British Speedway Forum
speedibee

Nigel Boocock Ashes Laid To Rest

Jim also rode with Booey in New Zealand for England,so could correctly be described in this case as an England star,as for instance could Ken McKinlay

1968-69,1969-70,1970-71 tours for instance

http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/nzveng.htm

Edited by iris123

Jim also rode with Booey in New Zealand for England,so could correctly be described in this case as an England star,as for instance could Ken McKinlay

1968-69,1969-70,1970-71 tours for instance

http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/nzveng.htm

Ken McKinlay...arguably the best ever Scot! Saw him ride towards the back end of his career...wish I'd seen him at his peak.

On the Eric Boocock interview on the Halifax DVD and it was brilliant by the way, Eric cracked me up i creased up laughing.They were close as Brothers they had there moments like everybody else but Eric said Nigel once asked how did you do little Un! this was after Eric had won the 74 British Championship(both qualified). Nigel said that was good then that was it Eric said but he expected no more,what a rider he was he rode in any conditions and give everything would of loved to see him in his match races for the helmet against Ove.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JY_xq1xJPA0 Love the video a top man.

• Like 1

On the Eric Boocock interview on the Halifax DVD and it was brilliant by the way, Eric cracked me up i creased up laughing.They were close as Brothers they had there moments like everybody else but Eric said Nigel once asked how did you do little Un! this was after Eric had won the 74 British Championship(both qualified). Nigel said that was good then that was it Eric said but he expected no more,what a rider he was he rode in any conditions and give everything would of loved to see him in his match races for the helmet against Ove.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JY_xq1xJPA0 Love the video a top man.

Watched said DVD. Enjoyed listening to Eric as his delivery is so dry! Very different riders in their approach to their racing. Eric very nearly signed for Oxford prior to the 1975 season but decided to take up a managerial post at Belle Vue and retired from active racing. He did try a comeback in 1983 (?) but soon retired for good. Two great ambassadors and Eric, surely, is due an honour for services rendered over many years?

• Like 1

Watched said DVD. Enjoyed listening to Eric as his delivery is so dry! Very different riders in their approach to their racing. Eric very nearly signed for Oxford prior to the 1975 season but decided to take up a managerial post at Belle Vue and retired from active racing. He did try a comeback in 1983 (?) but soon retired for good. Two great ambassadors and Eric, surely, is due an honour for services rendered over many years?

I loved both as riders different styles god both terrific over a long period Eric for me straight as a dye no nonsense.I would love him to be involved now with speedway how to move it forward as he has always had a modern way of thinking both Legends for me. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Ken McKinlay...arguably the best ever Scot! Saw him ride towards the back end of his career...wish I'd seen him at his peak.

I did, but all I can remember is him going to Australia every Winter then holding the Hunters to ransom to get the contract he wanted. :lol:

• Like 1

Ken Mckinlay was widely regarding as a maestro at tuning the JAP engine and many riders used his expertise His riding was always so smooth with very few mistakes and he always looked so calm, and unflurried. I remember late on in his career, he was riding in an individual meeting at Leicester Blackbird Road, Ray Wilson had gone through the meeting unbeaten till his last race when he lined up against Ken. A group of Leicester supporters by me were already celebrating Wilson's max when I said it would not surprise me to see Ken beat him - cue laughter all round as they said Ken was well past it and he would not get near Wilson. Ken sped from the gate and after four faultless laps, try as he might (and Wilson was mighty fast round Blackbird Road at that time), Wilson could not get near him.

• Like 2

Ken Mckinlay was widely regarding as a maestro at tuning the JAP engine and many riders used his expertise His riding was always so smooth with very few mistakes and he always looked so calm, and unflurried. I remember late on in his career, he was riding in an individual meeting at Leicester Blackbird Road, Ray Wilson had gone through the meeting unbeaten till his last race when he lined up against Ken. A group of Leicester supporters by me were already celebrating Wilson's max when I said it would not surprise me to see Ken beat him - cue laughter all round as they said Ken was well past it and he would not get near Wilson. Ken sped from the gate and after four faultless laps, try as he might (and Wilson was mighty fast round Blackbird Road at that time), Wilson could not get near him.

Thanks for sharing that memory!

I was at Sheffield the night they lifted him on and off his machine for every race he was in a lot of pain with his broken collar bone but he wasn`t going to give in..think it was a world championship round .

I remember the first meeting of the 1975 season at Oxford when Nigel was excluding in the first race and his wife, Cynthia, taking issue with the referee!

For those who have not seen the SS this week. Nigel Boocock's ashes will be laid to rest under the starting gate at Brandon on Saturday 9th January 2016 at 11.00am. All welcome at the stadium which is, I believe, open from 10.30 till 1pm. His widow, Cynthia, daughter Vicki, Brother Eric, and many of his old team mates and rivals are to be present. Here's hoping for a really good send off for a great servant of British Speedway. Before anyone asks, it would appear that the spot that the ashes are to be buried at will not be disturbed in the event of redevelopment of the stadium.

• Like 6

Big signs have been put up on main roads in Rugby town centre about Saturday's event at Brandon, together with the local papers running a large half page article promoting it. Nigel's ashes are to be taken on a final lap of the circuit on a bike ridden by Peter Collins with the ashes carried by Nigel's grandson, Thomas, on the back before three generations of Nigel's family witness their burial under what was gate one of the old circuit before it was altered. Expected to attend are ex riders Rick France, Roger Hill, Tony Lomas,John Harrhy, Frank Smith, Tony Gillias, Doug Wyer, Ole Nygren, Ray Wilson, Eric Broadbelt, Colin Pratt, Jim Lightfoot, Eric Boocock, Jim McMillan amongst others together with a crop of present riders including Chris Harris. May well turn out to be lot bigger attendance than expected so if you can get along to commemorate Nigel' outstanding career, the event starts at 11.00am (stadium open from 10.30am).

• Like 6

Thanks for this info. I will be going along with friends. I can't really get there before 11.00. Can anyone tell be at what time the committal of the ashes will be?

Many thanks.