British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Igor

Discussion: The World Final 1973 Heat 19

Red's fault.

Terrible rolling start by the rider in White though ~ glad it's not like that these days and the race would have been stopped.

Edited by Gemini

Recently watched this meeting again on DVD. Fascinating race when Chlynovsky wiped out Zenon Plech! Zenon was on course to winning the race and would have taken part in the run-off for the Championship. Peter Collins (who was laying third?) was declared the winner after the Russian was excluded! All hell let loose with riders complaining about the decision...but what a meeting!

• Like 1

Referee, in my opinion, made the wrong decision.

Red's fault.

What is the red's fault? He had walked away from Plech. Poles nothing to do but to bury in Khlynovsky ...

http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/1973_individual_speedway_world_championship

...The result of the two points he gained for second place allowed Plech to finish a clear third in the championship. The ruling, with Khlynovski excluded, should have seen Collins 1st, Gordeev 2nd, and Plech scoring no points after failing to finish. This would have resulted in Plech only finishing the championship on 10 points and in 5th place. Had Khlynovski been the winner of the heat as many believe he should have been, including many of the riders in the meeting, he would have ended on 13 points, which would have put him in the runoff for the title with Szczakiel and Mauger.

I don't understand accusations of a Polish bias by the referee. Dave Lanning went on about it in his commentry.

Yet Peter Collins was given the win in a race that should have either been re run or given to Plech.

I don't understand accusations of a Polish bias by the referee. Dave Lanning went on about it in his commentry.

Yet Peter Collins was given the win in a race that should have either been re run or given to Plech.

Ref could not give it to Plech... big hole in the rules at the time, which meant once a race had finished, positions had to be awarded in the order that (non-excluded) riders had finished. FIM rules changed after this - the race still had to finish before it could be awarded, but ref could award positions at time of incident.

Technically, the referee was correct, although he had put on the red lights, Plech would have got a re-run.

Lanning probably unhappy about Heat 16, when Jancarz moved aside to let Plech gain an extra point.

Just as well that Szczakiel won the meeting - a rider who didn't receive any favours from anyone else. He beat Mauger twice and was a deserving winner.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

Szczakiel - not strong.

Two weeks later at Wembley in the final of the World Team Cup he performed very poorly - 0 points.

Grigoriy Khlynovsky debt Plekh returned when finished the first in heat 4, Malcolm Simmons was second, Bernt Persson - the third and fourth Zenon Plech only ...

Weren't the starts great all night, i.e. a joke, even Mauger struggled with them. Another surprising 'rule' in those days was that a race wasn't necessarily stopped after a rider had fallen and was still on the track. Not the last time this happened at least in a Wolrd Final; Olsen in 1974, Muller in 1976 and Mauger again in 1978. Strange meeting in '73 though, has to be said that Szczakiel was the right winner on the night due to scoring more points than anyone else due to not crashing or being exluded. But how sweet would it have been for Mauger to have passed Szczakiel around turns 1 & 2 as he originally planned. Still........

Szczakiel - not strong.

Two weeks later at Wembley in the final of the World Team Cup he performed very poorly - 0 points.

Grigoriy Khlynovsky debt Plekh returned when finished the first in heat 4, Malcolm Simmons was second, Bernt Persson - the third and fourth Zenon Plech only ...

How Szczakiel performed at Wembley is immaterial. The World Final was about who was the best rider on the day - and he was the best rider on the day in Katowice.

He gained every one of his 13 points fair and square, and wasn't involved in any controversial incidents (Mauger's fall in the run-off was completely of his own making).

Szczakiel deserved to win the meeting.

If Plech had been in the run-off and won, the highly controversial events of the fixed Heat 16 would have been the big story. And it would have given the Sunday People even more ammunition come 1984. It's just as well things shaped out as they did.

All the best

Rob

......Gorka......What is the red's fault? He had walked away from Plech. Poles nothing to do but to bury in Khlynovsky ...

Am I looking at the right race? :lol: Red flicked his back wheel out on the back straight and Yellow fell. I haven't named the riders because I didn't have the sound on otherwise the blinking dog wants to watch as well so I don't know which is which.

• Like 1

Ref could not give it to Plech... big hole in the rules at the time, which meant once a race had finished, positions had to be awarded in the order that (non-excluded) riders had finished. FIM rules changed after this - the race still had to finish before it could be awarded, but ref could award positions at time of incident.

Technically, the referee was correct, although he had put on the red lights, Plech would have got a re-run.

Lanning probably unhappy about Heat 16, when Jancarz moved aside to let Plech gain an extra point.

Just as well that Szczakiel won the meeting - a rider who didn't receive any favours from anyone else. He beat Mauger twice and was a deserving winner.

All the best

Rob

I've just recently re-viewed this meeting and Jerzy did get some amazing 'flyers' (and escaped exclusion on one occasion!) but he was one of many taking advantage of a weak referee on that particular afternoon!

I've just recently re-viewed this meeting and Jerzy did get some amazing 'flyers' (and escaped exclusion on one occasion!) but he was one of many taking advantage of a weak referee on that particular afternoon!

I think most of the riders ended up going through the tapes at one point or another. Didn't one race have three or four re-starts? The riders knew how badly the ref handled the starts at Wembley the year before, and all were trying to gain an advantage.

Michanek was the only rider excluded for breaking the tapes in Katowice despite multiple breaks of them.

All the best

Rob

Red's fault.

Terrible rolling start by the rider in White though ~ glad it's not like that these days and the race would have been stopped.

Yeah Bring back the old days

Oh come on that would be totally unfair on Bomber. He's already 2 seconds behind the other three riders so if rolling starts were allowed they'd be at the first bend before he moved. :lol: