British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1 valve

2017 - 1 Or 2 Fixed Race Nights And When?

Sadly characters such as stevebrum can only continue shouting wild assumptions into the wind.

Yes we'll lose people him and that could well be a mercy for many. Why pander to people like him if the price is trying to maintain the current farce, dreaming that if we do a few simple things then the 'names' will come flocking back.

Stevebrum, love him or loathe him, is at least a regular fan with a love of the sport. Like most other passionate supporters he talks with a mixture of sense and nonsense with a bias towards his own club. The sport is much better of with the stevebrums of this world than the armchair fans that offer advice but don't go as far as actually going through the turnstiles, for whatever reason.

• Like 4

One/two night racing is a good idea in theory but in practice it will never work.............

Two reasons - one is that most stadia are shared with other users and and therefore may be expected to change the nights their events are held which could be to the detriment of their sports................

Two - local authority restrictions of use................example each club has a set race night but do they have to get permission from the local council to race on a different night or if they can race til a different time Poole race Wednesday with the occasional Monday for TV and have permission to race Thursdays as well as an alternative race night...........not all teams have that option............

RP

• Like 1

If we ever fall that low then it's game over for us a professional sport.

With a loss of probably 20-25% of its audience.

That will be a sad day for speedway, and the day I give up on taking the sport I love seriously anymore and the loss of a regular fan.

Havent the 'top riders' ridden over here for most of the past 20 years and the crowd levels have been decimated in this time?

I actually think that the way the league restricts teams in putting competitive sides together all season long has had far more impact on the ever dwindling attendances than possibly any other reason considered. (Apart from maybe an admission fee which reflects more the out of control operating cost levels rather than the sports standing in the consciousness of the wider sports watching public)..

Look at these numbers..

2011 58 - 22

2012 72 - 15

2013 56 - 30

2014 70 - 25

2015 65 - 27

These numbers are the points scored by the top and bottom teams at the end of the season (Brum has not been used for 2014 figures as they didnt complete their fixtures and BV who have been included in 2012's figures had two matches not raced)

I can virtually guarantee that the teams bottom of the league each season, cut miles adrift, ended their home meetings with far less fans than they started the season with...

I have mentioned elsewhere the year we brought Crump back, to do so we had to lose Risager as we would have been 'too strong'. He went to the team who were at that time 50 points in front of us!! Absolutely Crackers!

The sport takes great lengths for everyone to start the season 'equal' yet every year there is a huge disparity between the top and bottom...

The solution?

Possibly with there being 28 matches, maybe after 10 and then 20, a 'transfer window' opens and all teams are then able to strengthen up to the team with the highest average?

This may also help bring 'top riders' back as teams (like BV did with Crump) realise desperate measures are needed to appease discontented supporters who have voted with their feet, and the riders may see a shorter term contract as a possibility..

One thing is for sure, as we see year on year, teams getting hammered at home week in week out will be racing in front of an ever decreasing fan base..

Maybe working out how to lessen that all too familiar scenario would be more beneficial to the sport overall than a 'lets get Tai back and everything will be ok' plan?

Competitive teams, all season through, may not attract any new fans, but I suggest it would help the clubs down the league in particular maintain most of its fan base which can only help the sports overall position.

If it includes 'top riders' great, if it doesn't, so be it...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

I like the idea of a window at which point any club can strengthen their team up to the highest average in the league.

Havent the 'top riders' ridden over here for most of the past 20 years and the crowd levels have been decimated in this time?

Yes I agree crowds have dwindled as a pattern with every weakening. However you have to include those who have grown tired of the way the sport is run over the same period as a valid point also and what is clear in the say past 5-6 years crowds have gone from what looks like a fair crowd (in consideration of other leagues) to almost barely breaking even.

Crowds have dwindled but it's been about 6-10 years since the majority of top riders and upcoming young talent used to be here so the decline has been rapid and noticeable in comparison to the slower dwindling years.

I guess this is what the BSPA have also noticed (who can really tell what they notice given the short term measures they have tried before) and it's not rocket science that the top riders bring more people thru the terraces. Just goes to show how desperate attendances have become for them to finally try and reverse the halt.

As is always it's likely to be too little too late.

• Like 1

One/two night racing is a good idea in theory but in practice it will never work.............

Two reasons - one is that most stadia are shared with other users and and therefore may be expected to change the nights their events are held which could be to the detriment of their sports................

