British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

How Do We Attract A New Young Audience?

I wonder what kids today would think about being forced to drink milk that had sat outside in the sun all morning and had half turned to cream? I also wonder what 'Rotten Boroughs' in Private Eye might have made of a diary owner with the contract to supply school milk sitting on the board of governors...?

I've been churning over that , why would a diary owner supply milk on a daily basis :P

• Like 2

I wonder what kids today would think about being forced to drink milk that had sat outside in the sun all morning and had half turned to cream? I also wonder what 'Rotten Boroughs' in Private Eye might have made of a diary owner with the contract to supply school milk sitting on the board of governors...?

hope they would love it like I did, cream first then the watery milk mmmmmm, love full cream milk to this day 😆

back on thread, maybe stadiums could start selling tickets for birthday presents,like we do theatre tickets?..would be nice to purchase these in advance for speedway fans

Still some good points coming out, such schemes as "birthday" tickets but would have to come from the promotion, maybe there are some in operation?

The biggest asset for spreading the speedway word are the supporters, it is nearly always suggested on here what should be done but what is actually being done, are there any clubs that have a volunteer task force that are set up with the sole aim of increasing attendance? (If we knew what attendance figures were such a task force would have a target to aim for.)

We are constantly being told that supporters are the older age group who are often the ones with time on their hands and that stadiums are getting run down then why not call on their skills to do the places up? I'm sure many would enjoy the challenge.

Still some good points coming out, such schemes as "birthday" tickets but would have to come from the promotion, maybe there are some in operation?

The biggest asset for spreading the speedway word are the supporters, it is nearly always suggested on here what should be done but what is actually being done, are there any clubs that have a volunteer task force that are set up with the sole aim of increasing attendance? (If we knew what attendance figures were such a task force would have a target to aim for.)

We are constantly being told that supporters are the older age group who are often the ones with time on their hands and that stadiums are getting run down then why not call on their skills to do the places up? I'm sure many would enjoy the challenge.

Possibly so would the stadium owners who, in many cases, are not the speedway promoters!

Possibly so would the stadium owners who, in many cases, are not the speedway promoters!

In that case then get the owners to supply the paint etc I'm sure deals could be done and everybody wins.

Sadly the world we live in is beholding to the all conquering game...

You only have to look at the national media to see how many pages are dedicated on paper, magazines, TV and websites to see the influence Football has and how all other sports fight for publicity..

Maybe 'if you cant beat 'em, join 'em'?

Thousands of kids and parents in the local area knowing who you are and what you do cannot be a bad thing?

At my lads presentation days (usually late May BH weekend) there are over 10 hours of presentations to the kids over two days...

Thousands of kids and parents in one place..

Sponsor the occasion, take along a 'roadshow' with dvd's merchandise, bikes, riders, stickers to give away, discounted tickets, take email/mobile details etc etc and who knows?

Maybe some would start to attend?

Being seen as a 'force for good' in the local community is vital these days for national businesses never mind 'local ones'..

When your stock starts to rise within the local community and you are seen as a positive influence on the lives of local people, your customer base can significantly grow on the back of it..

In my business, we have added 1200 customers a week over the past twelve months with independent customer research giving me a 72% rating when asked whether I was a force for good in the community (500 customers asked)..

That is a 40% increase on the year..

However I still have 28% of my customers to work on..!

Working with local schools, sports teams, mosques, churches, charity shops, homeless charities, foodbanks etc etc allowing them to raise funds in my store costs me very little yet delivers lots...

Maybe Speedway teams should focus on being at the 'hub' of their own communities and grow their business that way?

Sadly the world we live in is beholding to the all conquering game...

You only have to look at the national media to see how many pages are dedicated on paper, magazines, TV and websites to see the influence Football has and how all other sports fight for publicity..

Maybe 'if you cant beat 'em, join 'em'?

Thousands of kids and parents in the local area knowing who you are and what you do cannot be a bad thing?

At my lads presentation days (usually late May BH weekend) there are over 10 hours of presentations to the kids over two days...

Thousands of kids and parents in one place..

Sponsor the occasion, take along a 'roadshow' with dvd's merchandise, bikes, riders, stickers to give away, discounted tickets, take email/mobile details etc etc and who knows?

Maybe some would start to attend?

Being seen as a 'force for good' in the local community is vital these days for national businesses never mind 'local ones'..

When your stock starts to rise within the local community and you are seen as a positive influence on the lives of local people, your customer base can significantly grow on the back of it..

In my business, we have added 1200 customers a week over the past twelve months with independent customer research giving me a 72% rating when asked whether I was a force for good in the community (500 customers asked)..

That is a 40% increase on the year..

However I still have 28% of my customers to work on..!

Working with local schools, sports teams, mosques, churches, charity shops, homeless charities, foodbanks etc etc allowing them to raise funds in my store costs me very little yet delivers lots...

