British Speedway Forum
Mr Blobby

Glasgow V Edinburgh The Final 16th/17th October @7.30pm/7.00pm

The circular you mention or what you refer to as a "letter", which you say "crossed it line" - having read it I cannot find anything unreasonable in it. It also does not state that Glasgow fans should "boycott" Armadale, it simply says that the Glasgow management themselves will not be attending - a different thing entirely. And at no point is the word "boycott" mentioned - that appears to be an invention by Edinburgh fans. So, no, it did not cross a line, that is just nonsense. It appears that it is the Edinburgh management that are juvenile in all this, and which the Glasgow management have understandably become tired of.

You say Glasgow made 2 fundamental errors, in answer to your points:

1. It seems that they were surprised by how juvenile the Edinburgh management were.

2. It appears that Edinburgh management are jealous of Glasgow's financial position

Can we be very clear: it is complete nonsense for Edinburgh to object to Glasgow riding on a Friday, Edinburgh's apparent claim that Glasgow would somehow steal significant numbers from Edinburgh's gate/crowd is not valid and has no real basis in fact: the Edinburgh management unilaterally withdrew the mutual discount arrangement between the two clubs on the basis of there having been only 2 supporters that had used it. Edinburgh's argument just doesn't add up. Clearly, fans of each camp follow their own team and will attend accordingly. Are you seriously suggesting that you and a whole shedload of other Edinburgh fans will somehow desert Armadale en mass and instead flock to Ashfield? That argument just doesn't hold water at all. The stance on this by Edinburgh's management does seem rather pathetic. It also seems pathetic and rather childish that the Edinburgh management withdrew from what was clearly a mutual cooperation gesture originated by the Glasgow management, re the joint discount arrangement. It seems that at every turn Edinburgh have sought to be deliberately uncooperative and have shunned every attempt by the Glasgow management regarding mutual cooperation and Glasgow's attempts to encourage a more friendly atmosphere between the two sets of fans for the benefit of all. Edinburgh's management have shown themselves to be aloof at best and deliberately obstinate. This appears to have had the knock on effect of encouraging Edinburgh's supporters to follow suit and take umbrage at anything emanating from Glasgow and thereby stoking up a hostile atmosphere among its own fans towards Glasgow.

There is therefore no actual basis for Edinburgh to object to Glasgow running on a Friday, no actual basis at all. Edinburgh fans will not desert Armadale and flock to Ashfield instead, that is just nonsense. It seems Edinburgh have just objected because they can, for the sake of objecting and putting a spanner in the works over at Glasgow. So that again really is childish on the part of the Edinburgh management whom it would appear are just being deliberately obstructive.

Then there is the position of Alex Harkess. He should surely not play a part in deciding on this issue or various issues upon which Edinburgh are involved. There is far too much self interest in the sport and conflict of interest by those running it.

It appears that Edinburgh's position is one of sheer jealousy that Glasgow are doing alright financially and with their stadium etc and they don't want Glasgow to be successful. That's what its about. Sheer jealousy and childishness by the Edinburgh management. And from there total non-cooperation in anything by Edinburgh. Little wonder that the Glasgow management became tired of it all and hence the circular you refer to which in fact contains nothing which crosses any line at all.

The summary of the riders, yes I agree with much of your summary. You missed one aspect though. Wolbert substantially lowered his average at Glasgow last season and by some coincidence substantially raised it again. This raises a serious question i.e. was it deliberate on his part? If it was then that brings the sport into disrepute and begs a number of other questions including fraud and corruption of those involved. He isn't the first rider to do so and I'm sure won't be the last.

The dreadful performance of Glasgow's team at Armadale, the track does tend to suit the home team more than most and if you aren't dialled in then no matter how hard a team tries they will get nothing, not as neutral and fair as Powderhall was so that kind of one sided result was always on the cards at Armadale, a bit like Berrington Lough used to be.

A nuetral's perspective and very well put instead off one side against the other.

