British Speedway Forum
hyderd

Belle Vue 2016

Pretty sure on a National Statistics site of the wettest places in Britain, Cardiff was the wettest place. Manchester was quite a way down the list about level with Poole/Bournemouth.

Might have to try to find it and make Starry look a chump again...

Manchester is right up there as a rainy place

Amount of days of rain per year order

rain_zpshd9jegpt.jpg

Amount of rain per year order

rain2_zpsmqaqhetr.jpg

Having top notch drainage is going to massively reduce rain offs, trust me, I know!!

Water puddling due to poor drainage is probably the single biggest enemies to the speedway track... It changes the integrity of the track, and causes the dreaded "patchy" track, slick to grip to slick etc, it also creates dips, holes and ruts where the water lay and gradually eeked into the surface causing the track surface to be graded and worn away by tractors and speedway bike rear wheels!! These cannot be repaired during a meeting....

However, having great drainage does have a drawback, in that the clay can get "washed out" of the track surface, which needs the clay to bind it together.... The surface then becomes compromised and breaks up more readily, so the clay must be re-added as soon as possible....

• Like 1

Manchester is right up there as a rainy place

Amount of days of rain per year order

rain_zpshd9jegpt.jpg

Amount of rain per year order

rain2_zpsmqaqhetr.jpg

Interesting data.

So comparing Bournemouth and Manchester, on the days that it rains, Bournemouth has the heavier rainfall - that explains the hole then at Wimborne Rd!! ;)

I have a daughter that lives in Didsbury, Manchester and I don't reckon it rains anywhere as much as people think - as demonstrated by the statistics provided!

Edited by TesarRacing
  • Like 1

That didn't take much finding. Data from the Met Office. Average yearly rainfall in cm (1981-2010)

Cardiff 115.19cm

Glasgow 112.43

Preston 103.36

Huddersfield 102.84

Plymouth 100.74

Blackpool 88.27

Carlisle 87.21

Manchester 86.71

Bournemouth 83.52

Other speedway places:

Sheffield 83.46

Stoke 80.61

Birmingham 80.49

Edinburgh 70.42

Coventry 70.01

Wolverhampton 68.12

Newcastle 59.72

Middlesbrough 57.42

Ipswich 56.05

waiting for Starman's comeback..

..should be a belter :rofl:

waiting for Starman's comeback..

..should be a belter :rofl:

Ah but it could be lighter rain but more often meaning maybe more meetings rained off in Manchester.

Ah but it could be lighter rain but more often meaning maybe more meetings rained off in Manchester.

But if it is lighter it is not as wet :wink:

• Like 2

That didn't take much finding. Data from the Met Office. Average yearly rainfall in cm (1981-2010)

Cardiff 115.19cm

Glasgow 112.43

Preston 103.36

Huddersfield 102.84

Plymouth 100.74

Blackpool 88.27

Carlisle 87.21

Manchester 86.71

Bournemouth 83.52

I think the main difference with Manchester is that 90% of the rain falls on Speedway night. Glorious sunshine all weekend then belting it down Monday evening was a common occurrence during our Kirky Lane years. Somebody "upstairs" clearly doesn't like Speedway.

Time will tell. Not with the amount of rain you get..

I would call NW42 's post smug, wouldn't you ? Or maybe you wouldn't... When was the last time you won a league title ? A new stadium will not gurrantee you any league titles. You had your chance last season but blew it..

Smug, ok if that's how you see it, you're entitled to your opinion, which means I am too.

My opinion is that you really are a prize plum, you keep on spouting the same old claptrap, you never acknowledge the actual words of the replies you get, instead you just carry on with you inane ramblings, rain this, rain that, well you've been given the facts about rainfall, so that's another of your theories killed stone dead.

Truth of it is you're jealous, aren't you. Why can't you be like almost everyone else and be pleased for the Belle Vue (The most famous speedway club in the World) that they have been given the opportunity to operate from the National Speedway Stadium?

Anyway, what about those rain facts you've been shown, any comment?

• Like 7

Yep rain may effect Belle Vue getting big meetings, just like its effected Vojens getting them all these years :)

Edited by SUPERACE

Can any Aces fans clarify? I can understand why the NSS was designed without some sort of roof - despite the various fact-finding missions to Polish stadia etc - the key reason being one of cost I would imagine?!

But did I not read amongst all the pre-publicity about the NSS during the construction stages that there were purpose-designed track covers being supplied?? Or have I imagined that??

Not a criticism at all - just a query. I think its a fabulous effort by all concerned.

You're correct and if not already with us they should be here anytime.

I'm sure there will be photos etc when they first get used.

• Like 1

Still doesn't get away from the fact you get more rain than most, and no matter how good your dranage is its not going to save meetings. yeh would like to come up, and Yeh no doubt you have plenty of room but i'l check the forcast first... ;) That said, having the best stadium in the country, alledgedly, is not going to win you a league championship.

What a total spanner you are! Of course good drainage saves meetings you t0sser

Time will tell. Not with the amount of rain you get..

I would call NW42 's post smug, wouldn't you ? Or maybe you wouldn't... When was the last time you won a league title ? A new stadium will not gurrantee you any league titles. You had your chance last season but blew it..

What has Belle Vues new stadium got to do with winning titles or when they last won one?

Belle Vue are the biggest club still operating............fact

They had a chance last season to win the league...............but this season they went and stuffed you in your own backyard

I see Mikkel Mikkelson has posted that he is at the hospital with Max Fricke hopefully nothing to serious as he is having an amazing season.

I see Mikkel Mikkelson has posted that he is at the hospital with Max Fricke hopefully nothing to serious as he is having an amazing season.

Oh no 😕 Fingers crossed Max is okay. He's having a brilliant season everywhere. One of my favourite riders.