Maybe Speedway teams should focus on being at the 'hub' of their own communities and grow their business that way?

Can't see it being of any benefit myself , every footbal fan I know is completely absorbed by the game ,and think everyone else is as well , whenever I see old frineds and workmates it's not long before their conversation turns to football ( at this point I pretend to have urgent business and leave )

Here's an idea that came to me while driving past our local park. Build a skatepark in the grounds of the stadium and keep in open 24 hours a day to get kids in the vicinity. Then let schoolkids into speedway free.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever tried linking up with (where they have them) the local basketball and ice hockey teams?

Only been very rarely to either but the demographic of the crowd at both sports are almost 100% opposite of a speedway crowd..

i.e. exactly the crowd demographic speedway would love to see in its stadiums..

None of the sports seem to make any progress in increasing their crowds to sustainable levels so maybe they should work closer?

I am sure an extra 200 - 300 teenagers to twenty somethings at a speedway meeting wouldn't go amiss and likewise a similar amount of extra thirty to 'whatevers' attending a basketball or ice hockey match would be more than appreciated...

Joint season tickets? Discount vouchers for the others when you attend any? A joined up local marketing campaign to reduce costs and provide a wider reach?

Worth a try or been done and failed?

Coventry Bees seem to announce link ups often but not sure about the benefits. They announced a link up with Wasps a while back so hopeful of something happening there as Wasps make the matchday entertaining before and after matches with decent size crowds. Hopefully Bees can participate in Wasps family fun zones they do before matchdays. Edited by woz01

Coventry Bees seem to announce link ups often but not sure about the benefits. They announced a link up with Wasps a while back so hopeful of something happening there as Wasps make the matchday entertaining before and after matches with decent size crowds. Hopefully Bees can participate in Wasps family fun zones they do before matchdays.

they also had a tie-up with Blaze , did the Blaze a world of good because I know at least 6 people who now go to Ice hockey and not speedway anymore , if I know that many how many do you think actually defected , a few more to wasps and a few more to Coventry City and thats why the speedway terraces are empty , Tie ups are a great idea ,just not for speedway

Mick Horton and Co. seem to get a lot of stick on here at times but they have done more for promoting the Bees than any other previous promoter. Whether their efforts have worked or not I don't know but credit where it's due for trying.

..The biggest asset for spreading the speedway word are the supporters...

Has anyone ever met a new convert to speedway who confessed to being lured into the sport by reading all about it on BSF first? Just wondering like...

Has anyone ever met a new convert to speedway who confessed to being lured into the sport by reading all about it on BSF first? Just wondering like...

I don't mean reading on here to learn about speedway, I mean spread the word in pubs, clubs and on the street with posters and even a chat over the garden fence. All you can do on here is try and motivate supporters to act.

Edited by Skid Sprocket

they also had a tie-up with Blaze , did the Blaze a world of good because I know at least 6 people who now go to Ice hockey and not speedway anymore , if I know that many how many do you think actually defected , a few more to wasps and a few more to Coventry City and thats why the speedway terraces are empty , Tie ups are a great idea ,just not for speedway

It would work if Bees were regular visitors to Wasps games and Wasps were banned from Brandon! I think links with other clubs can work especially on presentation and getting the sport/club noticed.

I don't mean reading on here to learn about speedway, I mean spread the word in pubs, clubs and on the street with posters and even a chat over the garden fence. All you can do on here is try and motivate supporters to act.

That is one thing that annoys me most. It cannot be difficult to put some advertising out and about the city, In Coventry you'd hardly know we had a speedway team. They do attend the odd local event and the advert at showcase cinema was good to see. I even offered on the FB page a year or 2 back to put a poster at my work where over 400 people work. Didnt get a response. Edited by woz01

Here's an idea that came to me while driving past our local park. Build a skatepark in the grounds of the stadium and keep in open 24 hours a day to get kids in the vicinity. Then let schoolkids into speedway free.

Planning permission would be needed and where speedway promoters are only tenants the stadium owners would need to give the okay - and find out what's in it for them?

Edited by Guest

It would work if Bees were regular visitors to Wasps games and Wasps were banned from Brandon! I think links with other clubs can work especially on presentation and getting the sport/club noticed.

That is one thing that annoys me most. It cannot be difficult to put some advertising out and about the city, In Coventry you'd hardly know we had a speedway team. They do attend the odd local event and the advert at showcase cinema was good to see. I even offered on the FB page a year or 2 back to put a poster at my work where over 400 people work. Didnt get a response.

Not to sure if it is still there, but fans could print off a poster from the Newcastle Diamonds and put it in work places, bedrooms, clubs, etc. In most people's experiences, the most profitable/successful contact is an existing speedway supporter bringing a friend/acquantance, and talking them through it during the meeting. Just don't mention TR's, and guests. :P There seems to be a better comeback rate to return with friends, rather than use the freebie or discounted offer and never return again.

• Like 1