British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coomie

Somerset 2016

Funny how about 5 or 6 years ago I questioned the flag no here and was shouted down. The club change it and it's a great change.

Speedway fans in being fickle shocker!

Funny how about 5 or 6 years ago I questioned the flag no here and was shouted down. The club change it and it's a great change.

What did you question about the flag 5 or 6 years ago?

I certainly don't remember even seeing your post let alone criticising it. In any case this is about principles, not your pride.

adopted in 2013 ! ! loads of history .

The flag was adopted in 2013 by Somerset County Council, but the emblem itself has been present on the Somerset Coat of Arms, since it was ratified by the Court of Heralds in 1911........so yep, 105 years worth

• Like 1

Yes and on that Wiki page under the picture it says " a dragon rampant" it does not say a Wyvern rampant, hence my post "about as close to a Welsh dragon as you can get "

Are you insinuating all dragons are Welsh? I'm failing to see what point you are trying to make. Who cares if it's a dragon, a pony or a giraffe - it's now a true representation of the County itself.

The only I've suggested could of been better was the design itself, being on a plain white background which makes it look quite cheap.

Edited by Najjer

Oh look at me again everybody aren't I great!!
  • Like 3

What did you question about the flag 5 or 6 years ago?

I certainly don't remember even seeing your post let alone criticising it. In any case this is about principles, not your pride.

"I didn't see it, it didn't happen" - great.

Also, the last line told you exactly what my point was. Speedway fans changing their mind on a whim because someone tells them too. Pathetic. Why not actually form an opinion yourself some time. Mind you, that could be dangerous for some!

For the record, at the time I posted, "Somerset Rebels with the confederate flag confuses me. Nobody would call themselves the xxx Nazis with a Swastika as a logo would they? I'm bemused as to how its allowed."

"I didn't see it, it didn't happen" - great.

Also, the last line told you exactly what my point was. Speedway fans changing their mind on a whim because someone tells them too. Pathetic. Why not actually form an opinion yourself some time. Mind you, that could be dangerous for some!

For the record, at the time I posted, "Somerset Rebels with the confederate flag confuses me. Nobody would call themselves the xxx Nazis with a Swastika as a logo would they? I'm bemused as to how its allowed."

It was allowed for 15 years, so I really don't know what the problem is. People bored to much time springs to mind !!

• Like 1

To be fair I can't be bothered to find it, but there was a whole thread debating it at one point on the General discussion board which reached about 10 pages or so!

Exactly! And he has the cheek to call other forum users 'pathetic'.

The flag was adopted in 2013 by Somerset County Council, but the emblem itself has been present on the Somerset Coat of Arms, since it was ratified by the Court of Heralds in 1911........so yep, 105 years worth

Wore that emblem with pride on my Somerset County golf kit back in the early nineties! I like it and the actual design is growing on me with each day. Popped into the OakTree today and it looked much better on a few posters and things i saw it on in there.

Are you insinuating all dragons are Welsh? I'm failing to see what point you are trying to make. Who cares if it's a dragon, a pony or a giraffe - it's now a true representation of the County itself.

The only I've suggested could of been better was the design itself, being on a plain white background which makes it look quite cheap.

Well my mother-in-law wasn't Welsh.
  • Like 3

http://www.somersetrebels.co/news.php?extend.1640

Must admit I'm not keen on the white background, as it makes it look abit 'cheap' and basic - A dark blue background would of been much better.

As it says in the press release though, I think it's probably a long time overdue and becoming politically correct.

I would have thought putting red on a blue background wouldn't show up that well, white is probably the best option.

I would have thought putting red on a blue background wouldn't show up that well, white is probably the best option.

Put a white outline round the centre piece and that would make it stand out just fine. Believe it or not I do this sort of thing for a job so I like to think I know what I'm talking about!