British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Cradley 2016

Think they have become exasperated with Dudley council in trying to find them a site(or not trying to find them a site, is more to the point).

No doubt if it had been houses or industrial units,their outlook would have been quite different.

Really sorry if this is the end for the Heathens,they have given us so much pleasure(and heartache if youre a Wolves fan)over the past years.

Hope you can find someone to carry on the fight,and keep this wonderful old club alive.

They have had meetings with said council a short while ago & then there off.I'm also sure that if there was housing involved land would have been found & built on by now. They must have been told to sod off by the council :sad:

• Like 1

A report from the Express& Star.

PUBLISHED: October 5, 2015 8:05 am LAST UPDATED: October 5, 2015 10:00 am

'We hope this is not the end': Cradley Heathens owners stepping down

Owners of Cradley Heathens speedway club today made a desperate plea for new management to take over and save the club after announcing they are stepping down.

Chairman Nigel Pearson and club partners Chris Van Straaten and Gary Patchett revived the club in 2010 after 15 years out of the league.

But the management trio have today revealed they are bowing out because of personal circumstances and other work commitments.

The consortium hope the club can be saved by new faces coming forward and insist folding the Heathens would be the final option.

"It is a very difficult thing for us to do, but unfortunately at this time we cannot continue for both business and personal reasons," said Mr Pearson.

"It is our intention to do everything we can to allow the club to continue under new management next season rather than close the club down.

"We sincerely hope the forthcoming cup tie with King's Lynn at Perry Barr on October 14 is not the last ever Heathens' meeting," he said.

Mr Pearson is a broadcaster with Sky Sports and talkSPORT while Mr Van Straaten is one of three owners at speedway rivals Wolverhampton Wolves.

The Cradley Heathens have been thwarted by an on-going search for a permanent home after losing its home track in Dudley Wood two decades ago.

This season the club has been riding at Birmingham’s Perry Barr Stadium after a deal to race in Wolverhampton ended.

It had been hoped plans for an enterprise zone next to the M5 close to Junction 3 could provide a new long-term base.

But the proposals were dropped following a fierce backlash from campaigners who feared part of the green belt would be swallowed up.

The club had also been exploring possibilities at a site near Merry Hill shopping centre, which also fell through.

Following today's announcement, a meeting has been arranged with the interim board of the newly-formed Heathens Supporters Trust to discuss the situation.

Mr Pearson will also meet with officials at Dudley Council later this month to discuss a future home.

He added: "We have been going six years since we revived and it has been a wonderful time. We have given people a lot of pleasure.

"I do hope enough people care enough about this club and step forward and take the club forward and that this is not the end.

"We will offer all the help and support to anyone who comes forward and we will go to the meeting with the council regardless.

"I will even be there at home matches to make sure it is a smooth handover. Hopefully this will not be the end."

Yes I believe there have been over the (many) years, and there was a site in Oldbury that was as close as anywhere to being pushed ahead with - though that was probably 17 or 18 years ago now. Incidentally that site remains derelict but I think it has just been announced that a retail park will be going on there, assuming I have my locations correct.

I think at one stage Sandwell council were more responsive than Dudley, not that they could be much less responsive really, but there doesn't seem to be any discussions publicly ongoing.

Edit: Regarding the Trust, I hope that this is not coming too soon for the them to deal with bearing in mind it is a brand new organisation. I know there are some very capable and very enthusiastic people involved so hopefully they can ride to the rescue

Edited by MattJ81

Lets hope for the sake of speedway in general, that the historic name of Cadrley will carry on for generations to come. I can still remember coming to work over that way in the late 1960's and early 1070's and seeing the posters of the next meeting displayed all over the place.

Just hope that someone who knows theiir way around the sport can step in and take the club to greater things. Most of all to finding them a new home.

Lets hope ..., that the historic name of Cadrley will carry on for generations to come.

Indeed! :o

Probably more down to the Goose that paid with golden eggs has become barren and now needs culling!

From a Speedway Fan that happens to live in Somerset and support the Rebels, I sincerely hope the Heathens rally and find new management, I have fond memories of my Leicester days in the 70s and when the Heathens in the old British League came a calling !!! Good luck Cradley !!!

Probably more down to the Goose that paid with golden eggs has become barren and now needs culling!

Been said on the Fans Forum a few years ago.

If you've only got Variable costs to pay out, why burden the operation with a large Fixed Cost outlay of building your own site when some other operation will host you and carry the overheads of a stadium?

Over the decades the likes of Parker, Mole, Thomas, etc. have known and shown that its the first couple of seasons that they (might) make money, and after that attendances usually fall as the novelty wears off, (though a run of successes can prolong it.) That's when they sell off the operation to another new, keen but green promotion/association.

Been said on the Fans Forum a few years ago.

If you've only got Variable costs to pay out, why burden the operation with a large Fixed Cost outlay of building your own site when some other operation will host you and carry the overheads of a stadium?

Over the decades the likes of Parker, Mole, Thomas, etc. have known and shown that its the first couple of seasons that they (might) make money, and after that attendances usually fall as the novelty wears off, (though a run of successes can prolong it.) That's when they sell off the operation to another new, keen but green promotion/association.

you are right of course but it can go both ways. rent to a landlord can be crippling, once the stadium is yours the running costs are much lower and everything you take in is yours. also your future is in your own hands and not at the whim of a dog track,football club or whatever. from my own experience the wasps have been lost to the sport not once but both times for this reason and there's plenty of others who would still be here if they had owned their own stadium.

I really hope something happens and for the fans sake I wish the Heathens all the best. Must be difficult to find new owners when they dont even have a proper home track!

Tbf they have massive crowds, a track to ride on (albiet not there own), and a good selection of club assets. Surely it must be a dream opportunity for any local businessman or a group of wealthy fans to take over.

Love or hate the Heathens british Speedway needs these famous big name clubs with a proper fan base. Hopefully it all falls into place quickly and fans don't have to worry all weekend about the future.

On getting back in the local borough perhaps a "March" through Dudley town centre to the council buildings could help raise more awareness. I am sure if you could get 1000 or so people marching in green red and white local TV radio and papers would be all over it.

The problem is if you were a local businessman who may be interested in investing, you look at social media ( where most advertising is done these days ), look at the kind of aggressive rubbish a few of the Cradley followers come out with, then decide you wouldn't want your business associated with it.

• Like 1

The problem is if you were a local businessman who may be interested in investing, you look at social media ( where most advertising is done these days ), look at the kind of aggressive rubbish a few of the Cradley followers come out with, then decide you wouldn't want your business associated with it.

Your right Countershaft, at the start of the year the cradley fans were rude and very aggressive towards me and the family when we was there, I kept my cool and let them get on with it but it was if the speedway world owed them a club and a track.

Not to say that speedway does not need Cradley as it does but the supporters need to realise that being rude wont help them in there time of need. Like countershaft said if i was a business man and read what was going on face book at the start of the year, sorry guys not for me.

Your right Countershaft, at the start of the year the cradley fans were rude and very aggressive towards me and the family when we was there, I kept my cool and let them get on with it but it was if the speedway world owed them a club and a track.

Not to say that speedway does not need Cradley as it does but the supporters need to realise that being rude wont help them in there time of need. Like countershaft said if i was a business man and read what was going on face book at the start of the year, sorry guys not for me.

A minority of Cradley fans have always been like that dating right back to the 1970s.

Unfortunately it is always the minority that tar the majority with a bad reputation but they don't help the situation of the club.

Wolfie