British Speedway Forum

Don't think a particular meeting thread is the place to debate the price or spectator facilities.

Think tyretrax is spot on with his point about spectator facilities, and on the whole these are excellent, but the primary reason for attending is to spectate and view the racing.

It's not so much the second tier on the back straight not being high enough, it's more the front of the front their needing to be lower, as viewing from the pits would then be affected.

As for the cost, it's all very well our friends from down south saying its not expensive, think the need to remember everything is relative, i.e.wage rates and house prices from area to area.

When this take over took place much was made about them being local lads and wanting to put something back into the local community.

Given the economics of the area I don't think many of the locals are being catered for.(no disrespect intended)

• Like 3

As for the cost, it's all very well our friends from down south saying its not expensive, think the need to remember everything is relative, i.e.wage rates and house prices from area to area.

In all likelihood people down south with the exception of London and surrounding counties are likely to have less expendable cash than those up here in equivalent jobs IMO. In that scenario wages aren't that much higher but house prices most certainly are, whether buying or renting.

In all likelihood people down south with the exception of London and surrounding counties are likely to have less expendable cash than those up here in equivalent jobs IMO. In that scenario wages aren't that much higher but house prices most certainly are, whether buying or renting.

Valid point, I should think no matter where you are in the country, people will always find a preferred way to use what disposable income they have on what suits them, it's a matter of choice, and it's nice to have speedway as one of those choices.

Still believe there are a larger number of highly paid jobs down south (and corresponding pensions)all be it in certain areas, anyway my point was really about the immediate local area.

There was much talk of getting the local teenagers who fly around on motorbikes out side the stadium interested in becoming the next world champion, but I fail to see this happening if they can't afford to see what's going on inside the stadium.

I'm not saying let them in free, and I know a lot has been done to promote the sport with discounted or free tickets, but it's got to be affordable for them to return, regularly.

Infact if you really look at virtualy every area there is speedway their are very few in prosperous areas.

• Like 1

Just wrote a massive rant that got lost

Extent child pricing to 18

Discounts for unemployed maybe

Anyone who attended on some sort of promotion last year won't be expecting the price jump if they attend now,

It has already been pointed out how fairly priced family ticked are.

But by and large I don't have an issue with current one, my issue is, if you want to fill the stadium people need to be able to see what they have paid for not another spectators back.

Edited by speed ace
  • Like 1

One change I found interesting during the close season is that Coventry abandoned concessions presumably to keep a lid on their top line price. A fascinating precedent.

Another option that friends have ventured is too categorise your meetings based on the expected challenge of the opposition. Enabling attractive pricing for certain meetings.

I am sure the owners are aware of the back straight issue and it will be resolved at some point. Personally still pinching myself at how lucky we are.

Edited by Fingersfin
  • Like 1

All of us want to pay as little as we can for as much as we can get in return. It's human nature.

However, Apple products are over priced, yet they enjoy high market share.

The promotion have estimated what they think they can charge.

If it's wrong they'll change it.

If it works then it's well done to them.

Apologies for repeating this, but the total revenue stream is not all about the total attendance times the entry price.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 7

but the total revenue stream is not all about the total attendance times the entry price.

That's why supermarket have loss leaders(to get you in) and sweets at kids eye level and tills (so the kids make you spend more)

Same as speedway, get as many families as you can in, hence the pricing, then the kids want jungle balls,sweets,burgers,juice. And already you've made more money and getting the next generation hooked.

That's why supermarket have loss leaders(to get you in) and sweets at kids eye level and tills (so the kids make you spend more)

Same as speedway, get as many families as you can in, hence the pricing, then the kids want jungle balls,sweets,burgers,juice. And already you've made more money and getting the next generation hooked.

Only if you own the stadium.

• Like 1

Apart from a few Embra fans on the wind up the majority of posters on BSF get the maths of running a club.

The promotion won't make a profit out of running speedway at Glasgow. They're no mugs they knew that after due diligence. They'd do well to make an operating profit never mind an overall profit.

Ashfield means more to them than profit and speedway.

For speedway it's long term security.

That means reducing operating loss.

At the pre season evening they said they only made profit in 3 meetings in 2015. Just 3.

It's about keeping sponsors happy too.

And that's about the quality of the audience (target market) not just quantity.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 5

Didn't mean to sound condescending regarding other clubs not owning their own stadiums, was only really referring to Glasgow at this point, although it is necessary for all clubs to encourage kids, Berwick being a fine example and a club that currently I would say are struggling with crowd levels.

Didn't mean to sound ungrateful either regarding the Glasgow owners, and I car understand your quality remark but perhaps a longer "introductory period" was required, that said they really did push the boat out last year on promotion and advertising.

Unfortunately speedway seems to be a love or hate sport, lots of those who attend for the first time may not return, not because they had a bad experience, but just because it's not for them,you may have to kiss lots of frogs before you find a prince

Only if you own the stadium.

Apart from a few Embra fans on the wind up the majority of posters on BSF get the maths of running a club.

The promotion won't make a profit out of running speedway at Glasgow. They're no mugs they knew that after due diligence. They'd do well to make an operating profit never mind an overall profit.

Ashfield means more to them than profit and speedway.

For speedway it's long term security.

That means reducing operating loss.

At the pre season evening they said they only made profit in 3 meetings in 2015. Just 3.

It's about keeping sponsors happy too.

And that's about the quality of the audience (target market) not just quantity.

Edited by speed ace

One change I found interesting during the close season is that Coventry abandoned concessions presumably to keep a lid on their top line price. A fascinating precedent.

Another option that friends have ventured is too categorise your meetings based on the expected challenge of the opposition. Enabling attractive pricing for certain meetings.

I am sure the owners are aware of the back straight issue and it will be resolved at some point. Personally still pinching myself at how lucky we are.

Obviously Mick Horton is not that bothered about the hardcore of supporters who live off pensions and this sort of action might come back to haunt him but if he feels it's the right way to go good luck to him , personally I wouldn't support any team he has anything to do with and I wouldn't blame supporters who drifted away to support Leicester Lions its only 20 miles away

Yes, the promoters are well off and have spent a shed load on Glasgow Speedway, but that doesn't mean they want to make a loss. Pretty sure they've worked their figures out very carefully.

• Like 3

Agree with speed ace about using meeting threads for another subject, but when someone else raised the point I wasn't going to start a new thread. It does annoy me when a thread goes off in a completely different tangent. Oops maybe I should have posted that in the "What annoys me" thread. :D:cheers:

• Like 2

Agree with speed ace about using meeting threads for another subject, but when someone else raised the point I wasn't going to start a new thread. It does annoy me when a thread goes off in a completely different tangent. Oops maybe I should have posted that in the "What annoys me" thread. :D:cheers:

Or you try Coatbridge v Paisley thread