Doesn't read very neutral to me.

Reads to me the way they see it from a neutral.

Edited by Gazc

Seriously Gazc?

It's just a total anti all things Edinburgh post.

Even I am better balanced towards Glasgow than that.

Don't know the person but they certainly aren't neutral.

I intentionally did not touch on the subject of Friday night racing in my post because even if all of your claims and the claims in the letter (or whatever you want to call it) were true imo it does not justify it. The timing was atrocious and it was flawed. There can be no justification for boycotting another track.

If I was a Glasgow fan I would be worried that they did not travel to support their team in such a huge meeting regardless of the reason.

Anybody who spends more than 2 mins on the bsf will know that what is written can be easily interpreted many ways, sometimes accidentally or innocently and sometimes mischievously or vindictively. In the same way it can be written to have multiple meetings again unintentionally or completely on purpose.

As far as I am concerned the letter can be summed up in a sentence: thank you to our fans and boycott evil edinburgh. It doesn't say that but it might as well

• Like 4

Doesn't read very neutral to me.

You got that one spot on..could have been penned in Possil.Usual guff i'm afraid ..it seems that a fair percentage of the West Coast lot are trying to paint the Monarchs as bullies in all this..laughable!That letter handed out on friday is a pure spit oot the dummy moment.The Glasgow Nostra Promotion have done wonderful things to the new improved Slashfield stadium and must be applauded for that...but it seems they've not learned from previous promotions stunts..June 2010 for example..This blatant mass pisstake quite rightly scunnered many Monarchs fans like myself who previously were more than happy to attend Ashfield.Not only that it ripped the pish out of their their own supporters..But no instead of trying to mend fences with us and herald 'a new beginning for Scottish speedway' it appears they've declared war..oh dear.. From what i understand an offer was made to discuss this whole matter after the dust had settled on the Grand Final..but no they had to pre-empt that and hand out this piece of crap.. I hope things can be worked out but the way things have gone so far i won't hold my breath!Anyways..who won the Grand Final????Oh aye it was the men in Blue & Gold :party::drink: What a night and what a fantastic achievement by the Mighty Monarchs to win back to back to back titles..to say i feel proud would be an understatement!The best team over the season won thankfully.5 (yes 5 ) titles in 12 years is fantastic,especially when you sadly have to dismantle your winning team..big respect to our promotion and everyone involved behind the scene to achieve this without having the dosh of say..the Possil Park Galacticos lol.. ;):approve: However,none of this extra curricular guff coming from the West can take the gloss off this..superb! GIRUYT :D Hope everyone has a fantastic close season..i may pop up from time to time if anything comes of interest during the methanol withdrawal season..have a good one my friends :t:

Edited by Young51
  • Like 4

I do love a Glasgow/Edinburgh thread. I was worried before the meetings everything was too nice, this is more like it. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

Losing Aaron was too much he only rode in one race and scored 3 points in his second he was involved in a horrific crash. The effort after that from the rest of the boys showed true spirit to have a lead for second leg. I think edinburgh know that they only won due to our captain being injured. They weren't the best over two legs. We chose a guest who the night before was down scunny at the awards ceremony probably getting rubbered and it showed in his performance at armadale. So well done cookie and co on your title.

What council thing damosuzuki?

Aye right dream on Baba..were you hitting the Buckfast Cocktails early..dearo dear.. :nono: Even with Spud..who is still very much liked at Armadale by the way..it wouldnt have stopped the Peugeot Weegie Wagon sinking..NEWSFLASH>>The best team won over the two legs and over the whole season..get over it lol.. :D

Edited by Young51
  • Like 1

I would like to know how many Monarchs FANS genuinely think Tigers running on the same night would affect attendances at Armadale.IMO the Tigers promotion have a point,but do feel the last couple of paragraphs in the "Letter" are a little petty and unprofessional.

