British Speedway Forum
hyderd

Belle Vue 2016

Has there been some behind closed door practice to make sure the track rides ok?

This is a sitting duck for a sold out stadium, biggest crowd in decades only to discover a Warsaw gp type track or worse. The track needs to be perfect from the first heat with no nails in coffins or shots through feet.

This post is spot on. Something I have been thinking for a while. I think they are cutting it incredibly fine. Is the construction of the stadium running behind schedule? With the opening meeting next week, surely they would have wanted the construction work finished a good month ago?

A cock up with the track bedding in would be a disaster. Fingers crossed for you.

Edited by G the Bee

With good weather for the next week, I would think they will play it safe and tyre pack it hard.

With good weather for the next week, I would think they will play it safe and tyre pack it hard.

Hope so, I asked about the track being ready on the news section a week back, as there are a lot of people attending the welcome opening, and how this goes could influence sky showing the meeting on 30th.

Why? They are obviously very confident about the track or do they just want to give it the max time to bed in ..... no doubt they planned on longer .....

The weather has seen to that I'm afraid. It's been the wettest winter for years.

They've had to prioritise other parts of the build whilst it's been like it has. The track would have been the priority I'm sure, but it simply hasn't been possible.

I think it's been an achievement getting it done at all with what they've had to face.

The saving grace will be the shape of the track. It's an incredible shape. Great banking all the way round, it really is perfect for speedway. As long as it doesn't cut up, it will lend itself to top quality racing. The amount of thought has been brilliant. Even if the surface isn't perfect, I still think we will see good racing even whilst it beds down

Edited by acef

Shale shmale, Hull's 1995 opener at Craven Park was raced on the track base (!) Not by choice, I should point out, the shale was delivered either too late to lay it or to lay and grade properly, time was getting on so the show went on. I should also point out the surface took half the 1st season to settle down and that previously ridden on base not show through. A practice / track test at Belle Vue would probably for the best but there is a mytique thing of the first bikes on track being meeting 1, heat 1. Not long to go.......

Edited by Martin Mauger

why's that, Poole use a track with holes in every week!

And you are there every week aren't you!!!!👺💩

Edited by PiratesPiratesPirates

Good weather in Manchester, your avin a larf.. Im sure they'l find some rain from somewhere..

why's that, Poole use a track with holes in every week!

Really, your hate for Poole is really quite obvious, Still im sure you'l get used to it. eventually. Nothing wrong with our track mate, sinse the KL riders decided to pretend they were rabbits..

Must admit I think it would be wise to get bikes out onto the track prior to opening night, the last thing anyone wants is the have a capacity crowd in the stadium, some of the best riders around in the pits, with all the media razzmatazz there to report on first night, and you end up with riders struggling with a rough track. Surely some kind of a rehearsal would be the way to go.

Must admit I think it would be wise to get bikes out onto the track prior to opening night, the last thing anyone wants is the have a capacity crowd in the stadium, some of the best riders around in the pits, with all the media razzmatazz there to report on first night, and you end up with riders struggling with a rough track. Surely some kind of a rehearsal would be the way to go.

Definately, then after practice they can rectify the problem and drag the track back then pack it, otherwise you risk the track cutting up very badly. Still im sure that Stevehone won't complain about that, only happens at Poole, apparantely !!

Edited by Starman2006

I remember the Newport track having a few holes in. Hull (Boulevard) wasn't a nice place to ride and Exeter, well just turning up frightened most riders....fans too! It had a launch pad on the start line too. I remember Canterbury being particularly like a field with mole holes on my visits. Hone should know about that!🐢🐢

Edited by PiratesPiratesPirates

The weather has seen to that I'm afraid. It's been the wettest winter for years.

They've had to prioritise other parts of the build whilst it's been like it has. The track would have been the priority I'm sure, but it simply hasn't been possible.

I think it's been an achievement getting it done at all with what they've had to face.

The saving grace will be the shape of the track. It's an incredible shape. Great banking all the way round, it really is perfect for speedway. As long as it doesn't cut up, it will lend itself to top quality racing. The amount of thought has been brilliant. Even if the surface isn't perfect, I still think we will see good racing even whilst it beds down

Totally understand and cannot wait for next weekend, so look forward to being at the first meeting 😆

And you are there every week aren't you!!!!👺💩

There SHOULD NEVER be holes in the track of the 'best' club in GB, should there?

I'd have said a demonstration ride by Chris Morton and Peter Collins (if fit enough) would have been a great way to launch the new track.

I do hope it works out.

As for weather, well it doesn't rain quite as much in Manchester as some would stupidly suggest. Mind you some on the south coast can't see that the sun comes from the sky, not from the promoter's nether regions ;-)

Starman/weatherman? Well, you can't rely on either can you?

Weather Forecast...

This forecast is my own, based on the models ran on the world's most powerful weather computers, and I reckon it's not far off bang on...

From Saturday 12th March.

The weather for Manchester will be mainly dry, and I mean dry! High pressure in control for the foreseeable future. The nights may be cold, with the chance of frost, but no significant precipitation between 12th March and 19th March. Daytime temps will fluctuate between around 8c and 14c depending on how much sun you get, which is still a tad hit and miss, it's a dirty high....

But it should be dry between 12th and 19th March.....

Totally understand and cannot wait for next weekend, so look forward to being at the first meeting

There SHOULD NEVER be holes in the track of the 'best' club in GB, should there?

You are correct in all of that sentence.

I'd have said a demonstration ride by Chris Morton and Peter Collins (if fit enough) would have been a great way to launch the new track.

I do hope it works out.

As for weather, well it doesn't rain quite as much in Manchester as some would stupidly suggest. Mind you some on the south coast can't see that the sun comes from the sky, not from the promoter's nether regions ;-)

Starman/weatherman? Well, you can't rely on either can you?

Good point about Chris and PC. As for the sun shining I really don't believe it comes from the sky!

Totally understand and cannot wait for next weekend, so look forward to being at the first meeting

You certainly won't find one now. But at the time, we were very lucky to get the meeting on with all the rain we had..