British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eric i

Standardised Equipment

The BSPA seem keen to introduce standardised engines that are sealed and can only be serviced by a few designated tuners. It is hoped this could reduce costs, level the playing field and make the sport safer. The cost to riders who have already invested heavily in equipment would be massive, however if the engines were introduced over a number of years the riders could plan for it, say national league in 2018, premier in 2019 and elite in 2020.

It does not need to be dragged out that long.

I sincerely hope that it does happen... long overdue with regards to most importantly safety and secondly costs.

The engine tuners have been ripping off riders for a long time and making lots of money.

So how does the BSPA plan fit in with the rest of the world. Poland, Sweden, Denmark etc and what happens to GP riders and SWC?

Surely, if we are talking about UK domestic speedway, those riders, whoever they are, abide by the rules of the new restrictions. Riders riding abroad, abide by their restrictions, whether they be similar or different. As for GPs and the SWC, the riders adhere to their rules, whether similar or different. Unless I am missing something? (Probably am!)

It would make more sense to introduce them from the top down, then riders could sell their old gear to riders down a league. :drink:

Edited by tyretrax
  • Like 3

It would make more sense to introduce them from the top down, then riders could sell their old gear to riders down a league. :drink:

Exactly.

The BSPA seem keen to introduce standardised engines that are sealed and can only be serviced by a few designated tuners. It is hoped this could reduce costs, level the playing field and make the sport safer. The cost to riders who have already invested heavily in equipment would be massive, however if the engines were introduced over a number of years the riders could plan for it, say national league in 2018, premier in 2019 and elite in 2020.

The riders were informed of this at a pre-season meeting and were said to be in favour.

It would only happen if it is world wide and I can't see it happening.

I can see a set of rules on engines possibly coming in eventually but to get all leagues to agree would be hard to achieve especially if that includes FIM meetings as well.

Exactly.

The riders were informed of this at a pre-season meeting and were said to be in favour.

The retired Oliver Allen and Daniel King were but try convincing riders that ride abroad more and won't want different equipment in other leagues.

Please make this happen... I can't think of anything negative about this decision.

Maybe make it standard engines for team events...do what you like in individual events...then fade that out?

Fair point but I think the top riders would need to be told years in advance as they would want to get some use out of all their expensive equipment before they sold it on at cut down prices.

• Like 1

This may have been covered before...so excuse me for asking...but if Speedway goes to a standard engine, is there any reason why it cannot run on fuel that is not methanol?

Just thinking of costs and possible sponsorship/advertising etc.

It does not need to be dragged out that long.

I sincerely hope that it does happen... long overdue with regards to most importantly safety and secondly costs.

The engine tuners have been ripping off riders for a long time and making lots of money.

Engine tuners ripping riders off ? Take it you have not read the article in this weeks speedway star, 5 page interview on Peter johns

• Like 4

It would only happen if it is world wide and I can't see it happening.

I can see a set of rules on engines possibly coming in eventually but to get all leagues to agree would be hard to achieve especially if that includes FIM meetings as well.

The retired Oliver Allen and Daniel King were but try convincing riders that ride abroad more and won't want different equipment in other leagues.

Don't they already have that and don't some riders actually use tuners who are local to that particular league?

This may have been covered before...so excuse me for asking...but if Speedway goes to a standard engine, is there any reason why it cannot run on fuel that is not methanol?

Just thinking of costs and possible sponsorship/advertising etc.

I know that Paul Gachet test rode a bike that ran on petrol back in 1976! Also wasn't there an initiative to use Honda engines some years back but the BSPA (?) showed little enthusiasm for the idea? Eric Boocock was involved in some capacity I seem to recall.

• Like 1

So riders throw away all engine's they currently have,as there would be no market for them, and then buy the new standard ones.

some that do their own engines will now have to pay someone else to do them, oh and pay to send them off.

we have never paid more than £150 for labour to have an engine serviced, imo that's not expensive for a good days work, compare that to say having your gas boiler or car repaired by a professional.

As for safer can't see how,the nature of our spirt is what it is,and to an extent that's why we love it and they race it.

Edited by KN1
  • Like 3

So riders throw away all engine's they currently have,as there would be no market for them, and then buy the new standard ones.

some that do their own engines will now have to pay someone else to do them, oh and pay to send them off.

we have never paid more than £150 for labour to have an engine serviced, imo that's not expensive for a good days work, compare that to say having your gas boiler or car repaired by a professional.

As for safer can't see how,the nature of our spirt is what it is,and to an extent that's why we love it and they race it.

'We' might love it but nobody else does.