British Speedway Forum

As I said, the whole point of a forum is debate. I take your point regarding Pedersen, I just don't rate him as highly as the other Danes. That's all. As for the comparison with Crump, Crump finished in the top 3 10 years in a row and that isn't something Nicki did. I don't see that Crump had any poor years, apart from the last season or two and even then they were only poor by his own incredibly high standards.

I'm not saying Nicki isn't a great, I think he is, but I think there are other Danes and others better. I fully understand that someone doesn't win three titles at that level without being a bit special, as I said about Hans. I just feel Hans, Erik and Ole were better.

Ease bear in mind, though, it's just opinion, which everyone is free to disagree with.

I also fully appreciate that it's hard-impossible even - to compare riders from different eras and I've tried to be reasonable in assessing them and I don't think I'm too far off the mark on the main.

• Like 2

Some interesting points and it shows that it's all about opinions and people have different opinions..

If I were to give my all time best riders from those I saw then I'd go Erik Gundersen , Hans Nielsen , Sam Ermolenko, Michael Lee and Peter Collins

I started going in 1978 so it's an era thing really..I didn't have as much interest when Rickardsson was at the top and I found him a bit dull if I'm honest ..and I'd stopped going when the likes of Jason Crump were at the top because I would think Crump makes any list I would have thought..

I think geography plays a lot in people's views..I was a Belle Vue fan so we only got to see the likes of Scott Autrey once a season and he wasn't that great at Hyde Road so it blinkers views whereas Ermolenko came regularly and was fantastic there ...it was easier to judge northern and midland based riders as we saw them a lot more...I can barely recall seeing Malcolm Simmons at Hyde Road !

Finally I think the most underrated rider is Jan O Pedersen ..I think he suffers by not being at his peak when Nielsen and Gundersen were at theirs but I feel at the time of his accident he was at his real peak and robbed speedway of an all time great and if he'd carried on he would have won more and been rated higher by a lot of people.

• Like 1

A great thread,great that so many people have different opinions that makes no one right or wrong.The thing i might debate is i think Mauger's best years were 68/73 after that even in a GP series he would of had loads of opposition.

A massive statement ask people who you RESPECT? saying that what a pathetic post really PATHETIC have a good think on what you have just said if you av a Brain cell left???

A great thread,great that so many people have different opinions that makes no one right or wrong.The thing i might debate is i think Mauger's best years were 68/73 after that even in a GP series he would of had loads of opposition.

Make your mind up!

• Like 1

I think this is a tremendous Thread. Great History and I have learned quite a bit too.

Most contributors make this a real pleasure to read.

Not sure sindey.Thought Mauger had a great season in 1976 and won in 1977 and also 1979.So he could of won from 1968 through to 1979.Probably wouldn't have,but could possibly

• Like 1

Not sure sindey.Thought Mauger had a great season in 1976 and won in 1977 and also 1979.So he could of won from 1968 through to 1979.Probably wouldn't have,but could possibly

Those are my thoughts too iris123.

Edited by The White Knight

Mauger won have been hard to stop from 1968 to 1975, although Olsen might have just about achieved it in 1972, and Michanek had an exceptional season in 1973.

Around 1976, it would have become a bit more open, PC was flying by then and Olsen also had some very good years. And then Lee came along and would have been a very serious contender in 1979.

IMO I think Ivan would have won around 7 to 9 titles.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

So consistent Iris you could well be right for me after 73 Olsen,Michanek,PC,Crump(for a season or two) maybe Jansson (if not killed ) Lee would all have been mighty challengers to Ivan.But if the format had been the same say as when Mark Loram won it he had every chance saying that most years he entered he had a great chance.
  • Like 1

Mauger won have been hard to stop from 1968 to 1975, although Olsen might have just about achieved it in 1972, and Michanek had an exceptional season in 1973.

Around 1976, it would have become a bit more open, PC was flying by then and Olsen also had some very good years. And then Lee came along and would have been a very serious contender in 1979.

IMO I think Ivan would have won around 7 to 9 titles.

All the best

Rob

I thought Ivan himself said he had a great season in 76,but PC won the title and although PC had a great 77 season Ivan won.I think it is quite possible Ivan could have dominated a decade rather than 5 years as sid say's.Not likely,but possible

Wasn't PC injured when he won?Injury would obviously play more a part in a GP series than a one-off title meeting

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

I thought Ivan himself said he had a great season in 76,but PC won the title and although PC had a great 77 season Ivan won.I think it is quite possible Ivan could have dominated a decade rather than 5 years as sid say's.Not likely,but possible

Wasn't PC injured when he won?Injury would obviously play more a part in a GP series than a one-off title meeting

Over a twelve round series with the format say the same as when Mark won the crown yes Ivan he could of won more the same with Hans i suppose.

Ivan's great season was '75 rather than '76. There was no one rider massively ahead in 1976, although PC won both the Inter-Continental Final and the World Final.

It was in 1977 when PC was injured, just before the World Final. Ran over a drain cover at Belle Vue, He finished second in Gothenburg, in agony with his leg. Before that, he was on awesome form.

All the best

Rob

Like I said,it is unlikely anyone would absolutely dominate a decade,but if anyone could have,of the riders I have seen then that is Ivan

funny font and I can't be bothered to change it!!!!