on them by keeping pressure very much on rather than allowing it to go quiet

Of course they have been .thou Gaming international have a zero % of keeping there promises and keeping to deadlines Swindon have lap it up and fed it as gospel to the fans as well having photo's taking with Clark etc ..thou everyone in speedway looks as them as scum on what they has done to speedway clubs in the past .

Edited by orion

I'm on the racecourse estate, off Westwood Road. I've never actually taken up one of the offers, but it does make you feel respected.

It's all very well people having a "stuff the local residents, if they don't like it then tough" attitude, but it's exactly that sort of attitude that could get tracks closed down.

I think you're right - respecting your local residents and their views is key. As it happens we have used the discounted & free tickets on more than one occasion, but even if we hadn't the fact that the Racecourse has actually bothered to make the offer shows they appreciate that some of the locals might not be too happy about the noise, and are trying to do something to appease them.

As Shale Searcher said, some may view that as bribing the locals to stop them complaining, but hey as a local resident I'd be happier to be offered a 'bribe' than nothing at all!

There are always going to be some locals who aren't happy regardless, and no offer of cheaper tickets is going to change their mind, but I'd like to think that for the majority the offer of something at least shows their feelings are being considered. As speedway becomes more & more of a minority sport, the more that the Robins promotion can do to keep the local residents sweet the better in my view...

• Like 1

Has anyone got any news on how the Supporters AGM and meeting went last night. Who was the attending rider etc and what questions were asked.