This is gonna run and run basically Edinburgh fans are being told what the letter really meant, they obviously can't be trusted to read it for themselves - god they might think Glasgow have a point!

For those not on facebook give it a go its got even more 'interesting' views. someone suggested that Wolbert cheated the Glasgow public last year and edinburgh has benefitted - does that make him a 'benefits cheat'? as if anyone from Edinburgh would do such a thing! Surly the Daily Mail should investigate?

• Like 1

You got that one spot on..could have been penned in Possil.Usual guff i'm afraid ..it seems that a fair percentage of the West Coast lot are trying to paint the Monarchs as bullies in all this..laughable!That letter handed out on friday is a pure spit oot the dummy moment.The Glasgow Nostra Promotion have done wonderful things to the new improved Slashfield stadium and must be applauded for that...but it seems they've not learned from previous promotions stunts..June 2010 for example..This blatant mass pisstake quite rightly scunnered many Monarchs fans like myself who previously were more than happy to attend Ashfield.Not only that it ripped the pish out of their their own supporters..But no instead of trying to mend fences with us and herald 'a new beginning for Scottish speedway' it appears they've declared war..oh dear.. From what i understand an offer was made to discuss this whole matter after the dust had settled on the Grand Final..but no they had to pre-empt that and hand out this piece of crap.. I hope things can be worked out but the way things have gone so far i won't hold my breath!Anyways..who won the Grand Final????Oh aye it was the men in Blue & Gold :party::drink: What a night and what a fantastic achievement by the Mighty Monarchs to win back to back to back titles..to say i feel proud would be an understatement!The best team over the season won thankfully.5 (yes 5 ) titles in 12 years is fantastic,especially when you sadly have to dismantle your winning team..big respect to our promotion and everyone involved behind the scene to achieve this without having the dosh of say..the Possil Park Galacticos lol.. ;):approve: However,none of this extra curricular guff coming from the West can take the gloss off this..superb! GIRUYT :D Hope everyone has a fantastic close season..i may pop up from time to time if anything comes of interest during the methanol withdrawal season..have a good one my friends :t:

You have a good one too!

• Like 1

This is gonna run and run basically Edinburgh fans are being told what the letter really meant, they obviously can't be trusted to read it for themselves - god they might think Glasgow have a point!

For those not on facebook give it a go its got even more 'interesting' views. someone suggested that Wolbert cheated the Glasgow public last year and edinburgh has benefitted - does that make him a 'benefits cheat'? as if anyone from Edinburgh would do such a thing! Surly the Daily Mail should investigate?

Ah Facebook some wonderful Glasgow fans on there wishing Edinburgh closed the stadium got burned down etc. Smashing people really, clearly never took Saturday night very well.

• Like 1

Hopefully we won't have to stomach any of this next year then.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=80123

It's broken, I don't know how to fix it, nothing to do with me, ......Oh look someone is trying to fix it, Lets try and stop them. Oh and by the way, we aren't going to do anything about our infrastructure at Armadale, we don't own it, there's nothing we can do, next season we'll be out of business, give us your money...etc etc etc.

Speedway is an incredibly exciting sport and exists in the same market as Ice Hockey, Basketball etc. IE massive family market. Not football, but potentially in the thousands. But for that you need certain things - and the current Edinburgh Head honchos have done nothing about it. I am not blaming Edinburgh speedway fans - it happens at every club. It happened at Glasgow. It all costs money that I certainly don't have.

But I am blaming tptb at Edinburgh for saying they can't see a solution and then when someone starts to seriously attempt a solution - they kybosh it. My big hope is that someone of vision buys into Edinburgh speedway. They are a sleeping giant - great side on the track but eeking out an existence at Armadale. I saw this happen in football 20 years ago when clubs were dragged into the twenty first century and I believe it will happen at Edinburgh, just not under the present management who have done incredibly well on the track but by their own admission have run out of ideas for making speedway popular.

Even Edinburgh Supporters must see this.

• Like 1