British Speedway Forum
Paul Johnson

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2016?

The best news this year !

Heartily approve of the Sundays at 6.30 idea.

As for the team......

Tommy Gun nailed on along with Ryan D.

Other than that I'm not too sure.

Personally I don't want to see Carlos back as he was too much of a loose cannon this year.

Hmmmmm think u maybe disapointed on 2 counts and wilcko was named rider of the year

• Like 1

Rob takes the mike & announces to rapturous applause, exactly what everyone had hoped to hear? The Scorpions WILL fight on in 2016! It's cost a small fortune over the past few years to keep things going, so everyone MUST now please just simply get down the EWR on a Sunday and KEEP BACKING the Speedway in Scunny to ensure a successful 2016 & hopefully beyond!. Great to see Josh, Alex,Carlos & most surprisingly Zeddy (what commitment!!) all there taking a bow!, Also ever-popular Tommy G with Rob teasing him into a 2016 return, not?? Carlos took the supporters Rider of Year with Theo taking the Track Staff award. Teamwise 2016? Josh, Ryan, Alex and Carlos all nailed on imo and dont rule out Zeddy? He's dead keen and as I say, what commitment to get over for the presentation, after all he's only done 3 Scunny meets so far and riding back in Czecho on Sunday! Here's to a great 2016 for the Scorpions. BE THERE AND BE PART OF IT! Cheers all!

• Like 1

I wonder if the news that 800 jobs could be lost at the steel works may affect crowd attendance? Even loss of 10% of 800 is a lot when finances are tight.

The best news this year !

Heartily approve of the Sundays at 6.30 idea.

I much preferred Fridays..................but I can very much see why they have switched to Sunday evening and the quality of the racing at EWR - definitely the best in the country - means I'll still go there more than anywhere else next season.

Whatever the night they choose to run, this is brilliant (if not totally unexpected) news. The loss of Scunny would have been a disaster.

• Like 1

Brilliant news Sunday's don't suit us as Mr Moorwell knows but at least I have chance to go to 50% of the meetings instead of 100% chance of going to none. Long live the mighty scorpions

From what was said, their aiming for every other Sunday & also the usual Bank Holiday dates. Yes the track doesn't always suit an afternoon start but if we aim for 6-6.30pm then the track should normally be just about perfect and still allow for everyone to arrive and get home at a reasonable time? Presumeably the Scorpions will have at least one away fixture on those weeks when their not at home? Wonder whether this weekends AGM will set something in place cost-wise to encourage regular fans to travel and support their team at other tracks? #GOTTA MAKE THIS WORK!

Brilliant news Sunday's don't suit us as Mr Moorwell knows but at least I have chance to go to 50% of the meetings instead of 100% chance of going to none. Long live the mighty scorpions

Yes brilliant news last night but you might not miss as many as you think. From what I deduced we are racing every other Sunday at the EWR. I guess that the fixtures are going to run more like football; Home one week and Away in the next. So Premier fixtures staged over 3 days end of week; Elite fixtures 3 days front of week So we may be home Sunday and following week away to Sheffield then back home week after. Its sense really and potentially eases clashes for double up riders like Josh. Also I think they will incentivise away travel with concessions on gate.

On the team front No Tommy Gun alas looks like money. No hard feelings rightly Thomas sees himself No1 as he achieved at Berwick; and it may not fit in our 2016 plans. Still our go to rider though if we need a guest. So we wish him well all amicable.

For us; Wilko is comfirmed at reserve! and a draft rider so this is my 1-7

Josh 8.00

Ryan 6.68

Alex 6.26

Carl 5.33

Matt 3.00

MPT 5.86

Zedi 7.00

Tot 42.13.

Merry Christmas

As for Sunday racing, I know of 15 adults that have been going to the EWR since the first year of racing and in NO way can get to a Sunday Night meeting. Just 15 fans now looking to go somewhere on a weekday night. I hope that for the rest of the fans that the gates are good and that the EWR is open for years to come.

if its home only every other week, and b/hols, does this mean a reduced fixture list.

Did they say if scunny would be fiddling averages early doors next season or not :)

If the AGM, as it should, comes up with some proper structure, then there would be no need to even think about this. Baring forced changes through injury, there needs to be a set window, say 1st June to permit the first team change. To me this would seem fair and sensible on all sides.

As for Sunday racing, I know of 15 adults that have been going to the EWR since the first year of racing and in NO way can get to a Sunday Night meeting. Just 15 fans now looking to go somewhere on a weekday night. I hope that for the rest of the fans that the gates are good and that the EWR is open for years to come.

I must say "15" definitely gone just like that is an awful lot to lose! Obviously, I don't know what the issues are but that's worrying and there may be others? For sure the promotion need to be aware of this type of thing when making their decisions. I sincerely hope that at least a few of the 15 can find a way of being there at some point? The promotion certainly don't need to be switching to Sunday only to find numbers even less! As regards every other Sunday, it was intimated as being "more or less" & that with the Bank Holiday dates then it would all pretty much pan out. We'll see?

• Like 1