British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayPortal

Isle Of Wight Wightlink Warriors 2016

What was the attendance?

At a guess 250 ish

I read on Facebook an estimate of just below 400.

I ve been panned many times for over estimating crowd sizes so I stay conservative this time :)

• Like 1

Does any other BSF member find the IoW website difficult to follow?

Yes, the clearly have put a lot of work in, but as you say it's hard to use.

It feels clunky, and the man with the crash helmet makes it hard to read.

I ve been panned many times for over estimating crowd sizes so I stay conservative this time :)

I thought your estimate was a bit high :o:D

Like Teaboy says they've put a lot of work in so I don't want to knock it but tbh I used the portal website instead of the official website.

Hi guys, my apologies for not getting on the forum recently. However, I am back now and this coming week the media channel will be updated and tweaked along with working with the guys on the website.

All of your comments are welcome and taken on board, and we will look into them when working on the website etc.

It was a shame that the 4TT meeting was rained off, but the opening individual meeting was a great success and a good start to the season for the new promotion. The first team match last Thursday at home to Kent was a brilliant meeting, although the Warriors didn't get the result they were going for. There was some great races with multiple passing maneuvers in many heats, and the crowd was up from the previous week, although the forecast for that meeting wasn't good so I would suspect quite a few gave it a miss. The track did produce a lot of dust, well quite a bit actually, however with that exception the track held up well and was consistent throughout.

Regarding the attendance figures, like teaboy279 I too am not a good judge of those numbers, and I guess if I estimated it I'm going to either be over or under, so I prefer to stay away from those figures. But I would say we were happy with the opening meeting crowd, and Thursdays meeting was a step in the right direction so all is buoyant and good.

Many thanks

Andy

P.S, DVD's of the first individual meeting are now on sale. For £7, you get the full Vince Mapley Individual Meeting and 2 bonus features, 35 minutes of press and practice day and all the footage taken from the rained off 4TT meeting. All are shot on dual cameras by Speedway Portal, and include interviews, live commentary and much more. If anyone is interested message me on here and I can get them sent out to you.

• Like 1

Andy, is there any way you could alert people once you've got the meeting video up on the portal and it's available to buy? Just something simple like send a generic e-mail out to those who subscribe to the alert or tweet it and it's reminding those who may have forgotten also.

To get the IOW up and running again is a feat in itself,However i fear the team needs strengthening to maintain a reasonable crowd level that will enable it to continue running after this season

To get the IOW up and running again is a feat in itself,However i fear the team needs strengthening to maintain a reasonable crowd level that will enable it to continue running after this season

Letting Perks go will prove to be a big mistake. He'll average more than Compton this year, Dugard could have replaced Johnson and then there would have been points freed up for further changes if needed imo.

Edited by Ben91
  • Like 3

I hope Lee Smart does well--just booked our hotel for August :t:

Will travel to IOW on a Tuesday, but complain about a Sunday meeting at Rye House?

Last time I was at Smallbrook was for a PL meeting against Berwick in October, possibly in their last season before closing. There were no more than 150 people there. I hope the crowds pick up once the holiday season starts.

Sorry to say, but I don't think speedway is sustainable on the island

Edited by Shads

Sad to say shads I have to agree with you. The crowds in the islands last NL season were poor, with a lot of mainlanders boosting the numbers. Two years on and the state of british speedway is worse than it was in 2013. Hopefully all the hard work that has been put in will be rewarded with more support from the locals.

Perks actually looks a better rider than any one on the I o w books,,a top class no 1 is vital for starters