British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Fao Newcastle Fans

Sorry but at that time I was giving my money to a greedy cash-hungry ogre called 'football', where the players roll around in agony when an opponent accidentally brushes their eyelashes. But hey, we all make mistakes...

• Like 4

David Bargh, can you enlighten me, seemed a class act

That he was I still have loads of video/dvd footage with him riding for us, he was a New Zealander born racer class act.

David Bargh, can you enlighten me, seemed a class act

In 1990-92 he Averaged over 9.5 each season for Newcastle (averaged 8.3 in 1980 and 6.6 in the ill-fated 1st division season in '84). Missed out in the 2nd Div Riders Championship in 1991 when beaten in a run-off by Jan Staechmann, after both had finished on 14pts.

Top and consistent performer. The Mark Thorpe/David Bargh pairing was something to behold.

Great rider who could perform on all track shapes, sizes and surfaces. Very stylish too.

Only met him once but seemed a thoroughly nice fella to boot.

Had the most 'clipped' Kiwi iccent iver

Think Murray from Flight of the Conchords

Edited by Chewbacca

David was a class act on and off the track and a lovely guy. Really cared about the sport too.

An excellent Rider as I remember.

they don't make them like david bargh these days

ironically had some Diamond programmes of 91 was looking at his scores back in 2002 and he seemed to rarely to drop a point

Class, stylish and totally professional act would make my all time diamonds team since 75 with the Owens, Rod, Nikki, Bjarne and my old favourite Derek Richardson - special mentions to Kenneth, Kenni, Robbie Blackadder, Ron Henderson, Bobby Beaton, Mark Thorpe, Jesper, Alan Emerson, David Blackburn boy now those were the days and I could still name another dozen not far off also. Toss of the coin between the 76 and 82 teams as who were the best - one of my biggest wows in speedway was the press and practice day for the 82 team and not believing the team that had been assembled (no announcements in those days you turned up just to find who was in the team for the season) and the team riding through a 'we break the 50 point banner' - happy days.

Edited by acclennell

Most people seem to be discussing his second spell with Newcastle, he was also there 1978 - 1981, starting as a 16 year old. Would have loved him to have stayed at Sheffield longer, but circumstances at the time dictated otherwise.

David Bargh was one of the best riders I have seen around Brough in a long while. He rarely dropped a point and had a fantastic racing style, great team rider and generally a top bloke and always happy to stop and have a chat. I still remember the time he had to be helicoptered to Brough to make a meeting after racing in the Commonwealth or some other final down south. Would always make my lineup of top Diamonds riders. I remember him more from his spell during the 90's, in blue leathers with Debmat just about everywhere!!!!

Top bloke awesome round enough. Heard a story about him when he had a coming together with another rider and damaged his bike and at the end of the meeting went to the spares van and bought him a new set of forkes. Also read in the star that brough was one of his least favourite track yet he was master of it and he went a long way to making Mark Thorpe the rider he became ...Top top rider

Edited by robbieblackadder fan club
  • Like 1