British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Are There Any Characters Within The Sport Anymore?

There is hardly ever a bad word said about the Morans, they are regarded as heroes, when the reality is they made Darcy look like an angel.

Likewise Carter, folk are constantly going on about what a 'great guy' he was and waxing lyrical about his riding. He was a murderer, Nothing more, nothing less, what he did on a bike is irrelevant.

As regards the 'lack of characters' it is very often the very same people who bang on about the great characters of the past who are the first to speak out in outrage at a slight indiscretion of a modern day rider.... we're seeing some of those very people on this thread.

Agree with you, but for some reason, their indiscretions were swept under the carpet. Not sure why - the Californians were responsible for introducing the "partying" & drug culture to British speedway in the early 80's. No doubt Shawn & Kelly were great guys if you were a mate, but I'm not sure I condoned what they did, nor do I now. Same can be said of Carter. Great rider, yes, but how can you condone what he did? You can't. Nor can you with Ward. Characters we want, drugs, racing under the influence, murderers & the like, we certainly don't.

• Like 1

There is hardly ever a bad word said about the Morans, they are regarded as heroes, when the reality is they made Darcy look like an angel.

Likewise Carter, folk are constantly going on about what a 'great guy' he was and waxing lyrical about his riding. He was a murderer, Nothing more, nothing less, what he did on a bike is irrelevant.

As regards the 'lack of characters' it is very often the very same people who bang on about the great characters of the past who are the first to speak out in outrage at a slight indiscretion of a modern day rider.... we're seeing some of those very people on this thread.

Yes - me.

Jack Millen was indeed a villain but he was never involved in any serious Crime that I know of.

I admire Darcy as a Rider. I sympathise totally with Darcy in his current predicament.

I cannot, however, ignore or condone some of his off Track behaviour though.

• Like 2

Much of the public aren't as 'gullible' these days either to the various stunts riders would pull.

I don't mean that harshly as I look back fondly on such times as a young lad.

• Like 3

What about the antics of some of the promoters and/or team managers? I used to enjoy the spectacle of team managers engaging with the referee on the phone at the start line and gesticulating over a decision! I remember a conversation I had with the late Bernard Crapper asking him what he used to say to the referee. He stated that he often was just passing the time of the day with the referee but wished to wind up the crowd and install some 'atmosphere' to the proceedings! The likes of Ian Thomas would also create 'mischief' to help along proceedings!

Yes! He is no longer "within the sport."

Sadly no longer with us.

I remember when he 'engaged' in conversation with Soldier Boy (another character) over a decision with fingers pointing adding to the entertainment!

• Like 1

Brian Foote and Ted Hubbard. Two of the finest hard riding characters alongside the Kennett brothers and Arthur Price, a Boston legend who got whooped by Ivan Miller at Rayleigh, a race i still remember some forty odd years later. Today very few if any that hold stick to these guys

• Like 1

So you feel that people condone the Moran's being under the influence when racing? Or Carter murdering his wife? Interesting.

No, I don't feel people condone those actions, but my point is those riders are held up as "characters" from the past.

And despite the fact that no-one even then condoned riding drunk or under the influence, it's fair to say the Morans/Cook were regarded as "fun-loving Americans," People reminisce fondly about riders getting on the lash with fans after meetings. Whereas today, riders ttaking recreational drugs and getting hammerred (to the extent of missing the odd meeting due to it) woudln't be accepted.

Carter was always the ultimate love him or hate him character. And certainly even on here there have at least parrtially defended his actions, stating things like the murder of his wife was "a personal matter", or attacked though who label him a murderer.

The characters are out there but if they dare show any 'characterful' behaviour they will be fined a couple of weeks wages!

Forget the double points rule, play offs etc, sanitising the sport is what is really killing it. Mad, bad and dangerous will always pull a crowd - family friendly won't.

• Like 1

You can still like a drink and woman and be a character though. Billy Janniro managed it. Loved at Coventry, he was certainly a character but he never turned up drunk or got arrested for taking drugs.

You can still like a drink and woman and be a character though. Billy Janniro managed it. Loved at Coventry, he was certainly a character but he never turned up drunk or got arrested for taking drugs.

Give it a rest you saddo.

Sorry, what? I some people are suggesting you can't be a character without condemnation, I pointed out Billy Janniro managed it.

I won't hold my breath awaiting an apology for an unnecessary attack that makes no sense at all as I'd only made the single post on the thread. :oops:

Edited by SCB

No, I don't feel people condone those actions, but my point is those riders are held up as "characters" from the past.

And despite the fact that no-one even then condoned riding drunk or under the influence, it's fair to say the Morans/Cook were regarded as "fun-loving Americans," People reminisce fondly about riders getting on the lash with fans after meetings. Whereas today, riders ttaking recreational drugs and getting hammerred (to the extent of missing the odd meeting due to it) woudln't be accepted.

Carter was always the ultimate love him or hate him character. And certainly even on here there have at least parrtially defended his actions, stating things like the murder of his wife was "a personal matter", or attacked though who label him a murderer.

I accept your view, but I think there is a difference between characters & the kind of thing you are referring to. Winding up the crowd as the likes of Len Silver, Jack Millen etc used to do plus other "antics" were just that - antics. What we are referring to with some of the others, most certainly is not. Appreciate some may have defended the riders referred to & help them up as characters, but I most certainly did not.

Errr, WTF?

• Like 1

Sorry, what? I some people are suggesting you can't be a character without condemnation, I pointed out Billy Janniro managed it.

I won't hold my breath awaiting an apology for an unnecessary attack that makes no sense at all as I'd only made the single post on the thread. :oops:

You've written exactly the same thing on other threads in the past, you've had more digs than my gardener. No apology!