British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lestrade1983

Kenny Carter, Question Confused

I was a huge Bruce fan and no doubt his rivalry with KC was good for the sport. Don't agree with riders racing with broken legs, danger to others. Couldn't ride for their team in British league but "fit" to ride in world championships rounds. You declare yourself fit to ride in both or none.

I will never forget the Oxford round how driven he was to compete, he really wanted to be Champion badly the weird thing is if he had ever reached his goal i think he would of been a good WC. Edited by sidney

I was a huge Bruce fan and no doubt his rivalry with KC was good for the sport. Don't agree with riders racing with broken legs, danger to others. Couldn't ride for their team in British league but "fit" to ride in world championships rounds. You declare yourself fit to ride in both or none.

How many times do you see this today as well, when riders are not fit enough to ride in league racing but are okay to compete in the GP? It's a part of the sport which I don't like, but Britain has fallen down the pecking order so much for these "top" riders.

How many times do you see this today as well, when riders are not fit enough to ride in league racing but are okay to compete in the GP? It's a part of the sport which I don't like, but Britain has fallen down the pecking order so much for these "top" riders.

I never understand people who question it, Riders want to be the best they can be

• Like 1

Was privileged to have seen Kenny Carter race many times. Being a Lee supporter, we always gave biased opinions on other greats, thinking Mike was the best . To me, early on, Carter was just a Kid from Yorkshire, trying to measure up at that time. Remembering a night in '83, when accompanying Mike to Halifax for the Golden Helmut. That night Lee was on fire and demolished all Carter efforts. I seem to remember Lee broke the track record in the process, as he won both races by the proverbial mile. But that was a far cry to the person I saw at Coventry winning the British Final on a sodden track with a broken leg. In a meeting when everyone wanted to cancel, Carter really came of age to me when he resisting all those trying to persuade him not to ride. I thought this man has some guts, and for that I held my hand up in support.

He became Box office and was a marked man every where he rode. His friends were few and far between since that British Final , but he never faltered. and for that I admired him. I believe his confrontations with Penhall was stage managed for the benefit of Penhall. Ivan Mauger was aware of Kenny's talent and agree to managed him with the sole intentions of making him the world's No 1. Carter was that good.

The final chapter of his life was a real shame, for everyone. I could never contemplate, what would drive a man to do Kenny's final act . I hope I never find that out, but it doesn't stop me feeling sorrow for all those concerned.

Such a waste of life............

• Like 4

A very good post! I was never a Carter fan, I have to admit, but he obviously had a massive talent...trouble was that injuries at crucial moments during his career didn't help him achieve the ultimate goal. Would he have become World Champion if those awful events hadn't taken place? I don't know but, personally, I felt that his best opportunity was in Los Angeles and if only he hadn't allowed his over bearing father to dictate events in the pits things may well have been different. Would he have made a good World Champion? Can't answer that.

Edited by steve roberts

Was privileged to have seen Kenny Carter race many times. Being a Lee supporter, we always gave biased opinions on other greats, thinking Mike was the best . To me, early on, Carter was just a Kid from Yorkshire, trying to measure up at that time. Remembering a night in '83, when accompanying Mike to Halifax for the Golden Helmut. That night Lee was on fire and demolished all Carter efforts. I seem to remember Lee broke the track record in the process, as he won both races by the proverbial mile. But that was a far cry to the person I saw at Coventry winning the British Final on a sodden track with a broken leg. In a meeting when everyone wanted to cancel, Carter really came of age to me when he resisting all those trying to persuade him not to ride. I thought this man has some guts, and for that I held my hand up in support.

He became Box office and was a marked man every where he rode. His friends were few and far between since that British Final , but he never faltered. and for that I admired him. I believe his confrontations with Penhall was stage managed for the benefit of Penhall. Ivan Mauger was aware of Kenny's talent and agree to managed him with the sole intentions of making him the world's No 1. Carter was that good.

The final chapter of his life was a real shame, for everyone. I could never contemplate, what would drive a man to do Kenny's final act . I hope I never find that out, but it doesn't stop me feeling sorrow for all those concerned.

Such a waste of life............

Is there a meeting video anywhere on YouTube or anywhere else on the interweb for that British Final? The wet one!!

I was at work and could not get to that one.....

Cheers,

Shale Searcher

Is there a meeting video anywhere on YouTube or anywhere else on the interweb for that British Final? The wet one!!

I was at work and could not get to that one.....

Cheers,

Shale Searcher

I have a copy of the highlights of the 1984 British Final on DVD. I obtained a copy from fellow poster 'Moxey63' who maybe able to help you out?

Edited by steve roberts

I have a copy of the highlights of the 1984 British Final on DVD. I obtained a copy from fellow poster 'Moxey63' who maybe able to help you out?

Thanks....

From purely a speedway perspective, there was no more entertaining sight on a bike than Kenny Carter in full flow. I know the mists of time can cloud our memories somewhat but at times he could be absolutely mesmerising on the track.

Carter was the only rider I'd go to another track just to watch.

He was a bums on seat star and as has someone else said, how speedway could do with that today.

Do you think that speedway is becoming sanitised..? Riders not honour lapping, having to remain still at the start line, not frequenting track bars after racing, constant apologies from its broadcaster when agricultural language is used, and when a rider breaks this new breed of cleaner than clean sportsmanlike behaved rider mould, certain sections of the sports global fanbase get offended not only themselves, but on everybody else's behalf!! Doesn't provide the right environmental conditions to breed controversial characters... Talented or not talented.

• Like 3

Thanks; It sure brought back a few memories. Look at how big the crowd was on a wet day..... :t:

• Like 1

Thanks; It sure brought back a few memories. Look at how big the crowd was on a wet day..... :t:

Yea, me too... But was that actually much different to what we get served up today? Obviously it was a far better field, but it was a proper World Championship qualifying round.. Big crowd, no laydowns, Kevlars, Airfences, "jumpers for goalposts" type of memories... But was it better racing? I'm not so sure..

Thanks for the link though.

i would like to thank you all for you input.

As i said at the begginning of th epost i was 18 months old when the tragic events took place.

All i wanted was people personal views which i have got

thank you

• Like 1