British Speedway Forum

Great win from Woffinden :cheers: :drink:free-happy-smileys-346.gif free-happy-smileys-346.gif free-happy-smileys-346.gif

What a cracking GP.

Chris Harris, give it up as a bad job with a bit of dignity and allow Lindgren a spot when Hampel returns :nono:

Point 1...absolutely

Point 2...absolutely

Point 3...great idea and I fully agree but I doubt Bomber will.

• Like 1

disappointed at the winner lol you not British then??? Ah bless another Tai is an Aussie idiot

pillock

Personally, I find it hard to understand the level of attention given to sportsmen and women singing national anthems at sporting events, certainly before the event. You are a professional athlete, you are judged by what you do on the track / field / pitch, not whether you can sing a song. I'll gladly take Tai never singing the anthem, just keep producing where it matters most.

A lot of people point to rugby players singing anthems and how because of this they must be very patriotic. But I was interested to hear Martin Johnson once reveal in an interview that he is not very patriotic and feels more of an allegiance to team mates and friends than his country.

• Like 1

Point 3...great idea and I fully agree but I doubt Bomber will.

Why should he? He is there by right.

You have to question his commitment, though, after opting out of practice.

Rune Holta have never claimed to be Polish and we never called him one. He married a Polish lady and got our citizenship so it was easier for him to get into real speedway in Poland. Same thing did the Australian Tai Woffinden who just came to UK because it's closer to Poland and Sweden. That's why he doesn't ride in Britain, doesn't support British speedway and doesn't sing foreign to him anthems.

He had to come to england to learn to ride ,becuase the Poles won't take take them until they are of a good standard ,it's only the Mugs british speedway who will train them up

• Like 1

Maybe just maybe it's because he IS Australian?

Two time British World Champion. Go on, say it, you'll feel better :-)

• Like 1

Personally, I find it hard to understand the level of attention given to sportsmen and women singing national anthems at sporting events, certainly before the event. You are a professional athlete, you are judged by what you do on the track / field / pitch, not whether you can sing a song. I'll gladly take Tai never singing the anthem, just keep producing where it matters most.

A lot of people point to rugby players singing anthems and how because of this they must be very patriotic. But I was interested to hear Martin Johnson once reveal in an interview that he is not very patriotic and feels more of an allegiance to team mates and friends than his country.

Especially the one we have which is more like a funeral dirge rather than being something uplifting and brings up the hair on the back of your neck when heard.

Maybe some people do not believe in god anymore or do not agree with having a monarchy, why would you sing something you do not believe in.

It is about time it was changed to something uplifting, non religious and non royal.

• Like 3

So what if he doesn't sing the national anthem It's hardly the crime of the century is it ? After all there's far more things in life to worry about . I wonder if from now on other riders who win GPs will recieve the same level of critasisam if they don't sing their national anthems , or is this all all about " he's not a real Brit is he " ?

So what if he doesn't sing the national anthem It's hardly the crime of the century is it ? After all there's far more things in life to worry about . I wonder if from now on other riders who win GPs will recieve the same level of critasisam if they don't sing their national anthems , or is this all all about " he's not a real Brit is he " ?

It's just people trying to find a stick to beat a successful Brit. It's always been the same.

Tai took his hat off and was respectful throughout our ghastly national anthem, and fair play to him. There's nothing to criticise.

• Like 4

I've criticised Tai in the past for rabbiting away with Hancock and slurping from his bottle while the anthem plays, but, short of singing along at the top of his lungs with tears streaming down his face, he behaved impeccably on the podium.

As for the anthem, we should 'adopt' Russia's. They won't be needing it for a while!

What a GP.

I have to see it on you tube.Did not expect to see Tai in the final, i thought a few of the riders were more on the pace than he was.

Very happy though.

Congratulations Tai.

Been saying the same thing about the England football team that just stand there during the anthems looking like they don't want to be there.

Seems like you have not seen England in a number of years, the manager said to every player that when you represent your country you sing the anthem,every player sings now.

It's funny tai only sings the Australian anthem, I guess had holder won and he was second he would sing along to it.

Tai is a fake Brit that does little for British speedway.

As for his fund raising sign for darcy that is disrespectful to the British riders in wheelchairs who can't afford a house on the Gold Coast.

It's just people trying to find a stick to beat a successful Brit. It's always been the same.

Tai took his hat off and was respectful throughout our ghastly national anthem, and fair play to him. There's nothing to criticise.

He sang the Aussie anthem with passion but refuses to sing the British anthem,but it's ok he took his cap off

Seems like you have not seen England in a number of years, the manager said to every player that when you represent your country you sing the anthem,every player sings now.

It's funny tai only sings the Australian anthem, I guess had holder won and he was second he would sing along to it.

Tai is a fake Brit that does little for British speedway.

As for his fund raising sign for darcy that is disrespectful to the British riders in wheelchairs who can't afford a house on the Gold Coast.

So if all the top players refused to sing he would not have them in the team, the lack of success would grow and he would not have his job for long.

So if all the top players refused to sing he would not have them in the team, the lack of success would grow and he would not have his job for long.

It started with the fans and the media saying Rooney didn't sing the anthem and it was disrespectful to our country.

Then hodgson made it clear if you win the honour to represent your country you sing the anthem.

There was no problem for tai singing the Aussie anthem but he doesn't want to sing the British anthem, make your own mind up to where his loyalty stands.

It started with the fans and the media saying Rooney didn't sing the anthem and it was disrespectful to our country.

Then hodgson made it clear if you win the honour to represent your country you sing the anthem.

There was no problem for tai singing the Aussie anthem but he doesn't want to sing the British anthem, make your own mind up to where his loyalty stands.

I do not care which anthem Tai sings along with, maybe he does not agree with the words ours has, anyway in the World Championship he has the British flag on his race number jacket but he is riding for himself and not the country.

I am happy that he is English and at the moment is the only decent rider we have.

• Like 1