Two - local authority restrictions of use................example each club has a set race night but do they have to get permission from the local council to race on a different night or if they can race til a different time Poole race Wednesday with the occasional Monday for TV and have permission to race Thursdays as well as an alternative race night...........not all teams have that option............

RP

Every team has ridden on a Monday at home with no problem at all ..what team in the el and when has a team been stopped riding on a certain night by there local authority ?

As for your first point no team is going to need to change there race night to when there stadium is used by someone else ,

Sure but as the standard has dropped so have the crowds .

Edited by orion

Interesting idea MikeBV, which in theory would be a good one.. However, I think it might disgruntle some fans and we might get a lot of people suggesting that riders would possibly be lowering their averages approaching the 'transfer window'. For example, half a team might deliberately pull up so that theyre average is lower, so that management can replace someone with a considerably higher average...

Or how about a transfer window where teams can strengthen up to a team average equal to that of the league leaders? At the moment teams can only go up to 45 or whatever the limit is, so if a team at the top is riding to an average of 50 or 55, a team at the bottom still cannot in theory match them.

Or how about a transfer window where teams can strengthen up to a team average equal to that of the league leaders? At the moment teams can only go up to 45 or whatever the limit is, so if a team at the top is riding to an average of 50 or 55, a team at the bottom still cannot in theory match them.

Great idea...😀😀

That sounds far too sensible for s/way :D

Stevebrum, love him or loathe him, is at least a regular fan with a love of the sport. Like most other passionate supporters he talks with a mixture of sense and nonsense with a bias towards his own club. The sport is much better of with the stevebrums of this world than the armchair fans that offer advice but don't go as far as actually going through the turnstiles, for whatever reason.

Well said El Addio, we all have our opinions either fair, biased or nonsensical at times.

The love of the sport brings us all here.

Some tho seem intent on putting down others and attacking instead of contributing or use that a scan excuse.

I certainly won't be forced quiet by certain posters like rmc.

Most of us are here for the love of our sport.

Since some clubs are struggling to sign good enough riders that get them up to the team building limit of 40.5 how are they going to find riders that get them up to a higher limit ?

Since some clubs are struggling to sign good enough riders that get them up to the team building limit of 40.5 how are they going to find riders that get them up to a higher limit ?

Some foreign riders may just want to do part of a season, anyway it is not to get top riders the idea is to strengthen the teams rather than the dumbing down that takes place most years. It also allows clubs to put them back in a position to fight for a playoff spot if they can afford it and if the right riders are willing to be signed up.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

Interesting idea MikeBV, which in theory would be a good one.. However, I think it might disgruntle some fans and we might get a lot of people suggesting that riders would possibly be lowering their averages approaching the 'transfer window'. For example, half a team might deliberately pull up so that theyre average is lower, so that management can replace someone with a considerably higher average...

Of course there will be some manipulation, it is Speedway after all mate!

It would though provide supporters of a poorly performing team with some optimism that their season can still be turned around..

Far too many times a teams' season can be over by May with no realistic chance of the required level of improvement..

If the whole seven man average of the team with the highest figure at the time of the window is used, it would also help negate the big advantage teams can get by having the best reserves...

As previously mentioned when Crumpy came back for a 'cameo' the fast hemorrhaging loss of fans stopped immediately with many returning..

Maybe more 'top riders' could do a similar few weeks rather than a full season..

Also let's be honest a poor team isn't good for either the team's business or the success of the wider league as a whole. My team have been poor for many years till last year and I am sure wouldn't have been a big draw card away from home resulting in a drop in attendances..

I know I have, on many occasions, looked at a poor opposition line up a day or two before the match and thought 'not going to bother' as you can foresee a one sided drubbing on the cards.

Race nights, getting more top riders over etc etc can all be considered as a way of getting fans back..

Maybe just finding a system that keeps all the teams competitive from March to September will keep the stadiums fuller?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Best of all we lose one of the worst forum obsessive bores!

Sadly not, you're still here.

Despite quitting the forum on multiple occasions because some people didn't agree with you.

Interestingly, you mention in your post (that I've mainly edited out as it was full of poisonous venom) that we have 'names' riding round on their own, half a lap clear of the rest. I can only assume you are referring to Premier League? If it's the Elite League, please let me know who these 'names' are...

• Like 1