British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trees

The British Final Trophy

Attended the Tatum and Pearson Night at Lynn, was an entertaining night, especially seeing and hearing Mark Loram again, THE MOST popular British racer ever surely? Anyway they had the British Championship Trophy there too, turns out it was the World Speedway Championship Trophy from 1936-38, never knew that and makes it really special. It's got a bloody spelling mistake on it though, I do hope the BSPA will consider getting it sorted soon, how bad is that!!! How long has it been wrong?

Edited by Trees

Attended the Tatum and Pearson Night at Lynn, was an entertaining night, especially seeing and hearing Mark Loram again, THE MOST popular British racer ever surely? Anyway they had the British Championship Trophy there too, turns out it was the World Speedway Championship Trophy from 1936-38, never knew that and makes it really special. It's got a bloody spelling mistake on it though, I do hope the BSPA will consider getting it sorted soon, how bad is that!!! How long has it been wrong?

Yes, World Championship trophy between 1936-1938, the National League championship trophy in the fifties and sixties (last won by Oxford in 1964) and then the British Championship trophy.

It's got quite a history.

All the best

Rob

From memory I believe it is engraved 'BRITISH CHAMPIONSIHP CHALLENGE TROPHY'

And as it has been like that since the sixties ... I'd think we can leave it, don't you?

• Like 3

Attended the Tatum and Pearson Night at Lynn, was an entertaining night, especially seeing and hearing Mark Loram again, THE MOST popular British racer ever surely?

That's discounting Tom Farndon, Peter Craven, Nigel Boocock, Peter Collins . . . .???

• Like 4

Very enjoyable evening though,and great to see Mark Loram

And as it has been like that since the sixties ... I'd think we can leave it, don't you?

Perhaps Orion did the engraving

• Like 2

No, not really, but that's how I feel .... each to their own!

More importantly, why isn't the British Final returning to its rightful home for one last year before Brandon gets bulldozed?

• Like 4

and apparently Tatum was a gating tart

probably Wolves again .. about time it went back to Coventry or to Belle Vue

• Like 1

Frankly the British Final lost its 'aura' years ago in my opinion. I recall the great British Finals of the seventies (when the Aussies and Kiwis were included) and the eighties when Britain had an abundance of talent. The 1974 Final, in particular, was far stronger than many World Final line ups and it was always a tough meeting, especially during the seventies, to qualify from when it was part of the World Championship qualifying round system (unlike the present GP 'invitation' World Championship) During the seventies British Finals included the following - Mauger, Briggs, Moore, Boulger, Collins, Simmons, Jessup, Lee, Ashby, Wilson, Boocock brothers, Kennett, Davis, Betts, Louis, Kilby, Wyer, Pusey, Morton brothers, McMillan, Sanders etc etc.

Edited by steve roberts

Surely it has to be at the new National Stadium this year?

With a stadium like that now in the british leagues armour, most events should surely be held there, include PLRC, NLRC etc...

Edited by Bostonian
  • Like 3